1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wasted Years...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andromeda, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Has anyone felt like they waste their life away without realizing they did it?

I am worried about my own death and aging. I am turning 18 soon, and I know I wasted all my teenage years so far. I kind of regret it too, since they were suppose to be some of the best years of life. I was at my youngest during those years, now I am just going to grow old after this point. It won't happen quickly though.

The only memories I have of my teenage years were fighting with the family, being stuck in school, and being on the computer. Here and there a few good moments and a few bad moments, but overall that sums my years.

I like myself, but I think being in the closet and overweight has really damage everything. I am not really living life the way it is meant to be lived I guess, since I just wake up to wake up.

2. mydogstewie

You haven't wasted them. It only seems like you've wasted them. I feel the same way, when I think about all the things I've done in my childhood, it was pretty damn good.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, self pity isn't going to change anything. get out there and start enjoying life.

4. Greggers

Whoever said your teenage years are supposed to be the best of your life is pretty much on some hard drugs or chose the wrong pill from the strange black man in the trenchcoat.

Seriously, teenagers have it hard these days. Really hard. Who has time to have fun when your suffering the hell that is the hierarchy of high school? You dont live for yourself in those years, you live for your reputation, good or bad.

Im almost 20, and ive only just started living for myself.

5. Eleanor Rigby

Well, for most people, teenage years are not the best but the worst years of their lives. for most people, teenage meens trying to fit in, fighting parents, struggling at school, going through first heartbreaks, not exactly the description of heaven right ?
    Hopefully, by growing older, you'll learn how to take some distance with the bad things that happens in your life and to appreciate the present moment instead of waiting for being rid of whatever is bothering you.
    So, welcome to the rest of your life. You're 18, enjoy it, now, because you'll be 28 before realizing it.

Take care, Eleanor

6. Gaetan

The best time of your life occurs whenever it does. For some, yeah, it might be the best time of their lives during high school. (The song "Summer of 69" comes to mind.) Or maybe the best time of your life will happen when you meet "the one" and that first summer spent together is the best time of your life.

I had a great time in high school with my friends, despite school and all that. I have so far had an equally great time in college. Calling these the best times of my life means the rest is only downhill, which I know it wont be.

In summary: enjoy life. Don't get caught up on calling something the best time of your life. Might be great now, but just imagine how things will be in the future. And don't think they will only go downhill--because they wont.

Live in the now, and look back on the past with fond memories.

7. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I think about my life sometimes. I am 21, so I figure I have lived about a fourth of my life, assuming I live a life that is about as long as other people (give or take). I do feel dissatisfied sometimes with it because I haven't made the impact I want to on others. I haven't done much volunteer work with the poor, I haven't been a parent or role model for anyone, and I have been a mediocre friend. Knowing all of this, I am more motivated to do these things which are important to me.

The only thing I can say that does comfort me is that I have been with my boyfriend for about two years now. We have shared all of ourselves with one another for the time we have been together, so at least I know that hasn't been wasted. :slight_smile:

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently, during my teenage years, I was supposed to be involved in a ton of activities while earning straight As and experimenting to discover not only my sexuality but which lubricant I prefer.

I spent most of them lounging on the couch watching reruns.

College was the time when I forged a network of business connections, worked towards my brilliant dissertation that would add to the sum of knowledge of mankind, and plotted my entire career path. Oh, and fucked anything with a pulse capable of giving consent.

I spent most of college stumbling towards a B average, and hanging out with friends.

Do I regret all this? No. Not at all. Because I enjoyed those years, and I'm happy where I ended up.

If you're about to turn 18, it means you're probably in your last year of high school. If so, then you know what you need to do. If you're tired of being overweight, start a plan on how to lose some of that extra weight. If you're tired of being in the closet, either work on coming out soon (before graduation), or work on a plan so you can come out once you're in college or out on your own. Because these things ARE within your power. It may be scary to find out you're in control, but the fact is you ARE in control. So start steering in a direction you want to go. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. Gurds101

Teenage years sucked... think about all the years you have ahead of you to enjoy. 0-18 is just a small fraction of that!

