1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psychological, or ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LostLurker, Nov 11, 2009.

1. LostLurker

So, this might possibly be a better fit for the health section, but I don't think so. Anyways, here's the story (sorry if I ramble).
    I was all enthusiastic about next semester, seeing as I'm making a big move (literally and otherwise), and changing my life around. Been like that since the beginning of October or so. Flash forward to a week from this past Saturday, and I come down with a flu. By Tuesday it broke. But then it turned out on Friday that I'd gotten bronchitis.
    Prior to that, the fever seemed manageable, and I was getting a little bummed from being stuck sick (missed a week+ of classes). But by the time I found out I had bronchitis, I was really wiped from the fatigue. I'm pretty much over that now, which is why it's not a health issue. But...it completely wiped out my enthusiasm, excitement, and feelings of being okay with my current situation.
    I feel discouraged now, lonely, like I'm missing out. Being sick did trigger the same feelings I had when I was going through depression, so I guess that's part of it. And I keep being told that it's temporary, that it happens with being sick, but I just don't feel it(the enthusiasm) coming back. Thinking about the classes I missed, and catching up just gives me a headache.
    Does anyone have experience with this? DOES it pass, or is there something I need to do? I don't even feel that excited about things I'm supposed to (got a neat birthday gift, was looking for a new laptop, etc.). Mostly I'm just bummed out. o_o

2. Jim1454

If you're struggling a little with life, anything set back can feel bigger than it is. And it sounds like this is what has happened here. I'm also easily discouraged some times - especially if things build up. I manage with a lot of stuff, and then there's that 'straw that breaks the camel's back' - you know?

Remember that you have to accept the things you can not change. You had no control over your illness - and you did the right thing by staying home. There's nothing you can do about the past week either.

Try not to worry too much about the future either. Focus on today. And take actions that are proactive. Speak to your teachers / professors and make them aware that you were sick, and doing your best to catch up. Ask them for advice and show a genuine interest in catching up.

At the same time, the things you've been looking forward to previously are still things you can look forward to.

3. Idunnohereitis

oh dude for sure thats cuz you are lonley. when you are better go to the first social event you can. Seems like you are a person who likes to socialize and have things to do.. a week alone can really alter somebody who is regularly involved with social things like schooling or work and stuff

itll get better :slight_smile:

4. RaeofLite

Can you maybe talk to an oncampus counsellor? They are super helpful. I've been to a couple universities myself and they are all very helpful and understanding. And FREE.

:slight_smile: Just to talk and vent it out. It's confidential too. They might give you ideas how to better life and maybe get back on the optimistic track or incentive to go to the learning centre to help with schoolwork (there's no shame in this either).

Please do it for yourself. You deserve it.