1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People's views on my situation.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by san39730, Nov 12, 2009.

1. san39730

san39730 Guest

First off I should say that I have known I was gay since...forever. I knew I was different by eight years old but haven't been able to a definition to it until I was thirteenth. I have been pretty pragmatic about the situation. I knew what I was but never told anyone because first, it was none of their business, and second, I knew that it would not go over well, at all, family especially. I'm now 23 years old, college graduate, and future law student, and I still haven't told anyone. Part of the problem is that I don't know if this is what I want out of my life. I don't have "queer as folk" good looks if any and I don't think the gay world would be offering itself to me like they do on all of those coming-out movies. I'm introverted, morally conservative (politically liberal), not sexual at all, and far too contemplative on the nature of things for my own good. I guess at the core of everything is my insecurity. Not to complain,but I have never been hit on before. To my knowledge at least. What are your views of the situation? Your experiences?

#1 san39730, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Zach

Welcome to EC :eusa_clap
    I'm kinda short for time tonight, so I'll just say your not alone. I knew when I was 13 that I was not "normal". It took me years to finally come to terms with who I have always been. You've come to the right place for some help, and I'm sure others will post soon.

3. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You're successful

Even if you're ugly you'll find someone just like you

4. Gaetan

Your situation is mine almost to a T. Only things that are different is that I haven't graduated yet, I'm not going into law, and I've finally decided to start telling people.

I'm not good looking, in my opinion, but I know I'll be able to find someone--and this is coming from the biggest pessimist I know. I'm sure we'll be alike in that as well.

5. biisme

If you decide that this isn't what you want, what are you going to do? Do you believe it's possible for you to change how you feel?

Don't presume that people won't like you. Because, there are several people, I'm sure who are similiar to you, or, even if they aren't, would want to be with you. You just have to find them.

You've never been hit on. Have you ever hit on anybody?

6. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I think you have a preconcived notion on what being gay means.
    It just means you like people of the same gender and not the opposite.
    There is a stereotype that all gay men are femi But like all stereotypes, they hold some truths but are not a good representation of the whole.

7. paco

paco Guest

i dont mean to be offensive, but it sounds like you're a classic closet case. i know saying "no offense" is just words to put before a really offensive statement to make it "ok" but for real, it is ok, because we've all been there so no one here is any better than you.

a lot of these problems you're experiencing very likely stem from your insecurities, and some misguided views. the only way i can think to get at this is chronologically.

firstly, you say you knew you were different from a very young age, it sounds like you let that define you a little. sure we (gays) are all different, but its actually not a big difference. i like men, most of my guy friends like girls, but my straight guy friends and i also like surfing, some of them like singing, we like parties, and we like joking around about all sorts of shit. being gay is only a big difference if you let it be.

second, you havent told anyone, well that's ok, telling people happens when you're ready and when you find someone you trust. i hope you can find a friend that you can trust, because for years i didnt have any close friends because i wouldnt let them in close enough for them to think i was worth having as a friend.

now, you say you're not good looking enough to be welcomed into the gay community. gays being good looking is a big stereotype. it really is. gays have the same odds of being good looking as anyone else. also, we have all gone through some pretty big challenges, you'll find that there are a lot of gay men that are not even very concerned with looks because they have had to deal with deeper feelings and it has reflected in their wants as well as behavior.

and lastly, your insecurity. i believe you are completely correct in thinking that it sits at the core of your troubles. insecurity does make you more introverted, and people can see insecurity from a mile away. the fact that you've never been hit on may actually have nothing to do with your looks. i went from 7th grade to freshman year in college without ever being hit on, and i always thought i was just some weird egg headed guy. but anyway, i was having the worst year of my life last year, and i had to change it, so i built up the courage and finally came out. after finding out no one really cares half as much as i originally thought, i got a huge confidence boost, and now i get a lot of attention. i know that evidence is a little bit anecdotal, but my looks have not changed, and being more confident allowed me to explore my own individuality, and style, and i think that's more what people are drawn to. and apart from all of that, a lot of attraction is based on attraction, you don't like girls (i assume) and they can sense that through your actions even if they can't put a finger on it, and you try as hard as you can not to show that you're interested in guys, so there's no way they're going to put themselves out on a limb for something that's impossible.

sorry that was such a long grill. i don't mean to make you feel bad at all. i just hope something i've said hits you the right way. trust me, every gay, lesbian, bi, transsexual or whatever has been right where you are. you're not as alone as you may think, and i hope this forum helps you the way it helped me.

