1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geyducation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chad, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Chad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I'm looking to fully understand this phenomenon that is homosexuality. As such I've been reading anything I can get my hands onto so as to be prepared for that inevitable homophobe who thinks he can win in a battle of words. I've been reading a lot on the Stonewall Riots, Matthew Shephard, and Religion(Not just the one either). I'm looking for some suggestion if anyone has any so that I may improve my knowledge base and be better prepared to defend my sexuality.

I feel confident in my ability now but I'm thinking bigger scope I want to start to tackle the big time homophobes in my life and I want all the ammo I can get my mind to remember.

~Thanks,
    Chad

2. kettleoffish

Great idea, I don't really know of anything to help, sadly, but I'd be quite interested, fascinated even perhaps, to learn more about this sort of thing too.. Maybe, if you don't mind, it might be an idea to open this thread up to the whole community so we can better educate ourselves?

3. Jim1454

Someone posted this link that provides an awesome interpretation of homosexuality and the bible. It's really long, but it's a really well organized article.

http://www.godmademegay.com/Letter.htm

Personally, I just speak from the heart. Because the fact is, YOU are gay and THEY are not, so who are THEY to tell YOU how you should feel, and how you ended up this way.

Anyone who isn't willing to listen or learn from you isn't worth your breath.

4. Gaetan

I have had a few brushes with someone I know online who turns out to be as religious right wing on the issue of homosexuality as can be. (He found "For the Bible Tells me So" very offensive, if he even watched it...)

I know that, whatever it is I say, I will never be able to change his opinion on this. All I hope to achieve with him is for him to understand our position. Because, maybe through his understanding of our situation, he will change his opinion on his own. That is all I hope for.

5. Chad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand your point but the reason I I'm seeking this information is two fold. I'll be more educated on the history of homosexuality and when needed I will have the ammo to fight back. Everytime I see Leviticus 18:22 quoted I want to ask the person if they have ever read Leviticus for themself, I want to know if they feel the same way about people who eat shrimp or plant two seeds in the same hole. I want to know if they think they are also abominations. I want to know how many times homosexuality is brought up in the fairy tale they call the "Bible" the word of god that waws written by man. I know the answers but I want to see if they do I want to see how educated they are. I know it's not the right approach but it's my approach I want to fight fire with fire... If you want to start throwing psudo-facts at me and citing information I want the answers to shoot right back and put the ball back in their court.

6. UserName

Read Philosophy books on ethics and contemporary moral issues, etc. I learned so much from taking both of those classes that from thereon when I was closeted I didn't "hate" on gays, I actually gave my real opinion on the subject because I was smarter then them on the subject. Philosophy classes and books really sharpen your mind to such matters - that's my recommendation.

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

One of the issues with the study of psychology is the issue of now knowing how the brain works, how our environments affect is totally, and not knowing our own complete genetic code (yet).

Any theory done so far on homosexuality is just that; theory. It is not proven, and can not be until we both learn more about our genetic code, environmental factors in the "nature vs nurture" debate, and psychology and how our brain works as a whole.

Although debating interpretation of the bible in relation with homosexuality is a completely different topic. The issue with this is that it is completely subjective and everyone will have a different view on the topic.

8. Greggers

Well, i found watching all of the Queer as Folk series not only enjoyable and very sexy, but educational. It gave me a good understanding of alot of issues and let me into the mind of other types of gay people, thats always important.

Also, For the Bible tells me so (http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showpost.php?p=444011&postcount=10) gave me alot of help on the religious end. Most of what i know about homosexuality and Christianity though is through my own research.

There are also alot of good videos on youtube to help you prepare to defend yourself. Many can be found in this thread: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22056

As for history of homosexuality, I have been wanting to do that myself. My school does not offer any courses like that, but i know some do. I guess the internet is the best way.

9. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the end you can't argue with a bigot: they're too stubborn.

10. Chad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But I can make them look stupid... in my eye's at least. Then again if your a bigor I do think your stupid, well ignorant at least.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not exactly on point with talking to bigots, but another poster recently talked about reading the excellent book "And The Band Played On" by Randy Shilts. The book is a very detailed and complete history of the dawning of the AIDS era, all the misfires and misfortunes and discrimination that happened, and provides a good sense of what it was like being a gay man in the 80s during the AIDS crisis.

If you want to understand yourself and other gay men better from a social and psychological perspective, I absolutely recommend "10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" by Joe Kort (a very misleading title), possibly the best book out there on gay men and how they approach relationships and interactions with others.

13. Chad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for all the suggestions... I have a lot of homework to do!

14. kramer362

Well 2 of the big ones I've heard (though not personally) that are easy to refute without actually quoting the bible are...

a) it's not natural. This is where you say that it actually is natural, since it occurs in nature... there is homosexuality present in almost every species of animal recorded.

b) God created Adam and Even, not Adam and Steve! Ok, this one uses biblical reference, but one thing I ALWAYS think of when people say this is hermaphrodites/intersexuality. I wanna slap these people who are completely disregarding this extreme minority. These are people with physical evidence that gender and sex is not clearly defined as one or the other. If God doesn't make mistakes, then intersexed infants weren't a mistake. But then gender can't be clearly defined in this case. I suppose the would refer more to the transgendered but couldn't homosexuality just be in a way transgenderedism of the sexual mind?

Of course in case B, the fundamental religious person tends to be too afraid to challenge their beliefs even with physical evidence present, so they'll sweep reason under the rug and crawl back into their safe little ignorant world :bang:

15. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've found that those who are bigoted are not ones who listen to reason.

[​IMG]