1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by losecontrol2, Nov 26, 2009.

1. losecontrol2

I've suspected this guy I work with (waiter) for quite a while now, but 2 days ago it actually felt like he was testing me. He's not effeminate but there's something a little different and gay about him, I can't explain it. You can just tell his head isn't completely clear, it could be some other sort of insecurity though.

A few weeks ago we were all on a long drive and we were sitting together in the back. He leaned on my shoulder (and chest) like he was asleep but he didn't seem that sleepy. Then when he got up 10 minutes later, it seemed like he was trying too hard to show he was waking up (rubbing his eyes, shoulder shrugs, etc.). That was a little odd but maybe that was just me. There was also a Christina Aguilera remix n his ipod (stereotypes are often correct) but it featured Redman...

Two days ago I was ready to leave after my shift and he started running so he could catch me. He started a long random conversation, at the time he was supposed to work. That may sound normal but it felt awkward and out of place, we're not close and we hardly discuss anything but work. He talked about his ex-girlfriend (?!). He then talked about a girl that just passed by. It was extremely random which leaves 3 options - 1) he was testing me because he's gay, 2)he's straight and wanted to check my reaction (highly doubt that, he's a pretty good guy), or 3) he's trying really hard to make friends. Even if he was gay, it's painfully obvious he'd be a closet case. He looks like he's still going through something. When he talked to some guy and someone made a gay joke about him, he got too defensive.

Closet cases who even deny it to themselves are not trustworthy. I don't think I'll come out to him. But I'm curious. How can I test him? Should I? He's 18 by the way.

2. TroubledRyan

hmmm,well if it was #2,and he was testing you,and from what you said,it does sound like he has an interest in you,the simple fact that he would rest on you to "sleep" says alot,if you ask me
    so what i think,if you like him,and want anything to happen between you,i wouldnt nessasarly advise testing(even though i do it alot)but,just talk to him,he clearly want to talk to you

3. losecontrol2

I don't know about the shoulder thing, if he's so terrified of the idea of being gay that he has to talk about girls and his ex-girlfriend, wouldn't he be scared to lean on a guy and "turn" gayer? If he's gay then I'm pretty sure he even denies it to himself.

Coming out to him could backfire at me cause chances are he's straight, and if he's not then he's probably not stable and confident about his sexuality. I also don't want to be pathetic and convince myself he's gay because I had a little crush on him months ago. He gives off a gay vibe sometimes, but so do other people and I don't give it much thought.

4. TroubledRyan

hmm,i wouldnt just go flat out and come out to him,but like,just keep watching over him,all the small things,and if he is gay,he probly isnt comfterble with it,and denies it,it may also just be a faze thow

5. UserName

Eh, I could see where you would think he's gay there are a few of my friend guys that do the same thing; I'm pretty sure they are all closeted which sucks - but I just came out...so who knows, maybe something different might happen. However, two people that I suspected that were gay reacted the worst when I decided to come out to them - now that either 1. means that they are very insecure about their sexuality (they are gay/closeted) and don't know how to deal with the situation when brought up to them or 2. They are straight and maybe thought that I was interested in them... but one of them I still talk too, and the other one I haven't heard back from since I've told I was gay. But, I mean for me at least, I feel like it's pretty apparent if some one is gay/closeted/etc. I just think there's that vibe there and other subtle things you notice by being closeted and learning how to act "straight" that straight guys just don't have. More then likely he's gay, but even if he is there is probably not much that will occur from the situation either way. Just my opinion though :-/ wish it was the opposite! haha.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he IS a closet case, maybe he is because he's never found somebody he can talk to about being gay.

Lex

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

I'm leaning towards Lex's statement in that if he has never had anyone to talk to, it could very well be that he is a closet case, and really looking for someone to talk to.

That said, I'm always cautioning people of reading too much into things. Yes, there a couple of clues where you could say that 'he might not be straight.' But then again, given that he had at least one girlfriend and is talking about girls, there is a chance he might be actually bisexual. But here we already get into the ifs and the buts and the analysis already has begun. In many ways it is a slippery slope to get onto, because our minds like these kinds of things. At the end of the day we have come up with a plausible explanation, which might actually be leading us into doing things that in hindsight we wish we would not have done. :slight_smile:

The only thing you are sure of is that you are gay. The only thing you are sure of is that he did come after you to talk about his ex-girlfriend. Why not build on that?

He has given you an opportunity to learn about him. By talking to you about his ex-girlfriend, the possibility that he trusts you is there. Build on that opening. The next time you see him, why not ask him for a coffee, and take it from there.....

8. losecontrol2

UserName, that's exactly what I meant. Those who are closeted and still in the stage of proving to themselves they can still be straight, their reactions can be worse than everyone else's. We're not even close friends so my sexuality shouldn't even be discussed anyway, especially if I don't know for sure that he's gay too.