10. Aoifeee

I feel like that aswell..terrified that I've done nothing with myself and that I've wasted years, and missed out on many things. I've wasted quite some time concerning school as I'm a dosser :/ And I have never played a sport, an instrument, joined a group did drama..etc...I really feel like I've missed out in those areas :/ I just want to be a well adjusted person.

At the very least I can say I didn't miss out on teenage experiences! Been arrested, shoplifted, spent all my money on piercings, dyed my hair a million and one colours, spent manys a night drunk and drugged....Basically...did everything you're not meant to do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm sorry you're feeling down, just know that teenage years are no way in hell meant to be the best of your life..I get tricked by that one sometimes too and feel bad about my own past..but seriously, life doesnt begin 'til college or even after in my opinion!

#10 Aoifeee, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  11. paco

paco Guest

i felt the same, i don't feel like i wasted high school time, being out in high school wouldnt have been the best because high schoolers can be mean, but i wish i would have been out sooner because i learned to hide myself in high school, and now its more difficult to be myself.

best advice ever.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Years are never wasted. You have accomplished things, and that's what really counts. Sure, sometimes you feel you could have done things differently or feel you could have done certain things that you wanted to do, but couldn't.

But you know what? You can still do all of the things that you want to do and accomplish. You still have your whole life ahead of you. If you look back at your life thus far, try to think about the things that you would like to do different. Start working away on them.

See them as opportunities to do things differently. Use them to change things. Both, 'being in the closet' and feeling of being 'overweight' are two things you can work on set some goals with. For example, you could set yourself the goal of wanting to come out to a couple of friends, being yourself around the people that you feel are important in your life.

Also, you could say to yourself, I really would like to do something about being overweight. Although it might not bother you that much, it seems that it is on your mind. Maybe try to get a bit more physically active. Set yourself the goal of going for a walk every day. Maybe set yourself the goal of joining a gym.

In other words, they haven't damaged anything, but rather they give you the opportunities to do things differently. They give you the opportunities to challenge yourself which might also help you in discovering a different side of you that you haven't gotten to know yet.

What is your understanding of....

....?

I guess it would depend on how you look at it. If you want to be more open and yourself, starting to come out to those who you are important to you, you would start living your live the way it is meant to be. If you feel that you are not ready for that step, it still doesn't mean that you don't live your life the way it is meant to be. That's just one aspect of your life.

If there are certain goals that you have, start pursuing them. If you need to set yourself some goals, do that. Think about what is it that you want to do. Think about what you want to accomplish.

13. guacj

I can really relate to you...during my teeneage years I suppressed my sexuality, and all of the pain that it caused. I turned to food to numb the pain, but that only lasted so long. I am now 23 and have finally come to terms with my sexuality. I have started the coming out process. I have only told my closest friends, but you would never believe the amount of relief that has taken off of my mind. Over the summer I also found the strength to start changing myself. I lost 50 pounds and I think that dealing with my emotions really played a key role in that. I also thought that high school was probably the 4 most painful years of my life. That is when you really start, at least for me, to identify as being gay or straight. College really helped me to open up and become happier. I have met some of my best friend during these years and they make me a better person.

I don't want this to seem like its all about me, but I feel your pain. I truly believe that your sexuality is the one thing in life that you can not decide for yourself. It's part of who you are. Once you can come to terms with that and start the process of coming out, you will be able to have a better grasp on how you live your life!

Best of luck to you!

14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Time is remarkably kind on the good memories and erases the bad ones. The past is always the best time of your life because you forget the bad stuff you had to deal with. And the future is always filled with impending doom.

You know, when I look back at highschool now, I think I had a pretty good time. That is not the impression I had when I was there, however. Stress, my inability to deal with social situations, being in the closet even to myself, being slightly overweight… After graduation I cried because of how I wasted my time, and how I ruined my chance at a good life forever.

