1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long-Distance Relationship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 19rockr, Nov 10, 2009.

1. 19rockr

19rockr Guest

Near Lexington, KY, by 45 miles to the east.
    I've been wondering about this since I've gotten with my online boyfriend...
    It's taken me awhile to trust that's not some creep out to get whoever he can, that it's really him...
    We love each other dearly, and I was going to ask him if he wants to live with me...
    How does long-distance relationships work? Do they work out?

2. Shevanel

They can work out, but it's not easy. At all.

3. epiphanies

How long have you known him? Have you ever met him in person?

I am currently in a long-distance relationship, but we are only about 2 hours apart. I'm a senior in college and she's working full time. It is pretty difficult, but we make it work. Somehow we find ways to talk to each other and see each other fairly frequently. It still sucks though. There are times when all I need is to talk to her, see her, hold her, and it sucks not being able to always do that. However, when we are together, I feel amazing. I think long-distance relationships can work out if you put in the effort and have a lot of trust.

4. xequar

My BF and I live 4.5 hours apart, and we've been together over a year now. We see each other pretty much every weekend, too.

But it's a lot of driving and money. The trick is to talk a lot, text or call or something.

5. justinishere

Well it depends how far away you live from each other. It is very difficult to have a long distance relationship. I had one and it lasted a day, only because he lied to me upfront about being 17 and from the same state that I was in. Turns out he was 23 and from the east coast.

Be careful because it can be scary when you meet people online!

6. xequar

Meeting someone online and doing a long-distance relationship is, I'm sure, entirely different from my case, where I met my BF at a party in real-life.

7. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Truth is that Long distance relationships can work, they are a lot more difficult than usual relationships but there's no doubt that it can be a success. Erik was living in Norway when I first started speaking to him on this website, I was living in England. I finally took a holiday a month or so later, followed by several more trips to Norway - seems that we became somewhat serious and unseperable ;-) Spending a lot of time speaking on MSN, webcam, etc.

After the first half a year he comes and studies in England for 10 months.. still 3hours drive away, but a lot closer. And now almost two years later we're still together and I'm living in Norway with him :-D.

So.. I think they can work pretty happily.. but both parties have to be willing to sacrafice a little.

Good Luck

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Awwww your still with him =]

9. Fiorino

From my experience, they can work, and they can also fail, it depends on the dedication the two people have to eachother and what they're willing to sacrifice for the relationship. My relationship went very well for two months and then communication issues started to take their toll and I ended up breaking up with him. Just know that it's a lot harder than a short-distance one!

10. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

See the "romantic moments of your life" thread about my long distance relationship. We are head over heals for each other so i think its going to work!

11. littledinosaurs

I personally think it takes a really strong connection and a certain type of person to be able to pull off a long distance relationship. You have to know yourself in order to decide if it'll work, but heck why not try it? The worst that can happen is your breakup, and it's always a bad idea to avoid a relationship for the possibility that it'll end.

12. 19rockr

19rockr Guest

Near Lexington, KY, by 45 miles to the east.
    that' funny...there's this saying.
    "Love is like giving someone a gun, having them point it at your heart, and trusting to never pull the trigger"

And Thankx everyone for the responses...the bad thing is that we've been going stale...and I'm honestly feeling guilty. Although we've been together for a couple of weeks, I got in this relationship for the wrong reason, which is why I 'm upset about myself. I confused lust for love...and that's wrong. The really bad thing is this: he's in love with me... I can't go on with this because I'm just leading him on, and I'm not the type of person to do that.

Any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated. But please don't chastise me for this, I already feel bad about this...

13. s5m1

I am a little bit confused here about your relationship. You have been together for “a couple of weeks,” have never met and, yet, you are considering moving in with him? Don’t you think it makes more sense to get to know someone, in person, and for more than a couple of weeks, before you consider moving in with them?

14. tinkerbell2790

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    yes they do work but i depends can you trust your other not to screw around with other people behind your back ....are they faithful ? can they be trusted?

15. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend of mine is currently in a long distance relationship with his boyfriend too. It has it's ups and downs but he seems to get through all right. He worries a lot when his boyfriend doesn't call and talk to him or doesn't get to his calls quickly. I guess that's the hardest part, being able to trust that the person your with is remaining faithful to you even though they can not see you. He lives in MA and his boyfriend lives in NC... they've only met once in person but he insists that they are madly in love. I personally think that physical contact is really important, even if it's just talking in person. I know I would have a lot of trouble dating someone who was so far away that I couldn't hang out with them like ever.