1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Job is Ruling my Life!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Dare2bProud

Why is it when things are finally turning around for me I have a job that somehow stands in the way of the changes of my life?

When I first moved here I got in contact with my old manager from a music venue I use to work for in the summer to work part time at the indoor theatre she manages all year around. She hired me part time with no problem, than I started working at the hotel. They agree to work around my schedule with the theatre. I also volunteer at several community theatre and they said they would work around those schedules too. As it seems it go difficult to balance. There were times I would have to call of at the theatre because the hotel (which is full time) wanted to keep me over or needed me to work the evening. Being that the hotel is my full time job, I kind of have to obey. The manager at the theatre got upset with me that I kept having to call off or take me off shows I was originally scheduled for, so I ended up telling her I didn't think this was working out and to not ruin my reputation with her anymore I resigned. The hotel has also put a hindrance on the volunteering I do with theatre. I just can't be a "free" spirit working in a 24 hours environment.

The current problem is this ... I got into contact with my old manager at the theatre to see if she can hook me up with free tickets to see Chicago: The Musical live on stage .. I have never seen it. She was able to get them for them but wasn't able to let me know until Tuesday. I asked my GM if I could just come in to work a mid-shift that day instead of a first or second because my old manager from the theatre was kind enough to do this for me. My GM went ahead and scheduled me for the evening anyway. Now if I am having to find someone to switch shifts for me. If that doesn't work I just might call off. #1 I don't work for the lady at the theatre anymore, the tickets she gets she gives to her employees. I had already damaged myself once when working with her because of the hotel, I don't think its fair to completely damage myself with her and tell her that I can't use the tickets after all when she didn't have to do this for me in the first place! If I do that than she'll never want to get me tickets for anything again.

Second I started volunteering at my church, since I typically have had Sundays off for the last several months I got comfortable with their evening service and now I am going to be ahead of their theatre ministry. I tell her this and guess what I am now scheduled this Sunday night!

I'm tired of it. I'm tired of having this job rule me! When she asks me to come in early, i come in. Whenever she's on the chopping block with corporate, I stick up for her. I'm just done with it. I know its the nature of the beast and I bet deep down she really doesn't care about me in the first place. I like to think she does, especially when we have very personal conversations at times. I just can't handle this job hindering my growth in this city. Its already hurt it as it is. I need a standard job with clear cut shifts, I need to know the shifts I'm working each week and stay that way. Is that too much to ask for??? I'm just pissed! :icon_sad:

2. guacj

I guess its time to start looking for another job, and maybe if you find something with a more stable schedule then maybe you could go back to work for the theater. Also if you need the time of on Sundays for work then I think they have to let you off for religious observance. You also do have the option to say no when asked to stay over.

3. Dare2bProud

No. I don't have an option. Last week I was running a fever ... talking to my buddies at other jobs and other hotels that you aren't allowed in if you have a fever ... she made me come in for three hours to help her finish a project and for small coverage during the busy times. I felt horrible, looked horrible, shouldn't have been around anyone. She asks me to come in early sometimes and if I tell her I can't, than she doesn't talk to me when I come in and acts all upset and staying over .. just happens .. people not showing up on time ... people calling in ... like i'm there and forced to still be there ... maybe i'm just a tool and too loyal for my own good?

4. guacj

Have you looked for another job? I think that would be the best option. Your manager sounds like she is not a very good one at all.

5. Astaroth

Having already worked in hotels for seven years before my current job, I can honestly say I know exactly what you're going through. It's a thankless job both from the staff and the guests. Everyone has their breaking point at a hotel, and it sounds like you've reached yours. Unless you can find a niche where you're self-sufficient and have steady hours (such as a Night Auditor's position or one of the executive managers like marketing or catering), you will burn out. It's a statistical guarantee. In the five years I worked at my last hotel, I went through four regimes of my Front Desk manager and three regimes of the GM (we got bought out halfway through). During that time, I saw so many faces come and go it's ridiculous. By the time I had burned out, there were only two other people left from when I had hired on five years ago within my department.

Do yourself a favor and start finding another job in another field. Moving to another hotel isn't going to solve any of the problems you're facing here. Hotels are great for students and part-timers, but only until you become a reliable asset. Then they get out the whips and chains and schedules. By not saying no the first few times, you set a precedent that you're willing to sacrifice your time for the company. That's why you're getting walked all over. It's also standard practice for most customer-intensive jobs such as hospitality. They take advantage of a warm body that's willing to come in because they're few and far between.

Once you find something to fill the void, drop to part time to see if the new job pans out. If it does, quit the hotel. If it doesn't, you can suffer a bit more while you try for another new job.

Good luck! I'll look for you in the next Ex-Hotel Anonymous meeting. :lol:

6. Jim1454

It sounds like you need to start setting boundries with your boss. If you're not making unreasonable demands, she should be able to accomodate them. If you're giving her warning and letting her know that you're not available and she schedules you anyway, then tell her again that you're not available and she needs to find someone else for that shift - period. Don't show up. Start copying her boss if that's necessary. Because it sounds like she's being a little imature.

You are entitled to a life outside of work.

7. Dare2bProud

Well I've been sick the last few weeks .... like I said my GM hasn't taken sympathy to that. Between being sick and depressed, I just called in today. I'm actually feeling better, but I think its a well-being and sanity thing right now. I have millions of hours of sick pay because I never use it and still two personal days but she won't let me use them. I'm feeling ok that I probably could go into my shift, but I think I'm going to stand behind me taking a sick day today. Is this bad??

8. Jim1454

I don't understand. She won't let you be sick?!? If you don't go in she won't pay you using those banked sick hours? If that's the case, I think you have some kind of issue you need to escalate to her manager.

Is this a larger chain? I would have thought that the HR policies would be tolerable...

9. Dare2bProud

Yeah, ever since my scheduled time today, they've called me or txt me to see where I was. I called in at 7am .. telling her I wasn't feeling well .. she said I told her I wasn't feeling well not that I wouldn't be coming to work. I give up. I'm going to minute clinic .. getting a doctors note .. getting some pills and being done with it.

10. Dare2bProud

Got that doctor's note, doctor said I can't return to work until Saturday. haha. How about that one?! My GM took big offense to when I told her that I would've spoken to her personally but if I did she would have made me come in anyway. Its true though.

11. Jim1454

Well... that seems silly. But I guess they aren't wrong. If the people you work for are THAT stupid, then you're going to have to dumb it down for them. You'll have to call in and tell them that you will not be in today because you are sick.

On other occassions, where you'd like to schedule time off to go to a concert or something, not only do you need to tell them in advance but I'd also put it in writing. Send your boss an email stating again that you are not available to work on a given day. That way when you don't show up, and they challenge you on it, you've got proof that they knew and should have scheduled someone else for that shift.

12. rachel44ggg

Do not let your job rule your life.If you are facing any problem or feeling bored with it then it's really a great time to change you career.

13. Dare2bProud

BTW, Astaroth, what are you doing now?

14. Astaroth

I am doing Accounts Payable and scheduling for a different company now that sells pipe products. It's such a low-stress job that I don't dread going to work anymore, which I started to do at the hotel.