1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highschool

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mydogstewie, Nov 29, 2009.

1. mydogstewie

How many people have gone through Highschool out of the closet, and it was torture? Well, I am.

It's not too bad, I don't get teased often, but people just remind me about it like 24/7. At lunch, "Parker, you're bi"

It's just a constant reminder I'm different and I hate it.

I want to be normal... ):

2. TroubledRyan

hmmm
    Well,im bout to find out what it's like very soon(if things go bad)
    But I rekon,if you only have straight guy friends,you will be reminded of it.
    Try to find girls,they tend to be less judgemental,and love gay guys(somtimes)
    or other gay groups,they are just the same,and you wont be thrown out for being gay

3. frootl00p

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i was sorta forced out back in high school.. and i totally know what u're going thru.

everyone strives to be normal, because everyone else pretty much is. but being different can be a great thing too. if they continue to point it out or tease, just tease them back. this is what i did before.
    Them: "Hey homo."
    Me: "Hey hetero."
    for me it helped me get thru it and people who didn't understand pretty much stopped. cos they knew it didn't bother me. try that out :slight_smile:

and good luck. tough time you're going through

4. mydogstewie

They don't really insult me, it's just...gah..."Hey, you like sucking dick right"...usually, I do say something back like, "Yes, and?"...then I go back to what I was doing, but even though I act like it doesn't hurt me, it does.

I've told the counselor and the main people who were doing it stopped like immedietly, but my friends are the ones who joke about it most often. Especially this one friend, except he jokes about EVERYONE!

Anyways, thanks frootl00p, I'll try that sometime :slight_smile:

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was out for the last couple of years and it wasn't too pleasant. If it's your friends who joke about it, they might think that it's not bothering you - maybe you could sit down with them and tell them "look, it really hurts me when you comment on my sexuality, I know you think you're just having a joke, but it really makes me feel bad, could you please tone it down?" If they're your friends and they know you're serious, they might listen to you.

6. mydogstewie

Thanks Maddy. I'll try that :slight_smile:

7. Idunnohereitis

at my school being bi is no big deal, cuz its everywhere i dont see it, its never as bad as the otheres.. cuz its so common... a lot of ppl say they are just to identify with something and someppl just naturally are, i d k, it could be a lot worse, i live in a small town by the city and its filled or hicks who are racist and hate any orientationother than straight. Im Completely gay and theres nothing i can do about it, being here makes me feel terrible and targeted. Sometimes it is light harted kkiinda, like osme will bring it up and just go "no way or Thats weird" and then some start talking and some ppl will tell me im fucked up or bluntly say rude things to me, ivenever been close to any one i eas dating in public infron of them but they still hunt me down to bother me, ive had stuff yelled at me right after i get a slushi chucked at me, im not that different from them, if i could be straight i would. I dont complain about it, cuz theres nothing i can do, what they think is in how they will forever, they were raised to think like that and i alone cant fix that.... I just hate the stuff i have to deal with sometimes, the names hte stuff they do they way they act and the stuff i have ot avoid out of my highschool times just si u dont have to put up with stuff.. i hate the way some ppl are.. but i cant blame them for who htey are.. i just wish they wouldnt blame me for who i am.

8. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Ugh, I'm in high school and I still have a year and a half left of being out. It's actually not as bad as I thought it'd be; I just get a lot of immature comments from stupid people.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even though I know it's wrong to insult them, when guys came by me and said 'fag', I respond simply by saying 'breeder'. Though I want to have kids too, it's a good insult lol....

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>It's just a constant reminder I'm different and I hate it.

Everybody is different. EVERYBODY. And EVERYBODY hates it in high school. Every single student stares in the mirror and hates what they see.

The fat ones want to be skinnier.
    The skinny ones want to be fatter.
    The short ones want to be taller.
    The tall ones wish they weren't so tall.
    The klutzy ones want to be athletic.
    The jocks want to be smarter.
    The plain ones want to be more attractive.
    And the attractive ones wish people wouldn't notice them all the time.

EVERYBODY does this. High school is a time to be insecure, and hate everything about yourself, and assume everybody else isn't living this, and thinking that if only this, or if only that, then everything would be OK. But it wouldn't. Another insecurity would rush to fill the void, and you'd be back where you were.

