1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting drunk...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoBabyGoGo, Aug 17, 2007.

1. GoBabyGoGo

Ok, so ive been invited to a party in a couple of weeks, and i will probably have a bit to drink... but im really scared of getting drunk, cause i've never really been drunk before and i don't know what its like, and the thing is, im not at all 'out' to my friends and i really wouldn't want them to find out in the wrong way if you know what i mean:eusa_doh:

I don't know what to expect, and to make things worse, my best friend, who i STILL happen to have the most MAJOR crush on, will be there, and i'd hate to lose his friendship over something stupid like that. What if i started trying to crack on to him? What if i just blurted something out and made a fool of myself?? I have to try hard enough to keep my big mouth shut when sober!:icon_redf

But then again, you never know what might happen... He's always really physical with me and... well, if he's drunk, he might be a bit more... spontaneous:rolleyes: and i *might* find out somethi-- I dunno. I dunno what i should do... Surely someone's been in this situation before...?

2. Nerdtendo

Well, from the mouth of an Alcaholic councler's son, dont drink in the first place. ...But let's toss that aside, since I'm sure you have your line of reasoning for takeing the drink (a very bad line of reasoning, but whatever). let's focus on the feard blurt.

First, consider this: If your drunk, you act on impulse. So, ask yourself if your freinds will even bring up the subject of sexuality while your intoxicated. If not, then you probably will have no reasion to blurt it, and thus, your drunken mind wont.

Second, when you walk out, do you stop yourself from acting a certien way, i.e. hand over your heart, hips waveing, e.c.t.? If so, then you probably wont stop yourself from doing whatever it is if your drunk. but if your just afraid of blurting it vurbaly, see the first.

Third, if you do blurt it, Accept your freind's reaction instead of Expect. If they dont like it, apologize and walk out. If they dont care, then you shouldnt care either.

Finnaly, there drunk, so they may not remember it anyway.

Hope for the best! ...and please take a bus or something instead of driving after the party.

3. CrimsonThunder

wooo getting drunk! one of the best things in life. =P

I doubt anything will happen when you're drunk, I turn into a bit of a slut when I'm drunk though. Everyone reacts differently too it. some people get angry some people turn quiet some people get emotional.

4. davo-man

Yeah, as Tom said, everyone reacts differently....in fact right now Ive just come back from my 18th so im not completely sober (dont worry mods, im not gunna do anything outrageous or against rules....im not condoning drinking for underagers...) anyway, i react by dancing and singing incredibly loudly and telling everyone that i love them. Also, i do everything i have planned on doing previously...For instance, i had been planning to come out to one of my best friends, and then it just came out...so yes it can happen when you're drunk....but i had been plannning on it so it doesnt really count, plus im still able to censor myself...For instance, tonight, Matt and Marco were sexy dancing around me and pretending to take off their pants (in fact Matt's top actually did come off) but i was able to still put on my "not interested" face

To sum up, if you dont wanna risk it, you can always stick to soft drinks, but it is unlikely that you will let slip something (though it is possible)...As long as you're sensible about drinking, and dont go overboard, i dont think you will have a problem.

5. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

ive only been very drunk a couple of times and even in those cases i was able to remain very careful about blurting things out. a girl i know jokingly asked me if i was gay and i didn't falter to say no when she asked. in general im going to try not to drink until i get older just because the less you drink at a young age the less risk you have of alcoholism later in life

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been drunk many times and I don't remember saying anything I really regret. Granted there's a couple nights here or there that I don't remember, but that's besides the point. The only times I said anything "gay" was to people I knew were gay, and they didn't even notice. But normally everyone's standards are lowered when there's alcohol involved, so chances are you can get away with things you wouldn't normally do.

While I'm not a big fan of underage drinking, I recommend you try to keep your drinking to a minimum. Don't have any more that a couple drinks. Avoid shots, drinking games, etc. Try to nurse each drink for as long as you can, and if it's something like rum and coke, intersperse it with drinks of just coke.

Getting really plastered isn't that much fun. It's funner to have a bit of a buzz, and still be in control. Since you're inexperienced with alcohol, it's better to work your way up slowly, so you can find out how much you can handle.

7. Sam

Sam

well I came out to my best friend when I was drunk so..... I can't really help you I think if you really concentrate on being careful about what you say then you might not say something you don't want to say. when you drink the more you drink the more you ramble about things you talk and talk and won't shut up. now with temptations like the crush you have I would be really careful because in your drunken state you just might try something with him without thinking so all I can say is maybe drink enough to get a buzz but not to get to the point where you won't shut up or where you will try something with your crush.

