1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you prepare to move away for University?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Nov 22, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

ive come to a realization that I really want to get out of Quebec, at least for university.

I've also come to the conclusion that I want to be in or near a big city, one that has a decent music scene and a decent lgbt community.

I want to go to York University, more specifically the Glendon campus in Toronto.

I did my research, and I came to find for what I want to go into its approx. 15k per year.

If I go at all, It wont be for a year and a half-2 years. But still im a wee bit stressed. Res or off-campus apartment? How do I save money? How do I do ANYTHING on my own?

Not to mention the last time I was in toronto I was like...6. Needless to say I need to go back and see the campus to decide if I;d actually enjoy being there for however long I'm there.

I don't even know where to start, and I don't want to stress myself out about this. Help?

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ha ha applying to colleges can be VERY stressful. I dont know how it works in canada (probably the same as the US) but here in massachusetts atleast it's cheaper to live in an off-campus apartment than on-campus. The only problem is, it's a lot harder to meet people, but that doesnt mean you cant do on campus the first year and then move off campus the next! You might find that you'll need a job at school for spending money if you're worrying about paying for all of school and living expenses. Doing things on your own is really not that hard, you'll probably find that you've been doing a lot of things on your own your whole life! There's really nothing to stress about, it's a different experience but usually not a very hard one!

3. RaeofLite

Ok, first you have to know where you want to go? Hobbies, interests, what do you like doing or are interested in and might persue something in that area? That will first off determine where you'll go. Be it art school, acting schools, business schools, science etc.

Then, take a lot at your budget. Yes your personal budget. How much you make, earn, how much your parents earn (incase you need to apply for student loans--they'll ask you this).

Then you can apply to the places you want (it's better to apply to at least two places), send an application fee in (check their websites), transcripts from highschool to them.

Once you've gotten replies (and I'm assuming acceptance letter(s)), you can apply for student loans. Take a look in newspapers, online, google housing in that city. And get in touch with any prospective offers. If you're applying for dorms, ask the administration of the uni/college and they should transfer you to the housing desk.

You may need to work an extra job before saving and going to uni. It might be tight for $. You could also try applying for RA (residence advisor). That would guarantee you have housing, and give you perks around residence/dorms.

If you get accepted and all of the above, you'll get letters/emails from the school you applied to telling you when to register and to come by for an orientation with new prospective students to look at the campus.

*thinks*

...I can't think of anything else for now. If you need any other advice just give me a shout. I've been through most of what you're going through. :slight_smile:

4. paco

paco Guest

definitely start by going to look at the campus for yourself. it really gives you a feeling of whether you want to go or not. for me it was hawaii, i really wanted to go, but i toured the campus and i knew it wasn't what i was looking for

as for housing, check how much on campus housing costs (i personally recommend living on campus for the first year if you want to get to know people) but if the decision is based on money, just see how much nearby apartments have and what kind of transportation you'll be using, like public transportation or your own car. and if you really want to get serious, go look at the neighborhood around the campus just to get a feel for the city.

as for saving money, i'm not entirely sure, most people i know here have student loans or scholarships (try to find some of those if you can) to help cover tuition etc :\

as for living on your own, talk to your parents, they've moved out of their parents houses before, but basic essentials like knowing how to do laundry, and cooking are good skills to have.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me be glib and say "You'll do it the same way everyone does it - by doing it."

Many of us have gone through this. And it means cutting corners. Learning to budget. Making your current wardrobe work for the foreseeable future. Making the internet and library books your sources of entertainment. Subsisting on ramen and popcorn when you have to. No, it's not ideal. But the whole fact that you're doing it is, frankly, quite nice. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Jim1454

Yes - I think you just have to do it. There's no way to explain to someone how to live on their own. You do what you can manage to do. Eat Kraft dinner every day if that's what it takes (either due to your cooking ability, your budget, or both).

I went to York - but the main campus. I'm not as familiar with the Glendon campus, but I know it's in a very nice part of the city. Unfortunately, that makes surrounding housing likely more expensive than it would be near to the main campus.

But the public transit system isn't too bad (although I don't use it myself) and for university locations like that there are often express busses that run from the nearest subway station. So that means you could live almost anywhere and still have a decent commute to the school.

I lived at home to go to university. But I know many people recommend living in residence your first year in order to meet people and then you move out with one or two of those peopel into a shared house or apartment for the subsequent years.

Feel free to PM me with other questions. Good luck.