For many people, the only way to overcome the insecurities is not by pulling themselves up, but by trying to pull others down. And so they look for what they perceive are weaknesses in others, and harp on them. They make fun of the klutzes for being klutzy, at the unfashionable ones for their clothes, at the short people for their height. They give the slow kids grief for their Ds and the geeks for their As. And yeah, they make fun of the gay and bi kids for their sexuality. But it's not as if being straight would spare you the teasing. It just gives them something to target on. Were it not the sexuality, it'd be your height, your grades, your looks, your hobbies, something else.

So what do you do? Own it. When they make fun of your sexuality, OWN it. Don't act like it's something to be ashamed of, because it isn't. "Yeah, I'm bi. Just means I double my chances of getting a date on the weekend. Kinda sucks to be you, don't it?"

Lex

11. SRSLYMARK

I've gone through almost five semesters of high school out of the closet. Everyone who has only known me in high school has always known me as gay. It's been an interesting experience. I'm proud to say that I've never been gay bashed (I was threatened once), and I really never get teased because of it. Even a couple of the teachers know, and they're cool about it.

A lot of it has to do with my personality, which is just extremely open and honest. Like, I think that people can tell that I'm not insecure, so they don't see a need to pester me about my sexuality and make a big deal out of it.

Basically, coming out in high school is a calculated risk. The biggest thing to consider is the general tolerance of the student body. If you think it would be a problem to be out, there's a good chance it would be. But then again, things like this tend to seem a lot worse than they actually are. :3

12. ohkbye

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    <3

13. Silvermark

Pure awesomeness.

14. Etorem

Etorem Guest

I made the unwise decision of casually implying that I'm gay... In the 8th grade.
    Only a handful of people witnessed the event, but it seemed like the whole grade, and even people I'd never spoken to before, were soon in the know. It was terrifying.
    Two guys from my class spotted me sitting in the gym, and pushed a hockey net to the wall, trapping me and exclaiming that they had "caught a gay". They proceeded to drill me with questions. People who I considered friends before then had turned on me, with the exception of my best friend, who remained the same as always.

You've got to love small schools in small towns.
    Oddly enough, everyone seemed to have forgotten by the following year.

The friends I made in my first semester of university just seemed to know for some reason, and it wasn't a big deal. They're rather accepting.
    Alas, since I've been single my whole life and I'm not terribly open about sexuality, I'm more or less considered asexual by people who know me. It's a little bothersome.

15. Connor22

I don't know wether coming out is a good idea or not, I really don't know. I mean I don't want to wait till im 20, I want out of the F£#@!%& closet NOW, except I'm really good friends with loads of guys and well... to them, Gay guy+them=RUN! SCREAM! PUNCH! WILDLY IN MY GENERAL DIRECTION!!!!! sorry needed to get that out, what should I do because I'm almost certain it's just my paranoia that's telling me this, and well my judgement hasn't always been that good (told a joke about blondes while surrounded by blonde girls... VERY bad idea)

16. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    When I came out in high school it was pretty 50/50 some stupid ignorant people but overall it was a pretty good experiance I'm glad I was proud of who I am and walked down those halls with confidence rather than hide away and let them win

Plus when people make smart-ass comments at you I find it much funner to make them back like when guys say "so your like a dyke give me 5 mins baby I'll fix you" I always liked to say "give me 5 minutes with your girlfriend and there will be 2 dykes" *wink*

17. xequar

I was in high school in the late '90s in a rural farm town in mid-Michigan, and I was closeted (for a number of reasons). In that environment, not coming out wasn't as much of a fear of being teased as it was a fear of being beaten bloody. And yes, there were a couple of kids that many suspected were gay, and they got the shit beaten out of them. Regularly.

18. mydogstewie

Well, thank god nobody in my school is violent. They would be scared if they knew a teacher would find out. hehe

19. kettleoffish

I'm out at school. It's not bad at all, there's always going to be a few ignorant bellends who give me shit for it, but I really couldn't care less what they think. It used to be a lot worse for me, I used to be pretty much on my own with only a few friends, most of whome never stuck up for me anyway, but I kept an open mind as people grow up and a lot of people who used to torment me are now my friends. It's just the way things are, you can't hold the way someone acts as a kid over them, and life's too short to hold a grudge anyway.

20. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would so be out if it wasn't for my brother being in the same high school because he would report back.

There's this gay guy I like, and he's steriotypical so I like him more. But he doesn't know I exist (well he does but I only had one class with him throughout highschool).