1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Trouble Finding Gay friends or more.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HackmanWIU, Nov 3, 2009.

1. HackmanWIU

First off, I have zero gay friends and aren't aware of anyone. I live at a university town, but everyone I go it seems so hard to read people or find anyone for that matter. For instance, my friend's roommate, I find him really attractive, get along with him and what not, but I can't figure out if he is closeted or not. He does stuff that makes me continue to think about him but I don't want to come off as creepy or embarrass him (My Friend thinks he could be gay). I also would never want to try and out someone for my own personal benefit or for any other reason. I guess I am just ranting cause I am tired of being alone or the third and fifth wheel so to speak :icon_sad: Any Thoughts?

2. justinishere

Isn't this just the problem everyone is having :slight_smile: The only way you can really tell if someone is gay or not is simply just by asking them. Maybe if you and your friends roommate spent a little more time to get to know each other better and really find out. You can ask him questions about girls (I know if can be not appealing lol), who he finds attractive, etc. Otherwise the only way you can really know for sure is by asking him. Read the signs that he gives off. Best of luck!

3. Nitro

Is there a campus or nearby pride organization? These can make a great start. If you feel up to it you could wear something that casually outs you (ex: rainbow patch on your bag) and let the future gay friends or more come to you.

4. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Me too. You're not alone. The people I have talked to who are gay are becoming more and more pushy and pressuring me into doing things (stereotypical gay cultural things- sex clubs, hook up bars, glory h*les- yeah, that! LOL) that I'm not ready to do yet so I stopped talking to them. It's hard to find friends (gay, straight, or understanding) anywhere. I feel your pain.

5. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

But what if he's scared to admit he's gay and then he lies and because of his fear both of you could miss out on what could be a beautiful relationship? Do you know this guy well enough that he could confide in you? Can he trust you or is he an acquaintance? That makes a difference. But I TOTALLY feel the same as you do. Good luck regardless :slight_smile:

6. HackmanWIU

I've known him for about 3 years, but its not like we are very close friends. I would say a friend of a friend to say the least. He is a quite, shy, type he is only pretty vocal and honest when he is drunk, which I don't see until everyone is back at my friend's place late.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have that problem too. Hanging with my straight friends isn't the same, but I have one 2 gay friends and we're not closer at all.

8. Jim1454

Get out and join the LGBT group on campus. That's the best place to start.

Make it a little more obvious that you're gay - wear a pin or put up some posters in your room that make it obvious.

I just put the suggesting in another thread that you could also put up an online ad. I did that and found it to be helpful. I got some really great and sincere responses from people, and I'm good friends with one of the guys 2.5 years later. Another I regularly correspond via email with him.

9. HackmanWIU

Thanks for the replies!