1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In person or through a letter???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by drake86, Nov 9, 2009.

1. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have those who have come out to various people found that it is better to do it in person or through an email or letter? I get so anxious when thinking about telling someone to their face that it almost prevents me from wanting to come out.

2. Paragon

Paragon Guest

TXT mssge FTW
    so much easier, txt messages are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on who you're coming out to, but coming out letters can work really well. They can be very personal (they're not impersonal just by virtue of being letters), and you can draft them out and make sure they say everything you want them to say, without the risk that you'll trip over your tongue, say something you didn't want to in the heat of the moment, or forget something you really wanted to say. If you do want to come out face-to-face, writing something out beforehand doesn't hurt - just a quick plan of the points you want to make.

4. Confusicus

Confusicus Guest

I think coming out in person is by far the most difficult to do, but you get immediate feedback. Which is great if it is positive, and even good if it's negative because you will know to quit wasting your time with that person. A letter sounds like a great idea, like Maddy said you can make sure you say everything you want to say and nothing you don't want to. It will also give that person some time to respond, so they might think more rationally and not be shocked by it as much. Havn't used text messaging yet, seems kind of informal to me but I guess I'm old fashioned. Good luck and I hope it goes well!

5. x2x2x2x2y2

It really does depend on the person. If it was a parent I would say in person. A friend or sibling in person or text or email. Depends...

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say the more personal, the better. So, roughly in order:

In person
    In person handing person a note
    Phone
    Letter/note
    Text

Text is worst mainly because they tend to be so damn short. "OMG IM GAY" leaves open a lot of questions- are you serious? Are you just playing around? How do you feel about it? How is the receiver supposed to take it? Yes, they can always respond and ask, but the other methods let you say a bit more. :slight_smile:

Lex