1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youth Group

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Roxas101, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello EC!

I'm contemplating going to a LGBT youth group that is run at my local youth centre, though I have to admit I'm a little bit nervous about going. The youth centre itself hosts band nights every few weekends, so I tend to go to those quite a bit, but I think it's just a matter of finding enough courage to actually go to the LGBT group... I asked one of my friends if she wanted to go with me (she's Bi...) and she said yes, but we still haven't gone yet.

Has anyone got any experience with such things? Is it worth going to? etc.

Thanks...
    Kaleb.

2. TheKingDavis

I havent, but i wish we had one in my town

3. punkrocker99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to my local youth group recently for the first time. I was very nervous also, but I thought it was definitely worth going to. I went on a weekend which apparently is not a very busy day for the youth group so almost no one was there. This was good and bad because I met a very nice lesbian but I didn't meet any other gay guys that I could talk to or have a relationship with in the future...So I vote yes you should go because hopefully you can meet someone. :slight_smile: And I also think you should try to get your bi friend to come with you. (I took my straight best friend) (girl)

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Kaleb! I think it would be awesome if you would go! Yes, it is totally worth it. When I went into a LGBT support group office for the first time I was really nervous. But you know what? Once you have the first time behind you, it will be a lot easier the second time around.

I think its great that you have asked your friend to come along. It will definitely make things easier on you. Maybe try finding out when the next meeting is, and ask your friend if she could join you on that day.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Sacramento gay-lesbian center where I do some volunteer work has youth programs and I've observed the youth group meetings a couple of times. They (and probably most other gay-lesbian youth groups) go out of their way to make things inviting and comfortable and safe because they know that every person coming to the group for the first time is afraid.

Most of the group meetings I'm familar with have some sort of icebreaker (a simple question of some sort so you can learn a little about people in the group), but you're never forced to talk if you don't want to.

I think you'll be amazed how accepting and welcoming the group will be, and as Mirko said, after the first meeting, it will be much easier to go to the second one. :slight_smile: