1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it about relationships?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silvermark, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Silvermark

I'm not sure whether this is just me or most people; but why do I (We?) almost literally -need- to be in a relationship?
    I've been depressed lately, and the only thing I've wanted is someone I can just hold and share myself with them, and yet there is no-one around who is even like that to me. And despite this, I still hold on to the vain hope that I'll find love or something.

It's not even an achievable thing for me at the moment, and yet I still crave it. The lack of someone I can be intimate with is just killing me.
    Perhaps its just the depression talking...

2. -Michael-

Yeah i don't understand why people think they NEED a relationship

as if its THAT great and magical that it'll sort out all your problems and he'll be the most perfect boy in the world.

No-one NEEDS to be in a relationship.
    They just think that's the only thing they have trouble with finding because of their sexuality.

It's silly.

You don't NEED a relationship.
    you just want one

3. Silvermark

Yeah, I know that people don't physically need a relationship, but its the lack of one which is making me feel... Unloved?
    I'm not sure any more.

College is getting me down. Life is getting me down.
    Perhaps if I had something to cheer me up every day then it'd all be a little more bearable. That, or its just the whole romantic-depression crap. Me being both depressed at the moment and a romantic at heart. xD

4. Just Adam

i just want someone to love em and to be with me...it jsut feels right i want to go to sleep with someone wake up with someone and jsut do all teh relationship crap and love stuff.

5. mydogstewie

I agree. I'd rather have friends than a temporary relationship

6. Silvermark

Exactly this. I want someone who I can do things with, to see every day and know that they love me and I love them. Anyone.
    And yet I'm such a neurotic and socially retarded person... Gah...

7. Just Adam

this too lol

im useless and repulsive with humans...annoying.

8. Silvermark

Everyone is so damn afraid of each other.
    Immigrants, gays, blacks, muslims... We're all human! And yet people insist on de-humanizing everyone. If only everyone could just be truthful and acceptive.

9. Just Adam

haha i wish i could be accepted so far in 21 years the only person who seems to of accepted me even partially is a straight guy whos taste in music is questionable....that isnt rellevant but meh

10. Schu

I think I, like a lot of people, often look at my life and feel like it isn't as good as it could be, and the easy culprit is the lack of a relationship. So I start thinking things like that I need a relationship, which is completely untrue. It's just that the lack of a relationship in my life is an easy target for my inner critic.

11. xequar

Generally, if someone thinks they need a relationship, it's because they've got a bunch of shit going on in their life and are hoping that a relationship will magically cure all of it. Simultaneously, if that person happens to get into a relationship, it's probably not going to last because if one is in such a state, they won't be stable enough to hold down a relationship.

It's like the old saying goes: "If you're not fit company for yourself, you're not fit company for anyone else, either." If you can't be happy single, then chances are you can't be happy with someone else, either.

12. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    well said, I think this speaks mountains. at the same time, I know I go through cycles where I want a boyfriend. Mostly its because I feel that what I want a boyfriend for is all the things I can't have from my friends. I love the idea of having someone every day that I can hold and cudle and love. I want to be warm with someone

13. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I want someone to 'fill in' the gap of no love that my mum used fill to give before she died. My dad never gives that loved sense to me. Plus its the fact that it's human nature just to go out looking for a partner. Gay or straight. Also as said many times before its the Company. Its someone to hug, someone to go to when your feeling down, someone to spend your time with. Yes you can do all of that with a best friend but it doen't have the same meaning if it was all from someone you love.

14. runner246

runner246 Guest

do we need relationships? only if we want to remain a sane human being. i think they've actually done studies about how the human mind contains and deals with information and sensory data and found that emotions and things like that can actually 'transfer' somehow in the brain and lead to depression and different types of behaviors. Eventually, being completely closed on yourself leads to insanity. So, yeah, we all need relationships. it's how we let go of those things we don't need and let our bodies and minds relax, recharging the system.

15. Schu

Sounds like that could apply just as well to good friends though. I don't think being single would lead to insanity if that person had good friends they could talk to.

16. Nawy56

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think we are made to crave companionship. When we feel lonely, all we want is someone constant to love and hold. It isn't unreasonable by any means.
    However, I think we can lead happy lives not in a relationship. If you surround yourself with good people and close friends, you can be content.
    But that longing for physical relationships is how we are made in my opinion. you can find happiness elsewhere, but there is no shame in longing for a relationship!