1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to extended family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SpinachWrap, Nov 14, 2009.

1. SpinachWrap

So I've been out to most people for about 8 months now. However, most of my extended family doesn't know. I really only see them at Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, so it hasn't really been an issue yet. But Thanksgiving is drawing near. I know that some of my family is very religious and won't really be cool with it. But then there are others that will probably be okay with it. I don't want to have to lie, but I also don't want to create a family crisis.

Complicating the issue is the fact that I'm not completely gay. Or at least I haven't always been. I believe that sexuality can change over your lifetime, because I experienced that in my own life. However, changing sexuality is a concept that can easily be misconstrued into the "just a phase" myth.

It's possible that it won't come up, but since I'm pretty much an adult now, it's not out of the question that someone will ask if I have a girlfriend or some such. I would like to avoid lies of omission if at all possible. I don't have a boyfriend, though I'd like one.

Coming out was really easy for me. I knew my friends and immediate family would all be cool with it. I don't know how to come out to people that might be less supportive, or even if I should.

What do you all think? Should I announce my sexuality? If so, how? Do I not mention it unless it comes up? Should I avoid the issue? Lie, if pressed? Being out has been great, and now I'm scared that it's about to become less fun.

2. RaeofLite

Just be yourself. If it comes up (ie: someone asks, "do you have a girlfriend") be honest. You're out of the closet. Just say, "No, I don't." That's not lying is it? So many people don't understand the concept of liking both genders or sexual fluidity so if you said "bi" they might say "Attention grabber!". >.<

So just be honest, but don't dwelve on the subject unless you think one relative or two in particular would be trustworthy enough to disclose the info. Especially if the people are truely religious and likely close minded.

Then again, maybe some people's views do need to change. If you want you could talk to your parents about how you think relatives would react if you were totally open with it. (Not standing up on the table saying: THankyou for everything God. I'm Queer! Let's eat the Grub now!) But simply saying: "no I don't have a gf, but I don't have a bf either. Though I would like one." ....Maybe ask the parents about that. The holidays are tricky. ><

That's what I would do either. I wasn't open about it, even though I was out of the closet at a cousin's wedding. Only after did my mom tell my aunt and uncle about me so as to not "steal the day" basically.