1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A friend in need.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Doreibo, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Doreibo

Hi guys, been a while since I've posted here but things never stay the same.

So in some of my previous threads I have talked about my depression. It is still there, and at times it spirals out of control, but I feel that it isn't as bad as others. I am yet to stay in bed all day because of it and for the most part I am a happy guy.

But this thread isn't about me. It is about one of my friends. I recently heard rumours that he too suffers from depression and had started taking meds for it. In the last 3 weeks or so, I haven't seen him turn up to school. . .I asked some of his closer friends but they seem to be hiding the truth, which I think I know. It all seems as if I'm poking my nose where it doesn't belong, but I'm worried about him. I hope that these rumours aren't true but I guess I fell as if they are and I'm just at a loss as to what to do. I can't contact him, I'm not a close friend so things are very likely to get awkward, but as some one who suffers from depression, and worries endlessly upon others, I can't sit idly by without feeling guilty or overwhelming pity. . .

What is there to do?

PS:I am also a great fan and know alot of one hit wonders with regards to self help lines so I think I need some advice with some substance behind it. Thanks!

#1 Doreibo, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. Jim1454

Well I'm not sure I understand why you can't reach out to him. If you've suffered from depression, then you know how he feels, and how you would like to be approached by someone else. What would you like to have done for you?

Perhaps a simple card or hand written letter, letting this person know that you're there for them to talk to if they are interested in talking to someone who understands.

Otherwise, I think you have to assume that his friends and parents and teachers are dealing with this. They're not talking about it openly because this is a matter that should be kept private. So don't try to take on too much unless you have reason to fear for his safety.