1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Revan, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm starting to give up on the dating potential in my city. Frankly the problem I'm having is that I'm winding up the "other woman". I've gotten together with one or two guys in this city, and then they tell me after we "have fun" they have a boyfriend. I know hooking up isn't that great, and I feel bad about it, but just the fact two times this has happened I'm just pissed as all hell now at both them and myself. I know it's not my fault that I didn't know they had a boyfriend, but none the less...I still consider myself the "other woman" >_< Should I just give up on this whole dating thing or just hope someone pops up who isn't a total whore and would cheat on me.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I wouldn't give up. Sometimes it can take a while before you find someone who isn't just in it for a one night stand. Just looking at your location info, the UWO might have a LGBT group on campus, where you might find someone who might be a bit more interested in more than a one night stand. I would imagine though, and given the size of London ON, that there are also other groups or activities catered towards the LGBT community in the city. Have you tried checking out some of the websites containing info on the LGBT community in London?

Try to keep getting out there and meeting new people. You will find someone who might be interested in serious dating.

Hope this helps!

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Been to PrideWestern, that was a bust. But I do have a date today he seems genuine, I just was saying is all about many...

4. RaeofLite

...maybe don't make a point of hooking up or getting intimate till you know more details? Go on dates and hang out yes, but until you know his dating situation and can learn to trust him, don't go there.

5. Ralivar

Never give up otherwise you might miss some of the best experiences of your life.

As you said there is no way that you could know that they have a boyfriend, they are the ones who are being dishonest so you shouldn't feel like the other person.

6. SolitaryKnight

I lived in London, ON a couple years ago. I was never on the lookout for any type of LGBT community though. I wish I could give a suggestion of where to go to find some other homos to hang with. UWO must have some groups that help LGBT community.

7. xequar

You live in London, Ontario, which is not exactly the most happening locale in Canada, let alone the rest of the Universe (no offense). But surely there's something going on there? Isn't there a University there?

If all else fails, you could always expand your horizons. TO and Detroit are both only a couple hours away, which means a bit of a drive, but still a very manageable distance (hell, my BF and I live 4.5 hours apart and we see each other every weekend).

Beyond that, don't give up, but don't get too worked up over it either. Sometimes the Universe moves slowly.

8. Jim1454

It isn't?

How long did you know both of them? Did you spend time together? Movies, coffee, dinners, concerts, day trips...? Because if you had, or had tried, I'm guessing that it would have been pretty obvious that they had a boyfriend - because they wouldn't be available to do those things. They were only making themselves available for the half hour 'quickie' that they were getting from you.

Perhaps I'm wrong - but I'm guessing that they didn't likely try to hide this from you. It doesn't sound like you even asked.

Don't give up on the dating potential. You're not even dating. You ARE hooking up. The two are VERY VERY different. (Although one can get the impression from certain gay web sites that they are synonamous. They aren't.)

Do the things I listed above with the people you meet. THEN go to bed with them, once you've decided that they are someone you'd like to spend more time with.