#7 paco, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  8. RaeofLite

I would like to give you my assessment of the situation, but honestly I'm exhausted from school and volunteering today. So I'll give you a shorter blurb. :slight_smile:

First, welcome! :grin:

You're not the only insecure one (gay, bi, trans, queer, les, straight whatever, people are insecure). Ok... As for people not approaching you or hitting on you, believe it or not, but people pick up on vibes. Meaning, if you feel shitty, and project "Oh I'm shitty, that guy was a mean dumb ***, my dog died, I feel miserable" people will pick up on it, even if you don't talk to them. It's all in how you present yourself (body posture, facial expression, ability to talk etc).

Trust me, I used to be SUPER shy and socially anxious before going to university four years ago. If I went back in the past to that version of me, I wouldn't recognize myself. Except for the sarcasm. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You need to change how you project yourself. You need to talk to someone, maybe a campus counsellor? (They are free I believe) just to get some of the stuff you have in your head off your chest. You will feel better. You don't need to necessarily talk about your sexuality (though most counsellors I've heard of are trained to deal with that too), but just talk about stuff that bothers you and how you'd like to be a better person.

And down the road (if you are truely gay as you say you are) you come out of the closet you will feel SUCH a relief. It's the 21st century for goodness sakes! It's so 20th century to make a big fuss over coming out. *wink*

9. Possibly Maybe

There isn't a 'right' or wrong way to be gay or whatever. People come in all sizes, colours, sexual orientations. You can be a dead butch, stright man and cry like a baby watching some chick-flick, for instance. I always say diversity is the spice of life :wink:

You don't have to live up to the stereotypes, you are you. You need to figure out how you want to be happy.

Oh, and welcome to EC!

#9 Possibly Maybe, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all: welcome to EC!

First thought I have is that your situation is a lot like the one I was in almost 2 years ago. I’ve always known that I was gay and yet, I never told anyone before I was 24. I’m pretty introverted, have a tendency to overthink everything, and while I might make an occasional joke about sex, I can’t say I’m really that sexual.

All I can really say is that, coming from a similar situation, I think that accepting my sexuality and coming out with it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Even though I only told my closest friends and closest family, making very sure to only tell the people that would accept (or at least be tolerant) at first, the feeling of not lying anymore was really a big relief. Only when you stopped lying do you really notice how much energy you spend on hiding your sexuality, even if it only feels like a minor exertion while you’re doing it.
    In fact, I’m beginning to become aware that I might very well have been hit on in the past, but just kept my defenses up so tight that I just didn’t allow myself to notice.

I also did just push my boundaries a little and take one or two tentative steps into the “gay world”. And all I can say is that at least where I live, the stereotypes don’t hold. While there are stereotypical gayboys around, a lot (I dare even say the majority) are perfectly ordinary-looking. Most are people I wouldn’t have ever thought were gay if I saw them walking down the street.
    Even in this thread, there are a few people who are similar in outlook and situation already, so I’m sure that if you would start looking for yourself, and not relying on stereotypes, you will find what you’re looking for, and someone else will find in you what he’s looking for.

In the end, accepting I was gay and coming out to people didn’t change my life all that much. I still do the same things. I’m just happier and more at ease while doing them!

Is being gay what you want out of life? Maybe it’s not your dream scenario. I’m less and less bothered by being gay, but I still can’t say it is my dream scenario either. However, in life you have to play with the cards you are dealt. You’re not going to turn straight miraculously. And as many people on this forum can testify, deciding to pretend you’re straight and marry a woman and have kids is like setting off a time bomb that sooner or later will explode in your face.

11. KaraBulut

There's really two issues here- 1-your coming out process and 2- your feelings of social awkwardness and insecurity.

And yes, the two are connected. But probably 2 is more of a problem than 1.

You can't hope to win a race unless you are willing to put on the shoes and run.

