1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just when I thought I was strong enough to leave

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RedState, Nov 24, 2009.

1. RedState

I, however, am not.
    It's been a while sinceI hae ventured on here. But comforting t be back.
    I have decided to come out to a good friend tomorrow. Any advice?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm glad you came back and posted. It's totally fine if you are not strong enough to leave. Actually, you never have to leave. If it gives you comfort and you feel EC gives you a bit of 'security' and a place where you can be yourself stay around.

Now to coming out. I think it's great that you have made that decision. It seems that you are ready and comfortable to come out to your friend, which is great!

Maybe try to invite your friend for a coffee at a coffee shop or for a bit to eat. Try to think about a place where you feel most comfortable and invite your friend to that place. That will already help you feel a bit at ease. Before you start, take a deep breath and take it from there. Start the conversation as you have done it perhaps before.

Good luck! Hope it goes well for you.

3. RedState

Thanks Mikro...actually I'm a complete basket case. I cannot believe that ONE dude...who I will never be with...has made me come to this conclusion. But it's eating at me like a cancer

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! Don't let that one person have such an impact on you. Hopefully your coming out tomorrow will give you a bit of a different perspective on things. I'm sure you will find after your coming out tomorrow that you are not a basket case at all. (*hug*)

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The whole "coming out" bit is something to get beyond. Like getting that splinter out of your finger. There's often a lot of build-up and fear of pain, and quite often, it's almost nothing. And once the splinter is out, you can get back on with your life. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome back! There is never anything wrong with coming here and asking advice.

Advice I usually give:

- Try to make sure you're undisturbed for the coming out. Nothing can ruin the moment like friends/family bursting in fight at the point where you're telling "I'm gay"

- Prepare for questions. Most people like to ask what I would call the stadard questions: how long have you known? do you have a boyfriend? Why are you telling this right now? Who else knows? And sometimes: how can you really be sure?
    You already know the answers to these ones! All you have to do is answer them!

- Just start the conversation and steer towards the coming out. Try not to wait until the "right moment", since the ideal moment never happens until you make it happen.

You'll be fine, though! If this is really a good friend, he/she will understand!
    And I'm sure you're not a basket case. At most a bit stressed out over this. But you will do fine!!
    (*hug*)

7. xequar

Or ripping off a bandaid. Do it quickly and get it done and it's pretty painless. Pull it slowly and it'll hurt like hell as it pulls every individual hair and stretches your skin all over the place.