EXACTLY. Although sometimes that could just be some other insecurity, so you can't jump into conclusions so quickly.

9. losecontrol2

It's very likely he's never been open about his sexuality with anyone else if he's actually gay. The way I keep talking about how closeted he is makes it sound like I'm totally out and totally free, and that's not the case. The only difference between us is that I know who I am and I'm past the stage of thinking I can change or trying to impress others (or myself) by having a girlfriend. Again, IF he's even gay.

I know his dad is pretty "trashy" and still really active in his son's life (he actually called the manager) so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be in denial/in the closet because of that too.

I'd rather not embarass myself, because if I'm wrong then it will just be awkward. We don't know each other that well. And even if he IS gay, his opening line was still his about his ex-girlfriend, chances are it'd backfire. The weirdest part was when he said some girl was hot... it wasn't that convincing. Maybe he is just trying to make friends with people or something.

10. shorty

Chatting about girls is usually the ice breaker with 90% of guys in my experience. So I wouldn't read too much into it when he does mention girls. Its not neccesarily declaring his heterosexuality, just trying to start a conversation.

11. losecontrol2

Not even saying he's thinking of getting back wirh his ex girlfriend? If he's gay, he seems like the type of guy that would never come out. He could be bisexual but that's really rare... many "bisexuals" just lie.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Even if you don't know each other that well, there is nothing wrong with going for a coffee, and trying to get to know someone better. There is nothing embarrassing here. If he is straight, that's cool. If he is bi or gay, that's cool too. :slight_smile:

You are going on a lot of assumptions here, which could really lead you into a different direction and in the end you might actually get a different read on him than you otherwise would have. It is always better to stay clear of assumptions about someone's sexuality and rather let that person tell you.

Why would you embarrass yourself? All you would be doing is trying to get to know someone better without asking anything about his sexual orientation or revealing anything about yours (if you are not out to him). You are not asking him on a date, you are asking him for coffee, in the hopes of gaining a friendship. :slight_smile:

13. losecontrol2

True. I just doubt that even if he was gay, he'd say it. Even if we were really good friends. I shouldn't make assumptions but I'm just that curious. I had a little crush on him at one point, mostly physical so I got over it easily. Now months later he's showing gay signs. I guess I'll try to get to know him a little better because there's no way I'm saying anything... :slight_smile:

14. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Having one Christina Aguilera song isn't enough, since she's also sexy to men. It's when a female singer is only listen to predominately women, such as Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift, it's a sign he could be gay. You know what I mean? It's like a female singer audience is ONLY women, since her music reflects being feminine and the audience can relate.

Men can relate to Christina Aguilera because she's sexy, and talking about sex like "Dirrty". What genre was the song in, and what album did it come off from? It makes a world of difference. If it's "Candy Man" or "Genie in a Bottle", then he's more gayer than if it's "Tell me" or "Fighter".

The laying on the shoulder is a strong hint, since subconsciously he wants a man to hold him or something. Or... he could be hinting that he wants someone to love him, and to support him. Or it could mean he know he's not gay, and just fell asleep there.

He mention the girlfriend, since he might either actually does care for her and she was on his mind and , OR he's proving to himself that he is not gay to you because he might be picking up that you could be gay.

I think he's a closet case who isn't coming out any time soon, or he's straight and just going through some things in life.

Have you thought you were searching for things that weren't there, and just hoping he could be gay?

15. losecontrol2

LMAO...I don't know. It was Dirrty but in a dance/techno remix. He also has Lady Gaga's first song but I guess a lot of people liked it?

I try not to, I'm pretty careful with that. He's pretty attractive but there are other, more attractive guys I never even considered were gay.

Nothing makes him gay for sure. Maybe he did fall asleep, maybe he's just insecure and that's why he had weird reaction when someone called him gay, maybe he's trying to make friends to feel better during work.

#15 losecontrol2, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  16. paco

paco Guest

if you wanna test him, have a flirting contest. bring a hot girl (friend) with you, and both of you flirt with him and see who he responds to most.

he won't catch on, no one ever does.

#16 paco, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
  17. TroubledRyan

ewwww I like that test :grin:

18. Kryz

I'd say go hang out with him, do wathever it is guys do ~normally~ over there.

If he's gay, he might try more stuff with you.

If he's straight, you'll get to know him better.

Either ways you'll maybe make a good friend.

19. overlucid

He could be bi and uncomfortable about this.

20. ohkbye

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OMG SOUNDS LYK EVERY GUY I'VE EVER CARE FOR
    Honestly, I have a thing for these "in-betweeners" and it hardly works out for me. BUT I CANNOT HELP IT.