1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Etiquette Question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LivingInLyric, Nov 14, 2009.

1. LivingInLyric

Okay. So, I asked someone to junior prom. I wanted to get your opinions on an issue that's come up. If a girl asks a boy to a dance, does she pay for the tickets or do they both typically pay their own way? How does that work? The tickets are $40 each...it would be difficult for me to pay for us both.

Thaaanks in advance :slight_smile:

mandee.

2. fallendream

assuming your 16 which i *think* is prom age you cant be expected to pay $80.00

therefore you should go dutch and its probably expected for you two to just dance and the girl to get the boy (if the girl asked him) various refreshments - ie; some pop or crisps or something whilst there.

but what do i know? i could be wrong.

3. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

i would say make him pay for his own damn ticket. i wouldnt expect a date to pick up the tab on that ESPECIALLY if its that high. well maybe i would. but if she/he didn't have a job, i would pay my share. its not fair for you to pay the entire thing just because you asked

4. Just Adam

in my day the man paid for the lady lol...but in this modern age of equality ...i say....im not getting involved :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

lucky if your going with a guy you just pay for each other lol.

two ladys go i say you rush the door and crash it haha

5. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    the way it worked at my school is that at winter formal, girls would ask the guys out and be in charge of paying for the night. Then at spring prom, guys would ask the girls and then guys would be in charge of all the expenses.

6. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

you pay your own way. he pays his own way. i never expect any of my female friends to pay for me ever. in fact not even male friends would i allow that. guess thats just how i am. i dont mind splitting costs tho if im out on the pull. we usually take turns in getting a round in.

7. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

At my school it's mostly just pay your own way, especially if you're only going to the prom together not really dating, if the couple have been together for a while then one might pay it all but otherwise not usually.

8. biisme

When I asked a guy to the Junior Prom he offered to pay for both (even though he was a Senior, and it wasn't even his prom), but I payed my own and we went Dutch. I also asked a Junior for my Senior prom, and again we went Dutch.

9. NJCentralGary

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry, but you asked him to the prom...you should pay. Am I wrong? Why is there a double standard here? I think it's great and brave of you to ask, but I think you should offer to pay (and be prepared to do it). On the other hand, if he was a MAN he would insist that he pay for both (or you go dutch). Just my 2 cents. :slight_smile:

10. Goethe

well at my high school, tickets to formal dances are usually $80 but if a couple goes it's $150 so me and my date usually split it up so we both pay $75 each. you don't have to pay for both of you two.

11. Ben

Ben

This maybe totally European of me but the woman paying everything sounds like a really odd tradition.
    I would have thought that the guy would either pay for all of it or go halves with the girl. But then we don't get prom here so I have no idea.

12. Étoile

Do whatever you guys want and can afford. If you want to pay for his ticket, do it. Suggest he pay for yours, fine. Go half on it, sure.

13. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

When I was in highschool, a girl asked me but I still paid for her prom ticket. I have always been under the impression that guys should pay for girls, so I can't imagine a guy would expect you to pay for his. However, if you haven't been dating, I would say that it is probably best for you to each pay for your own.

14. I don't think it's a gender double standard here, I think it's the price. I asked a boy to homecoming this year as friends, and I paid for his dinner (with my mom's money) and for his ticket (with my own money). But our tickets were $7 each. To expect you to pay $80 is way too much. If someone paid that much for me, I would probably be uncomfortable, actually.

I don't know, maybe homecoming and prom have different etiquettes, but $80 just seems like a lot.

15. LivingInLyric

Well, I do have a job and I can pay $80. It's just that I am saving up for car insurance, senior dues for next year, the yearbook, a class ring, and college. Not to mention that I have to pay for a dress and getting my hair done. Overall, I think it would be much better if we go Dutch. Of course, I will offer to pay for both, that's just me. I sound like a horrible person, but I hope he agrees for us to each pay for our own. :badgrin: