1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mind over Matter...and me!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nerdtendo, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Nerdtendo

First, let me say I have Aspergur's Syndrom. It's on the Autisim Spectrem, near the high functioning area (in other words, I'm not retarded or act like it, bless those who do...), so please dont make me put up with more of that.

One of the problomes with Aspergur's Syndrom is that I have to get everything set down in a concreat, solid matter. If something is off, I cant do the job quite right. If something isnt explained to me, like how I have a tool avaliable, I probably wont use the tool.

I am quite fine with that operation, of corse, but it's the opposit that I have problomes with: Once it's in my head, I MUST do it over and over again into infinet. If I was taught to, hypotheticly, raise my hand while putting on my shoes, I would do that every time, even if there was a low ceiling fan wirring around up there.

Let me show you how bad this can be in a real life senario: Mother punishes me (i deserved it), and I withdraw from the argument in fear of punishment. I'm not punished. Years later, Freind yells at me for something I didnt do, and I withdraw from the argument in fear of loss of freindship, or a punishment for the sake of argument.

Of corse, this little mind game can lead me into big trobble in other sinarios, such as I cant be so apologetic to someone who dosent like apologies (Plenty of them here. My brother's one.). It may affect big things like that, or the little things, such as a mistaken capital Mother instead of mother (I learned that 'Mother' is to be considered a title, and a tittle is indeed a name, thus the capatalization. The same with Father, Brother, Son, e.c.t.) or a lowercase i rather then I (That may be due to my own tendincy to put myself down, but thats another story.)

So here is my query to you: How do I get over this single minded fashion? (and for those of whom involved with Special Education, or more spisificaly, Aspurger's Sundrom, I'd be greatfull for help involving that via a private message.)

2. CrimsonThunder

Wow I've never even heard of that... I'm not sure what you could do, but start training yourself slowly by doing really small things. Get your parents to help you, eg: tell your mum to make u raise ur hand while tieing your shoe, do it then next time don't do it? I'm not sure dude. Hope this made sense to u.

3. 24601

I don't really have that much to say, really. I don't really know much about your condition or how to cope with things like that. I'm sorry that it has affected your life, even in this minor way. I do have a rather... off-topic question, though (sorry). Have you ever read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon? We had to read that last year for school, and not only was it a good book, but I believe the kid had a (rather severe) form of Asperger syndrome. Just kind of triggered my memory.

4. Nerdtendo

Well, from not haveing read the book, I may need to correct you. Asperger Syndrome isnt the scale it'self, it's on the scale of Autisem. I think you mean the kid had a (rather severe) form of Autisem. However, I have not read the book, and you may indeed be correct.

5. 24601

He supposedly has Asperger syndrome, but the conditions he exhibits in the book seem more severe than what's generally attributed to someone with it. I recommend the book, regardless of your autism or the specifics. I'd recommend it to anyone. Just was curious if it was something you could relate to in some way.

6. Nerdtendo

I just read a post on Wiki for a quick description of the kid, and I would say that it's not Aspurger's, though I am not a profesional in the topic. He does, indeed, share some qualitys of Autisem with the clasic signs of fixation (mathmatics), acute memory, and being unable to read most non-vurbal expresions. however, some things seem unrelated to Autisem, but Again, I'm no profesional.

By the way, not every kid with Autisem or Aspurgers or anything else on the Autistic Spectrum has all the same stuff.

7. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

well when i was in middle school i was a helper for a boy with autism.
    idk if it was asbergers or what but he seemed a little worse than the description u gave us.

what i was taught to do if an idea was stuck in his head is to follow these steps.

1- write the occuring habit down on a piece of paper(eg. raising hand while tying shoe)
    2- i would then have the boy comprehend and visualize in his mind the thing i wrote down.
    3- then i would crumple the paper into a ball and throw it away.

i think this snapped his mindframe out of whatever was happening.
    i would have to do these steps most often when he got on about spongebob.
    he loves that show.

do u think i helped?

8. Nerdtendo

Thats a bit intresting (and a bit parodoxagle) to what I read in a book called Freeks, Geeks and Auspurgers. Some boy from the UK wrote this book, and he described himself with a theripist who drew a picture and asked him what it was. The boy said it was just paper and pencle and got frusterated when he was repetidly asked the same question. What you did may of been seperate, but they may of been linked together in such a way that the kid may of gone through this in his own head, but didnt bother to argue with you since he lerned that arguing equals bad.

However, I do belive that this may of been a good idea if the kid got the right idea.

9. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

yeah it worked really well when he wouldnt work in school.
    he was such a good student at math.
    he amazed me

10. LorenzG1950

I would suggest making yourself an expert on the subject. If you know how your mind works a certain way and under what conditions, you can learn how to take the necessary countermeasures. This site already provided some useful info for those of us not familiar with the subject (like me).

http://www.addsuccess.co.uk/index.asp

I'm sure there are many more. :icon_bigg

11. Nerdtendo

helpfull as that link is, I wanna point out that thats ADHD, or basicly the 'I've-gotta-look-at-that-thing-becuse-it's-like-a-monkey-in-pants-oh-shoot-I'm-driving!' syndrom (My bro has that, so get to make fun of it. XD). No one section of the spectrem is gonna tell you the whole story.

As for me being a profesional, There are sevrual experts who do have the very same syndrom that they specilize in! However, there are more people with whatever syndrom they have who are better suited for diffrent jobs, such as one woman who has Aspurger's who's job is to check meat processing plants to be sure there humane.

Finnaly, I just wanna say that I love your Sig. XD

12. hideinyourshel

If I were you, I would speak to someone who knows what they're talking about (because I, and I guess most people here, don't really know what they're talking about)
    I don't really know who that might be (sorry to be unhelpful!) but a helpline such as the following one (for the UK I'm afraid,) might be a good place to start.
    http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=819

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful!