1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TroubledRyan, Dec 2, 2009.

1. TroubledRyan

Ok,I have just kind of learned somthing in phycology...
    ok,So we gave presentations,and this girl did one on homesexual/homphobia/disgust.
    And what she said in it I didn't find to disturbing,because I kind of already figured all that myself(she talked about how elderly do not like gays.but girls or more socialy acceptable,amoung teens,and gay guys are not that accepted,again that is not what botherd me so much)
    What botherd me was that she told two stories afterword...
    Her gay friend,who is very flamboent, got pulled over by a cop...I gess the cop was homophobic,and can esally tell he was gay,he told the gay man he was drunk(he wasn't) so the gay guy wanted to press charges,the cop got him out of his car,and beat him to a pulp...the guy guy started seizing and the cop just said look at the queer shake...and I was disgusted by this...(and she nearly cryed telling the story,since it was her friend)
    Then the teacher told another story,maybe you heard of this one,Ok,well there was a gay guy at a gay bar(I beleave in tennessie).But some straight guys went into the bar,draged him out,tied him to the end of there truck...and went for a drive,after that,I suspose he wasn't dead,but they stripped him naked,and tied him to a fence post at night in -40 degree temperature...he died
    But this put me in ALOT of thought,is it really that dangerious to be a gay guy/girl?!

2. -Michael-

It's dangerous to be anything in this world.

There's always someone who's going to hate to.

Best not to dwell on it,

3. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I heard of the second story....

not sure who it is

It's dangerous I guess, but it's dangerous to be anything. I don't let horror stories bother me though.

4. TroubledRyan

It's extreamly scary how people react to the stupidest things that in no way include them...amazingly stupid...

5. donnie5

learn to fight!! no i'm serious learn some self defense it will make you feel better if oyu get paranoid about that kind of thing. or get some mace i have mace but i've never got to use it yet IT SUCKS!!!

6. Phantasma

If I'm remembering correctly, the second story is about Matthew Shepard.

7. TroubledRyan

rofl...I'am not scared to fight,I will if I have to,but I'am passive,nd preffer talking befor fighting...
    nd I'am not really scared,just extreamly distubed

8. TroubledRyan

Yeah,that was his name!
    my phyc teacher said it was matthew somthing =)

9. KnightAssassin

i heard of these younger so i went to martial arts and well it is best to learn to fight and get alot of friends who will stick with you and stand beside you in a fight , mostly though learn to read people i mean you are in a psychology class so just stick there a little while and learn how to tell people true emotions through there movements and you will learn to stay one step ahead of those mother f(_)ckers and turn them in ........

10. Doreibo

Matt is kinda right. I know a few martial arts for self defence purposes only. Also as said before, life itself is dangerous. Always people who beat up on others for the most retarted reasons. And that is what they are. Retarted. Any non factually based or unreasonable hatred or such is just plain. . .retarted. I use that word commonly, not in an insulting sense but in a way that it is completely baffling and stupid. . .ugh. . .political incorrectness. . .Any way. Your context determines whether or not you are the one people will hate or how you go about solving these problems. Thankfully in some places, such as Sydney, homosexuality is becoming more accepted and over time I'm sure it will be so over there. The socially and educationally ignorant will always hate which is often the case for groups such as the KKK or radical religious groups are born. If people do not understand the damage that they create, the reasons why they do such things or why such things exist, or pretty much they are just plain retarted, they will always find something to hate. As said before, don't get too hooked up on it, and even though it is disturbing, like so many other things in the world, it isn't something to worry about too much. If you need any advice or just wanna talk, I'm here for you.

11. Camman3

On a side note, I go to gym and am trying to get bigger for many reasons, including being strong enough to defend myself should I ever need to.

And yes - it's terrible how prejudice can too easlily lead to judgement and resentment... People in this world need to get a clue, however, dwelling on it can't do any good. Either find something to do that will ease your mind (learn martial arts/gym etc) or stop worrying about it completely. If you're already doing something about it, then there's not much more you can do, unfortunately...

12. Jim1454

I would add that you can also keep educating people about what it means to be homosexual, just like the person in the psych class did. Just keep coming out to people and keep helping them to realize that it really isn't that big a deal to be gay.

13. xequar

Exactly. Fearing getting beaten up for being gay is in the same realm as fearing a car crash. Yes, it can happen, but the odds are really against it. A person can spend his entire life in fear, fear of what could be, and by doing so he fails to take advantage of what is and fails to realize what else could be. The gun-toting conservative that talks a big game and twitches every time he hears an errant noise lives in fear of what could be. The elderly shut-in who refuses to go outside because the world's changed over the years lives in fear of what could be. The person who stops cycling after getting hit by a car because he's worried about it happening again lives in fear of what could be.

As I always say, "If you're not gonna live life, then what's the point?" You can't stop living your life or being who you are because there's a minute chance that some whacko fucktard will beat you up. That's what those whacko fucktards want, is for you to stop being you, and if you sit around worried about them for your entire life, they've hurt you a great deal, even if they never lay a finger on you.

I think a friend of mine at University put it best: "Each day I wake up, I beat my previous record for number of consecutive days I've been alive." Life is too special, and too short, to spend it hiding who you are and living in fear of what could be.

14. RaeofLite

Matthew Sheppard. His story was on the Ellen show. :frowning2: Seriously sad. I had tears in my eyes hearing it. But they found him on the fence post with a female doe (a deer) sitting near him so his mom had hope that he didn't die alone...

But this is why we need to educate people so things like this stop. We need to stop the bigotry and unnecessary hate.

15. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a screenplay of the story of Matthew Sheppard, forget the name, but my highschool did it last year... I love massachusetts ha ha.

16. TroubledRyan

hmmm,what a bummer,and I really do realize its so rare,but it's also so dumb,it's very very stupid how people cana ct so clueless

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's sad so many gay youth don't know much about Matthew Sheppard.

Here's a link to part one of his story/the movie made based around him: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQuUqyg_3o[/YOUTUBE]

18. paint

The Laramie Project I believe.

19. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep that's the one!It was a really great play!

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't seen it. I've only so far seen the YouTube video I posted when it comes to Matthew Sheppard. However, I am very good at researching things a lot, and I know a lot about him. Including about the new Matthew Sheppard bill that's now in effect.