Same for university. In retrospect, it was pretty good, and a lot of the times, it really was. Doesn’t mean that every day was fun, though. In fact, I had some of the worst days of my life there too. And I was still mired with the same problems from highschool: closet, stress, bad physical condition etc…

Only afterwards did I really change things. I started coming out, I became more active. I got a job. I started working out and lost my extra weight. I basically took charge of where I wanted to go. And I’m thinking that right now I’m actually enjoying life while it happens, instead of in memories! It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty great regardless!

I think you’re doing fine! You already figured out you’re gay and not helping things by being in the closet. You already figured out that being overweight isn’t where you want to be. You want to change things. That already puts you a lot farther than I was at 18…
    Now what you have to decide is what to do with the time that is ahead. Try to do some exercise to lose the extra weight. Make a plan to come out to people you trust first, and other people later on. The peace of mind you get from not having to lie anymore is staggering, really.
    If you go to college or strike out on your own, try to make new friends. And don’t let others tell you how life is supposed to be lived!

15. Jim1454

If you've done well enough in school to carry on to college, then you've accomplished what you needed to in your teenage years. Doing that alone is no easy task.

I can safely say that RIGHT NOW I'm having the best time of my life SO FAR. And I'm 38 years old.

There's really not point in having regrets. You can't go back and change anything anyway. So learn from your past, and make the most of today.

16. Camman3

I spent most of my teenage years fighting depression, all the high school bullies, and hating myself for not enjoying sport and just sitting indoors all day (having a sedentary lifestyle).

I have done a complete 180 degrees in the past 18 months. I just decided to take on more opportunities. I am now very active, go to gym and run each week so I feel very healthy all the time and I am getting the body I want. I have made good friends, I got involved in the choir, musicals, and I still do well at my school work. I have excelled in all areas of my life and I have finally started enjoying my life.

I realised I was gay, came out to friends and family (I would definitely say that was the first step - without that I would still be miserable, no matter how fit or involved you are). After coming out, the rest of my life seemed to have more meaning.

I am 17 now and turning 18 in exactly 4 months. I used to fear that I would look back at my teenage years and think that I wasted them. I didn't let that happen.

Start by coming out to whoever you can safely. Then decide what you want to achieve for yourself and start working towards goals. Your teenage years aren't over yet! You should also start being conscious about your health - a healthy diet becomes a good habit (and actually very enjoyable) and fitness makes you feel amazing.

Let me know if there's anythin I can help you with! :slight_smile: I'll gladly talk to you or elaborate on anything you want me to :slight_smile:

EDIT: PS: I don't know how it happened, but one day I just stopped caring what others think about me. That helps a lot too. Do your best to not outwardly show discomfort.

#16 Camman3, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  17. Aoifeee

Wow, that's pretty much me right now..is there any advice or magical tips that can turn my life around too? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. guacj

like camman said dont live your life by what others might think of you...I did the same and that was really the first step for me.

19. Aoifeee

That's a good way of thinking....but it's easier said than done :/ I guess all I can do is keep on going and work on it! :slight_smile:

20. Doreibo

As I'm sure others have said, any moment in life is not wasted. Every single bit of life has made you who you are so be proud of it! Also, teenage years are often the hardest in life. You are adjusting, you are changing and you are only just beginning. Hearing you talk about getting old and dieing is kinda depressing, especially since you are so young! There is a whole world out there that you are yet to explore. School life is but the beginning of a whole wide universe to be experienced! Don't worry about what was, worry about what will be. Stop living in the past, look to the future! Life is what you make of it, so make of it whatever the hell you want yea? If you want something, set your sights on it and drive ahead! If you put your all into what you do and you strengthen your conviction you can achieve anything. It seems cheesy I know, but if you REALLY want something, all you have to do is go for it. Never lose sight of what you want, what you TRULY want and make sure that you enjoy life, most of all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: