1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Biggest Decision of My Life

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoBabyGoGo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. GoBabyGoGo

*WARNING: Long

So I’m not really asking for a lot of help. I know just writing all this down will help me. And I know that I am the only one who can make this decision. But if you have the patience to read this, any insights/comments/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I am faced with the decision of what career path to follow, and what university to choose. But there are many factors that I must take into consideration – health, social life, memories and experience, job prospects, my skills and interests, etc...

So I’m going to try to list all the pros and cons for each option. As far as I see it, and have decided so far, there are only two options, and I am confident that I will be able to get in to either one.

------------------------------------------------

OPTION ONE:
    Sydney College of Art
    Pros:

• The highest quality and most dedicated education in visual arts. The institution has high credibility within the competitive artworld, and would look after me in terms of finding a job.
    • I am both interested in visual arts and have talent in that area. A couple of the lecturers as well as my art teacher say ‘don’t waste your talent anywhere else!’
    • I am sure I would meet some very interesting people and make some close friends (Maybe there would be more gay guys in the visual arts field? Maybe artsy people are generally quieter, more thoughtful, mature people like me?)
    Cons:
    • Very busy lifestyle:
    o A very dedicated course; requires about 5 days per week at the institution, compared to a lot of other degrees which require about 3 -4 days.
    o It is very expensive to live in Sydney. I would have to work very hard in a lot of my spare time to have enough money to live, even poorly.
    o I would spend a fair amount of time on public transport depending on where I am able to find a place to live and work.
    • The artworld is very competitive and it may be very difficult to find a stable or decently paying job, especially during harsh economic times.
    • A more limited social life (a bit isolated):
    o Less free time
    o More difficult to mix with and meet others apart from those doing the same art course (about 150 students)
    o Less facilities available due to the small size of the institution, i.e. no cheap uni pool, gym
    o Less leisure activities, i.e. very few special interest groups / societies, no nearby glbt group that I can find
    o Students may be more committed to their work, absorbed in what they are individually doing, or too busy to go out, etc
    • I find that city people are generally less friendly, it is harder to get to know them, and there is a lot more shallowness / competition. A city lifestyle is also driven more by sex, consumerism and materialism than in less populated areas, as well as there being more drugs, violence, etc

OPTION TWO:
    University of Wollongong
    Pros:

• Able to live on campus:
    o Meet many people who live very close by
    o Not have to spend time cooking for myself
    • Beautiful campus!:
    o Relaxed atmosphere, near the beach as well as rainforests, etc
    o Great facilities, e.g. gym, pool, library (I would be able to lead a fitter, more healthy life)
    • Attend many social events, e.g. mad uni parties, fun days, uni night, etc as well as groups and societies, e.g. an awesome glbt group with regular social events (I think I’d more easily find a boyfriend)
    • I could explore science or graphic design, both of which I am reasonably talented and interested in – and easier to find jobs in those areas
    • Very good teaching quality and student satisfaction – ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world!
    • Closer to home
    • Able to ‘feel my way’ more, by being at a uni which consists of many faculties and meeting people from different faculties
    Cons:
    • Not being able to fully pursue visual arts (the visual arts faculty there is NOT quality, I have heard from a number of sources, as well as my own observations. It has a very traditional approach and does not have a high credibility in the competitive artworld)

------------------------------------------------------

So summing up, I’m choosing between lifestyle and education. I guess I just can’t have it all! Which is a higher priority?

But I have been feeling so isolated and lonely throughout my life. I want to get out, be a part of things, and meet lots of interesting people! I want to lead a healthy, happy lifestyle! I want to do a lot of the things I missed out on doing in my teenage years, partying, drinking, and doing stupid things for the sake of doing them. I don’t know if I’m ready to fully dedicate myself to art.

But then again, I feel as though art is more my direction. It’s more ‘me’. I guess I’ll enjoy doing the dedicated course? Am I really as talented as people say I am?

And maybe it doesn’t matter. There is not much between these two options. I would probably be very happy with either. Should I flip a coin? Maybe I could just start out into one and change if I don’t like it. But I might be always wondering what my life would be like if I chose the other. *sigh*

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, so I skimmed the thing but I have been in this situation before. I go to school for graphic design. My first year of college, I went to a different school, it was a state school with more than just art classes. It was AWFUL. If you're seriously into visual art (also, what field are you going into? it's important) then I'd say go to the art school. I found that the kids I go to school with now are both more accepting of everything, and much more interesting to talk to. Chances are if they're willing to pay to live there and go to school there and devote all their time to one thing, they will enjoy it much more. At my first college, there were a lot of people who went there just because their parents told them to go, it doesnt make for very interesting conversation and the social life was difficult because you were expected to chase after women. It was like the only way I was going to make friends and I refused to do it for obvious reasons.

3. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, you should always go for education. That's what you are going to school for. There will always be a great lifestyle no matter what you do. Just because you're working on school work all the time doesnt mean you wont meet people. you'll meet people in your major and you'll do work WITH them. It's a real bonding experience if you work on a project and help eachother!~

4. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What do you want in life?

If I had to make your decision though I would go with the second just because it's a decent university, and it's cheaper.

If you are as talented as you say you are, then you'll find something in life no matter where it is at. And if you question if you will not dedicate yourself to art, then just forget number 1.

I would only go to 1 if I knew deep in my heart I need to be there, and it was the only place, and if I am going to be completely serious to the arts because I am paying so much for it.

5. Greggers

If you want your life to be Art, go to the Art school.

Trust me.

I was going to try and get into Graphic Design / Animation / Ect. and i went to my local University instead of the expensive specialized art school.

That killed my dream.

Now im going to try and become a Writer, because the graphics thing means i need to go to a different school, and two years into Uni, i dont want to re-start.

6. olides84

I'd say that if you aren't 100% dedicated and sure that you want to work in the visual arts field and go through that program, then choose option 2. There are some people who know what they want to do at 18. Then there's the other 95% of us :wink:

Option 2 allows you to explore areas of interest besides visual arts at a top university, and it's combined with the social and environmental benefits that are obviously important to you. You are young - live life a bit :slight_smile: And of course, you could always do that/another arts program later I suppose.