1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speech Class

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Nov 23, 2009.

1. I have to give a persuasive/argumentative speech in my communications class. My teacher told us that our speech should be something we care greatly about, so of course a million ideas popped into my head all about homosexuality, however I don't know if I should do one about lgbt topics (something I am passionate about) or one about something else. The class is full of freshman and Sophmores, and while most, if not all, are conservative christians. Most of the class is really mature, and the rest are incredibly immature. So I don't know what to do, I don't want them to think less of me because of something stupid like this, but I would like to finally give a speech on something I care about.

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Write your speech on whatever you want. If you're passionate about it, it's going to come out a lot better than doing something just because everyone else likes it. The more controversial you are, the better your paper will seem most likely. I don't think people will think any less of you for doing an assignment. Plus, what do you care what those conservative Christians and immature people think? Sure you go to school with them but at the end of the day, they'll probably just forget about it anyways.

3. Just Adam

haha i would be such an ass and do why religion is wrong on homosexuality jsut to get all teh little religious kids jumping up and down on their seats like cave men ...on tehat note

CAPTAIN CAVE MAN! hehe <3

4. Yeah, I already did a speech on the flying spaghetti monster and it's story of how it came to be, they thought I had made the entire thing up and skipped over the fact that it is a parody of their own ridiculos beliefs.

Also, If I pick the homosexual topic, I am probobly going to it on the need to make hate speech illegal.

5. Just Adam

id prob go with how hate crime law doesent help us just adds more layers of isolation for society giving extra punishment to a crime based on sexuality when the fact you were attacked deserves punishment enough.

but thats very long and pretty heavy lol

6. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Do what you're passionate about...it will be better and you will enjoy working on it. There's no reason for you to do something you don't care about.

7. Just Adam

very true... put your heart into all you do :slight_smile:

8. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

I did a speech on homosexuality at it went great although that was probably becasue everyone was too scared to ask me to my face if I was gay just in case they insulted me :grin: but I say go for anything your passionate about otherwise you won't enjoy it either.

9. Emberstone

hopefully, the mature ones might have a opertunity to see homosexuality from a human perspective, and not from the perspective of someone a dead guy wrote mellinia that the faith's messiah even said was not from god.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    write something you care about AND are comfortable talking about in front of others. Remeber you probably need to defend your argument, so your freaking out about writting about homosexuality then maybe something else would be better.

11. Idunnohereitis

For the most part you willl be given a difficult time by a few ppl who know and just dont like you cuz of who you are. there is ignorance everywhere. the part about communicating isnt just about agreeing or speaking its about getting your ideas accross and into other ppls lives. DO IT! :grin: The only way for ppl to know more about it is if somebody tells them, and sounds like you migh tbe the person to explain the reality of the struggles and complications some LGTB face on a average basis due to whatever. Ppl need to know more about it. Ppl dont like, avoid, fear and dismiss things that dont make sense to them.

:] go for it

12. Emberstone

Just remeber, no matter what the out come if you do choose to use the class to give a speech on a topic relating to homosexuality, just know we are here to support you and cheer for you regardless of the out come.

13. Thanks everyone, I'm still a little undecided, I am thinking of giving it on the need to have stricter anti-bullying laws, that way it is something I care about, but I can also touch on some gay issues.

14. Definitely don't choose it if you're not comfortable, but it could be a good way to maybe even change a few on-the-fence people's opinions if you're persuasive. And the controversial speeches, at least at my school, are the ones that get remembered and are looked upon as the best ones. Three years ago a girl gave a great speech on why God didn't exist, and it's still talked about in the middle school. It will definitely show confidence and strong convictions in the belief if you're willing to talk about it in front of a class.