So, let's start with the social aspects of your life-
    Do you have a close group of friends that you can talk openly with?
    Why do you feel insecure about yourself- is it shyness or do feel like you are not attractive?

#11 KaraBulut, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  12. 19rockr

19rockr Guest

Near Lexington, KY, by 45 miles to the east.
    I also knew I was different since I was a kid...it was in the 7th grade when I figured out what I was, and it wasn't until after I left my high school for another school[a replacement school] did I come out.

13. s5m1

First, welcome to EC. This is a great place to work through these issues. I agree with the advice above and won’t repeat it. Please know that you are not alone in this. Many of us have felt the same things you are expressing. Posting on EC and asking for advice helped me greatly. Seeing a therapist also helped me greatly, and you may want to consider it. Most universities have counseling centers right on campus.

14. Dare2bProud

Its all about confidence. I never thought I was extremely "cute" or Queer Eye for the Straight Guy type, but, confidence is key. Going out there having a smile on your face, not caring what others think, going up to random people at a bar and talking to them. Its taken me a bit to get there, I'm still working on it. I'm stretching myself, bring myself to one extreme to another until I found that happy medium.

I am also morally conservative but politically liberal (btw, I never heard anyone put it that way and i've been waiting for a way to describe myself ... thanks). Its been really difficult being a small town boy coming to the city. Its a process.

15. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

You sound quite a bit like me, especially the parts that I bolded. I was pretty content to never come out, and just be a single person. To be honest, if my boyfriend ever left me, I think I would probably just stay single. The idea of not being in a gay relationship, and not being out to the whole world is fine with me (plus if my boyfriend ever left, I don't think I would ever be able to love someone like I love him).

To be honest, I haven't changed that much. The only thing that has changed with me is that I met a wonderful guy, and we have been together for two years.

I guess what I would say is that you might be surprised at what can happen. You should do whatever makes you happy. If you can go to bed at night, and be at peace with your life, that is what is most important. However, I would say to be open...you'd be surprised what life could hold for you. Also, work on your confidence, no matter what you do. I am sure that you're a great person, and you should realize there are probably MANY people (gay men, or straight women) who would love having you in your life.

#15 Kevin42, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2009
  16. RaeofLite

:eusa_clap

I think that's with both male or females. I couldn't take the dreams of walking down the isle up to a male fiance at the alter. It was like runaway bride in my head several nights. (But because I was gay not because i was scared of committment. :lol:slight_smile:

But really, you have so much support here. :kiss: (&&&) (!) :eusa_danc

17. san39730

san39730 Guest

First I would like to thank everyone for their post and I would like to hear more from you. Second, I think I inadequately portrayed myself. I have insecurity but I'm not an insecure person. I revel in my analytical above average intelligence (I say that with humility). I’m the type of person people come to with their problems but I just don’t tell them mine. I’m always the parent in whatever group or relationship I’m in and I am honored by that. I maybe introverted, but I’m not a recluse. Introverted doesn’t necessarily mean insecure, hermit, psychopath. An introverted nature also includes a deep introspective mind, objectivity, observation, which I want and am proud to have. I don’t want to be and extrovert. Seventy percent of the world is extroverted and I enjoy being part of a minority. I’m a person of such analytical temperament that I almost always land in the middle, grey area of any argument and can see both sides of any debate.

My situation isn’t about confidence, I have plenty of that, and it isn’t about me finding myself because I have actively spent the better part of the last ten years doing that very thing. I guess at the core of the conflict is family, my family. Friends are easy, they will love you and if they don’t, you can go your separate ways, more or less. Yet, family, you don’t choose family and cutting off a connection with family is neigh impossible. No matter what happens, no matter what feelings you have about each other; there is always a connection, good or bad. If they are a good family who has been nothing but positive in your life then losing or changing that connection could have nothing but detrimental effects on your life. They will love me still if I came out (some of them anyway)but from that day on there will be a huge elephant in the room, pink and purple with polka dots and a neon sign pointing directly at me.

My family are basically good people, but narrow-mined, they mean no harm they just don’t have the life experience to understand how a person could want the same sex by nature instead of by choice, they think it is a choice. I have no doubt that I will come out to them but at this point in my life its about gaining the strength to do it and preparing myself for the inevitable, Chernobyl-like fall-out that is bound to happen. This is about information and gaining wisdom from other people’s experiences. It’s hard to gain wisdom from people who came out and received nothing but love and acceptance.

