1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer Eye for the Queer Guy?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chad, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Chad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I noticed I have been spending a lot of time thinking on my appearance lately. I don't want to be "Metro" I want to be normal(Kinda funny to hear from a queer). Although I do wax my eyebrows, shop at Express(I love Express), use three different creames on my face when I get out of the shower so as to prevent an acne breakout. I care how people see me and I want to look my best. I have come to terms with my sexuality I guess it's time to come to terms with my Fashionality(lolwut?).

I'll put up some pics in my profile when I get home so you can tell me if you think I'm metro or not. I have always said no, and the more I think about it I think I would fit the term.

I am gay, I like men, and I want to attract men. I'm not feminine but I'm not overly masculine either I'm just your average everyday 23 year old slim built guy. I just want to look and feel like a good looking guy. I enjoy nice clothes that make me look good and I enjoy when people notice me.

At the same tim,e I have about as much fashion sense as the guy that asks for change on the highway I take to get home from work.

Where can I get good ideas for a good appearance? I have checked out GQ but it all seems unreal the way they dress. I want to be the quintessential good looking and well dressed guy, but I don't want to over do it like I see so many do.

I need a fashion sense... HALP!

2. guacj

I too share your affection for express, and I also wax my eyebrows. I think the best way to gauge your fashion sense is to just observe people in your surroundings and when you see someone wearing something you like try and replicate that yourself. Also the people at Express can be very helpful. It also doesnt hurt to have a few good girl friends. They love to shop with the gays!

3. HackmanWIU

I noticed that I now like certain styles that I would not have bothered with when I was closeted, also I have a need to want to style my hair too!

4. Emberstone

I am so tempted to cut my hair and style it. Right now, it is just down below my shoulders. I keep wondering how I could best advertise I am gay, because I fell like I am not living up to the stereotype, even though I hate stereotyping. I sometimes wonder that because I dont look like what a people often assume a gay person would look like, that I might miss out striking up friendships with other gay people who, who knows, I might find more of a relationship with.

5. paco

paco Guest

this is easy, go shopping with girls and just let them have their fun.

i'd say go for colors that naturally compliment your hair, eyes, or skin color. and i sometimes imagine little color themes when i'm picking out what to wear for the day. and if you want to look stylish, clothes that fit right are good, not too tight to leave a little to the imagination, but definitely not baggy because you want to be able to give people a hint of what to imagine.

6. kramer362

I find myself much less concerned with 'style' and much more focused on finding clothes that actually fit me, and maybe certain colors that I'm told complement my features, etc. As far as style goes I just buy stuff I like- even if it's just crappy tshirts.

That type of stuff is how your clothes can make you more attractive in my opinion..

7. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like what I like.

I don't do anything besides showering and brushing my teeth. I guess I'm not living the stereotype.

But who cares? I think I can find any guy.

8. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in the same situation as you, though I don't really do much other than shower every day and brush my teeth... I'm not obscenely fat, but i'm not skinny either, so it's hard to find really nice fitting clothes. I get so embarassed when I shop for clothes cause I have no idea what i'm doing or what looks good on me. and then because i'm embarassed I end up buying practically nothing and then feeling bad about myself...

9. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ Same here

There's a ton of clothing I want to buy, but I can't wear them with my weight. I know what looks only good on thin guys, and the clothing I like look only good on thin guys. So I am saving my money to go on a big splurge when I do lose a lot of weight. My clothing is basically conservative, and boring, and blah. They all look the same.

I just check out Express, that doesn't scream gay to me. It just seem normal for the average 27 year old guy. Metro sexual though, but not gay gay.

If I had a hot body, I would wear some of the craziest things. (that should probably remain on the run way)

10. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally know what you mean Andomeda, it's so easy to find really great looking clothes on thin guys but if you're not skinny, you have to go out of your way to find things that will hide just the right places, it gets annoying.

11. UserName

From looking at your pictures I don't think there is anything really too wrong with your fashion sense; I dress somewhat in the same way..Hollister, Express, Polo, Abercrombie, Banana Republic, etc. I mean I thought about dressing "gayer" but this is the kind of clothes I enjoy wearing, polos and dress shirts, shirts, etc. if anything I may just wear brighter colors or something - but yea take some girls with you, they'll help you out I'm sure. Or you could wear V Necks lol, I think those are stereotypically gay

12. RaeofLite

Lovely. Now some guys know what it's like to be a girl. Now, imagine dressing feminine and showing shoulder, hips, abs, and short legs...

13. MissNomer

MissNomer Guest

What are these "abs" you speak of...

14. Doreibo

It is normal to want to look normal. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just do what you want, and throw caution to the wind. If you like it, go for it! Just be yourself.

Don't worry! Be Happy!

15. Chad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ewww........

16. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha, V necks are slowly becoming common place, atleast here in Boston... the Hipsters wear them, it's more of a hipster thing... Just dont wear super low v necks, if you get a normal v neck, it can look really hot and define your neck really nicely.

17. Jim1454

^ My bf and I both have a few v neck sweaters, I don't think they're 'ewww' at all. They look great with a sports shirt or even a dress shirt underneath them. If you're wearing a shirt underneath, a v neck looks better than a round neck in my opinion. The shirt collar can sit more naturally.

(Listen to me, like I'm some kind of fashionista or something!)

My ex wife was always the one I turned to for fashion advice, and now my bf. But I'm slowing developing my own sense of what I like to wear, and I think I look pretty good. It's more about the budget than anything. I could spend tons of money on clothes if I had it to spend!

18. pteen

I really can't say anything to help you cause im not too far above ur position. But thanks to everyone else and paco i'll try that next.:thumbsup:

19. Chad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh as a side-note on on the topic of fashion I bought the coolest rainbow bracelet... It's pretty much the most awesome bracelet ever.

20. Silvermark

I dress the same as ever after coming out. Saying that though, I have wanted to style my hair for a while, but I never have the time or dedication to look after my hair like that... I'm like the complete opposite of the gay / bi stereotype.
    Then again, I wanted to style my hair when I thought I was straight... So who knows...

I'm like the most straight looking guy I know. The one guy I know who is gay is really camp and obvious about it. -Sigh- I wish I knew more gay / bi guys...

Oh! And I'm getting an awesome rainbow-stud bracelet for christmas. It's like the only thing that'll be obvious about me not being straight.