8. Vampyrecat

Ahhh the drunkeness....
    I'm never getting drunk again.
    I'm a shocking drinker. What a normal person would take to get drunk (say...8 drinks?) would kill me. I'm drunk after the first drink.
    Getting smashed isn't fun. Vomiting, passing out... And I kinda blurted it out to half the guys in my class that i'm a lesbian, but hey, what's done is done. People don't usually remember half the night if they get drunk enough.
    My advice to you is, stick to one drink per hour. That way, your body can cope with the alcohol and get it through your system. If you binge (Like what I did on several occaisions) then you're more likely to become so out of it that anything could happen.
    Hope this helps mate *hugs*

9. CrimsonThunder

omg I'd love to get drunk with you vampy lol.

10. Vampyrecat

Lol, I'll meet you at adelaide then, one day

11. Bryan

Just be careful and know your limits. I am bigger and have a higher tolerance to booze, so I can have a little more to drink than the average person and be fine. If you havent been drunk before here are a few tips: know your limits, if you start to feel effects stop- drunk vomiting sucks, Dont have more than 5 drinks, i the US this lis legally binge drinking (i.e.: 5 beers, 5 shots, 5 cosmos, you get the gist), be careful, and swear in your next post that you wont get behind the wheel after you touch a bottle. But remember, if you are so S***faced that you say something and your friends are too they wont remember. Have a good time and be safe.

12. CrimsonThunder

Mars bar. :wink:

13. Vampyrecat

Where's that?
    Is it eatable? (edible)

14. William1

I've never been drunk, but someone once let me drink some of his beer, about a year ago, and I just went to sleep (like in the middle of the day) so I don't think being drunk is going to be fun. :eek:

15. CrimsonThunder

Theres lots you can eat there, most of it sour tho. >_>

16. GoBabyGoGo

Yeah, thanks guys so much for the advice! And no i won't be driving, im staying overnight and so is everyone else there [should be interesting, lol] So... i guess i won't worry bout it too much then, and just take it easy-- im not planning on getting totally smashed!

17. CrimsonThunder

Ohhh man... I so want to PARTY right now.

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Goodness, I think if I had never had any alcohol, I would definitely not have as a many drinks as one per hour! Like maybe 3 over the course of the night total?

Something to remember is that just when you're beginning to feel buzzed is usually a good time to stop drinking, especially if you're inexperienced, because what most people do, whether they're used to drinking or not, is decide when they start feeling buzzed that okay, they want that to continue, but of course alcohol takes some time to fully effect you, so if you keep drinking once buzzed (which is relatively easy if you're not really paying attention because of course your judgment is somewhat impaired) you can easily, easily overdrink.

So if you're going to drink for the first time, it's a way better to underdrink than to risk overdrinking.

Usually when you haven't had any alcohol ever (or in a long time) it takes far less to "feel it." So even if you're not "feeling it" when you think you should, wait half an hour more to see if it, effectively, catches up to you.

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uhm... it's not like people lose control over themselves in the way you're describing just from having a few drinks. Alcohol LOOSENS one's inhibitions... it doesn't obliterate them.

As people have said, yes, you are less likely to refrain from saying things when intoxicated but you are not actually going to be incapable of exercising any self-control at all--you do remain you, as a general rule. You can just become a really friendly you, or a really bossy you, or a really angry you... things get magnified. You can become a very withdrawn you, too.

Also, don't be surprised if you don't notice anything particularly different. Sometimes nothing much happens (unless you imbide a huge amount) and sometimes it sneaks up on you, too.

But super-good you're not thinking about driving. Drinking and driving is just so... well, it endangers you and who knows how many others and it's totally unnecessary.

But back to alcohol... another thing people often overlook is that how you react to it can depend a lot on how you intend to react to it... like sometimes people basically talk themselves into being drunk ("oh I'm sooooooo drunk") or being a certain way when drunk ("oh I'm such a slut when I drink!"). Then they get to thinking that alcohol MAKES them one way or another when really it's more like they give themselves permission to be that way when they're drinking/drunk.

Anyway, yes... your judgment and control gets impaired, not obliterated. You will still stay you... and you should still take responsibility for what you say and do.

20. hideinyourshel

I know I'm quite young and therefore inexperienced in the art that is drinking, but I do know that some people react differently to drink - my best friend gets pretty violent after even just one drink (not seriously violent, but he is so peaceful usually,) and another (older, I must add,) friend came out to me whilst drunk. The conversation went something like this:

So... I'd be careful, especially if you don't know what your limits are! (which I don't, so I'm not planning to get drunk any time soon.)

And one other point, I read somewhere that greasy foods line your stomach and slow down the rate of alcohol absorption, so you should have a sausage or glass of milk or something before the party so you don't get too drunk too quickly! And drink lots of water, that helps.