What about the rest of you?

18. fallendream

at risk of being called a nerd i must mention the 'YANA' effect.
    while you can be ugly, smell and have a awfull personality there will always be someone closer than you think similar and a good match for you.

19. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, this moves the goalposts a little. If you start off by saying that you think your insecurity is at the core of everything, it's only natural that people mainly reply to that...

Anyway, some of my thoughts and experiences on coming out to family:

First of all, I don't think that I entirely agree that altering anything in the connection is always a bad thing. Sure, there is a risk of losing people. On the other hand, there's also the chance of growing closer to people.

And secondly, stories of love and acceptance might seem less useful, but I do think the reason there's so many of them around is precisely because love and acceptance might just be slightly easier to come by than you think. Sometimes we do give our loved ones too little credit. A lot of the time, the whole anxiety before the coming out turns out to be bracing for a crash that never happens after all.

That said, I do agree it's easier said than done. I'm from a very close family, and that did give me pause. I like to come out at my own pace, and not to all at once. Which is hard to do if people usually tell each other everything.
    So far, I'm out to two family members, with two different results.

First one I'm out to is my brother. He was the first family member I told (though I did tell friends beforehand), and since we're very close, also the easiest one. Even so, I was still pretty nervous. But he turned out to be more accepting than I would have ever hoped. As it turned out, he did already suspected me of being gay. Even though he had his suspicions, at first there was a little awkwardness. In the end, however, it was nothing but a positive experience. I'm closer now to him than I was before. We talk more freely now than before, and not having anything to hide makes me feel way more comfortable.

Second one I'm out to is my mom. It was very stressful coming out to her, but after coming out to my brother, I felt I really had to. I didn't want to burden my brother with keeping secrets for me, and somehow it just felt like it was time to do so, and give her time to adjust to the thought.
    Her reaction was pretty shocked. She told me she accepted me and it didn't mean anything had changed between us. She asked a few standard questions (how long I had known, who else I told, if I had a boyfriend already). And then changed the topic.
    That was almost half a year ago, and it is basically the last time the topic ever came up between us. Whenever it threatens to come up, she changes the topic. Whenever she sees me talking to a guy that might look somewhat gay, she'll make a snipe at him afterwards.
    But in the end, I am still glad I told her. Yes, it has become the big elephant in the room that neither of us talk about, but at least now she's aware of the elephant and she can start to deal with it on her own schedule (it took me ten years to cope, so I guess I can give her some time too). And apart from when the "gay thing" comes up, nothing really changed after all.

The rest of my family is still a work in progress. I do know that I can tell uncles and aunts each apart, but grandparents I will have to tell all at the same time. It will give some fallout, but in the end, I don't think it will be Chernobyl-like either. It will change how they look at me, but in the end, not keeping secrets, not having to keep explaining why I don't have a girlfriend yet, not being expected to keep on lying will make me feel better and more at ease. Even though I know some of them will think it's all a whacky choice I made because I can't find a girlfriend :slight_smile:rolleyes:slight_smile:, it will give me the opportunity to explain them. And it will give them some time to come to terms with it.

Wow, long post, but I hope it helped a bit?

20. guacj

I am also 23 and could really label who I was when I in my early teens. The major difference between us is that I have been in a hetero relationship for a number of years now and finally couldnt hide who I was anymore. I quickly came to a point acceptance of who I was, and decided that I had to share the real me with my best friends. My mood, attitude on life, and overall happiness really started to change as soon as I told my best friend. I have told my female partner that I am bi because I didnt want things to move too fast in the coming out process. But for the first time in a very long time I can say that I am happy with who I am. I know that in the very near future I will speed things up a little bit.

The best advice that I could offer you is to try and accept who you are. This is not what defines you, but is a part of you.

For years I was able to "think" that I was gay, but when I finally looked at myself in the mirror and said "I'm gay" I felt a huge burden lift off of me. Its hard to understand how much weight we carry around when we hide who we are until we let it go.

Good Luck to you!