1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best friends tomorrow. Terrified.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nawy56, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Nawy56

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, no reason for posting this, but I just needed to write a little about it to calm myself I guess.
    So tomorrow, I'm going back to school from break and I am planning on telling my two best friends that I'm gay. I am so uncertain about how they are going to take it. They are both great guys and will work hard to accept me regardless if they do right away or not, but I know things are going to change. The dynamics between the three of us (which I currently love) will never be the same.:tears: However, I think it is time to tell them about myself.
    The one I am more worried about has been my best friend for eight years. He has been a constant in my life, and I would not be surprised if that constant became variable as soon as I tell him. He has never approved of homosexuality and until college, vilified it. He has gotten better, but I don't know how he is going to take his best friend's sexuality. In the long run it will help him accept gays in general, but I am worried about our friendship.

Thankfully, I feel I am confident enough and have surrounded myself with great people to know that if they end up not accepting me, it will not hurt my view of myself in any way. It will hurt if I lose them, but me being me is much more important at this point. I finally have confidence about my life.
    Once I tell them, I feel it will be easier to tell more people (3 know at this point). Although I don't want thing to change with them, I need to be out and I am not willing to come out to others and risk them finding out from someone else. So the time has to be now!

Wish me luck! I am terrified, but thanks to EC confident in my ability to move on regardless of their reaction(&&&)!
    I will let you know what happens! I can guarantee about ten minutes of struggling to get the words out of my mouth. It's been so hard to speak them, but its time.

2. revolutionrock

Firstly, I wish you the best of luck. :slight_smile: Secondly, in my experience, the awkwardness was over really quickly. Like, the most awkward part is saying it aloud, then them processing it. After the initial shock, it seems like people are pretty chill about it. I can tell you that the dynamic between me and my best friends hasn't changed a bit. Which is a huge relief as I had the same concerns you did.

You'll do great, and whatever happens happens! :grin:

3. TroubledRyan

Don't worry :grin:
    friends are generaly supportive,and I'am sure everything will go great :grin:

4. fulofbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As per above comment, good friends are usually very supportive.

good luck!

5. Ralivar

I'm sure that everything will go great, if you feel that you are ready then it is the right time to tell them.

I think that you are probably right, it is best that they hear it from you rather than from someone else, even if they don't accept it straight away (which from the sounds of it shouldn't be a problem.)

Also Good Luck. :thumbsup:

6. Nick

If your friends have issues dealing that you are "gay all of a sudden" tell them that "No, I've been gay for a while. It's just now you know that I am."

Good luck with it all :slight_smile:

7. Nawy56

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It went amazingly well. They were both shocked, but immediately supportive. We talked about it a little bit, and then things went back to normal. It hasn't been normal for weeks because I have been wanting to tell them. So thankful for good friends.

8. Nick

That's great to hear ! I'm glad that they both accepted it well, even though you were a bit unsure about their reaction.

Well done !

9. shorty

Awesome! (!) So happy for you, and your great friends.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

More like, "I've been gay since I was born, but I'm just letting you in on it now."

Congrats that it all went well :]

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so glad it went well and didn't change the dynamics between you guys :grin:

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome, glad t hear it went well! Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life :wink:

13. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for telling them ! And that's great that they are supportive.