1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feeling of distance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tylerzane69, Nov 23, 2009.

1. tylerzane69

so i feel totally distanced from most everybody in my life, i moved away for college and i dont know anyone in the town i moved to other than my roomates and they are str8 guys who like sports and women... and that is totally not me, they are nice and all but we dont hang out, my boyfriend lives and hours away and i see him 2 or 3 times a week, and it seems like our communication has gotten worse, all of my friends seem to be a bit distant from me too, anytime i try to hang out or call them or text them they are always to busy and i hardly ever get to hear from them, one of them in particular was my best friend before i moved away and now i can only get ahold of her like once a month. i feel like everyone in my life is trying to put distance between themselves and i. what do i do?
    i dont think i have felt this lonely in a long time

2. Jim1454

Well, I'll say what's been said before.

What about the LGBT group at your college? That would be a great place to meet people. There's no need to feel lonely.

With respect to meeting up with your friends, you likely need to start planning things in advance. People's lives get more and more complicated as they get older. They aren't just sitting around waiting for someone to text them any more. They've made plans. The same goes for your best friend. Make a date - even if it's to talk on the phone.

The other thing to consider is that your friends that you had in high school aren't necessarily going to be the friends you keep for life - even if you all committed to each other that you would. People change, and they take very different paths. You were all friends in high school because you attended the same high school. But now that your population of potential friends is so much larger, it's quite likeyl that you'll find more suitable friends now based on where you live, what you do for a living, what your major is at school, etc.

My best friends today are the ones I met in business school. I never speak to the friends I had in high school.