1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7 years apart

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Dare2bProud

I'm sure this has been address on here before, however, I've been in this situation before because it ended badly with too many friends interfering with the relationship and such. I'm currently talking to a guy right now, we just met this past weekend, we are just talking. He's 19 and I'm 26. My friends are so judgmental about it, even when I tell them that I'm just "talking" to him. Is 7 years that big of a difference? Is a relationship that hasn't even started yet already doomed because of an age difference? I feel like that. He's interesting, mature for his age, and we have a lot in common (performing arts and such). I just feel like I'm dooming myself before anything gets started.

2. kettleoffish

It's not necessarily a bad thing in itself. What can happen though is that the two people become inequal in the relationship, often with the younger looking at the older as an almost father figure. As long as both of you feel like each others' equals, there's no reason for age to be a big deal.

My boyfriend is two years younger than me, which may not be much of a gap, but it makes him 13 (as I'm 15) so a lot of people think that our relationship is kind of 'wrong' because he is quite young, but he acts and looks older, and I don't think of him as any younger than me, and I don't think he thinks o me as being significantly older, so it does seem to work :slight_smile:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

Not necessarily. Maturity levels vary from person to person and you will find at times that 19 or 20 year old guys are maturer than guys that are in their mid-20s. As you get to know him better will you be able to judge as to whether he is the right person as well as his maturity level. As long as you two can respect each others wishes, and feelings, I think it is fine.

I think it really depends on the both of you in terms of what you are looking for in a relationship. If you feel that he is mature for his age, you two have some common ground and you feel comfortable with it, I would say go for it. Does it really matter that much as to what your friends think about it?

The most important thing here is that you do what you feel is right for you. You have mentioned that he is an interesting person and you have things in common. If he makes you feel good, go for it! Take it slow though and see how it develops.

4. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Both adults means it's okay.

Plus 7 isn't that large...

5. justinishere

I wouldn't say that a relationship would be doomed. If you both have a lot in common and share common interested, and he is mature for his age then go for it. Life is too short to be worrying about if something will not work out or not. If it doesn't work, it is something to expect not because of the age difference but because there was no spark anymore. Don't just right into things but take your time to get to know each other to make sure it really works out :slight_smile:

Hope it does though! Congrats on finding such a great sounding guy :slight_smile:

6. shorty

7. Jim1454

I don't see a problem with it. Your friends are being overly judgemental. Perhaps they don't understand that the 'dating pool' for LGBT people is significantly smaller - and we don't always find someone that is compatible within a year or two of our own age.

I'd say go for it. You'll either find that you like each other in the 'boyfriend' way or that you just end up being friends. Either way, you win. Good luck.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends so much on the two of you. If he is a mature 19 year old and your relationship is one of equals -- he isn't dependent on you, either emotionally, financially, or otherwise, and the relationship is one of interdependence -- then there's no reason to think it doesn't have a good chance for success. If it is more of a dependency relationship then it is more likely to have problems.

7 years might seem like a pretty big gap right now, but if the relationship lasts, in 10 years, it won't be at all :slight_smile: