1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too young?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsMyBoyfriend, Aug 17, 2007.

1. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

O'k well, I'm 15 and i want to come out to my parents but i was wondering is 15 too young?

2. CrimsonThunder

Hell no, but you could expect the whole 'you're young and confused' saying. cute avatar btw. ^.^

3. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Yeah that's exactly what i'm afraid of.
    Oh and thanks, i'm really just a childish person!

4. CrimsonThunder

Just try to be mature and that'll prove that you know what your talking about. (being childish myself I know how hard it is. :grin:)

5. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Yeah i'll try to do it before my family go away for 2 days leaving me with my aunt (fun!)

6. DJ Sweetz

Yeah, Tom's right... They might end up telling you that you're just "young and confused," trust me, I've been through that talk with my sister when I told her.
    ooooo! and your avatar is cute!

7. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Wow i have a popular avatar lol

8. Bryan

If you can come out to your parents at that age, that is really amazing, it isnt too young. I am 16 and just came out to my parents. I got that alot too (still am), but I just keep assuring them that if I was not 100% sure I wouldnt have said anything. I will take them a while to come around, but they should (unless they are complete homophobes). Before you come out to your parents read some of the things on the web to help you, like HRC's guide to coming out (hrc.org) and out proud (outproud.org). These should help. I also wouldnt come out before they go away, they will need some time to adjust. Anyway, good luck
    -Bryan
    PS- everyone is right, you do have a cute avitar!

9. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    you need to be calm and mature with them. 15 is not to young at all. I am planning on coming out soon too. You just have to be frim and tell them "look this is not a phase, its how i was born and its who I am." Good luck and I love your avatar!

10. I don't think any age is too young as long as you fully grasp the concept of your sexuality...or something -- I came out at fourteen.

But my parents didn't think that I was young and confused; they just thought that I didn't have any girls in my life to "make me straight." Unbeknownst to them, nearly all of my friends were/are girls. Ha...

11. Michiyo

Michiyo Guest

behling got to say what i would have said first .

P.S. good luck ^.^

12. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all too young. I came out to my parents at 15 and it was fine.

13. xequar

Hey, if you can come out at 15, go for it. I waited until 25, and although it saved me some of the crap in high school and whatnot, I think I should have came out earlier...

14. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Once you hit puberty, you are theoretically old enough to come out to your parents, since that's when you start to be sexually attracted to people. If your parents do tell you that it's a phase, or that you are young and confused, tell that that if it was a phase, or if you were young and confused, you wouldn't have the confidence to tell them. Of course, you should remember that they might not tell you any of those things and they might accept it the moment you tell them. If you were very girly as a young child, that makes this scenario more likely.

15. godfather

godfather Guest

i dont think its too young its when your ready that counts!! im only 14 and im out to family!! good luck whatever you do!!:icon_bigg

16. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    hey thenedoftime,
    Salisbury aye... was down there just last week. Grid locked with traffic in the city centre at that! I'm just going to have to agree with what has been said before.. go for it if that's what you want. You say you're out to all but family, so if they can accept you then i can't see any reason why your own family will. Remember though, that you know your family better than the rest of us here, and so only you have a true idea of how they'll react.

Are you an only child, or do you have brothers/sisters? As having other siblings may ease the stress on the whole (we'll never have grand kids) thing. But do be prepared for them to tell you you're young and confused. It's a fact that some 'children' do not know what love is, etc. But at 15 i'm damn sure that if you think you're gay that's what you are. Just be confident, assertive, etc and give them some time to digest it.

At the end of the day... if you're fed up of living a lie, tell them.

Jamie

P.S. - oh and cure avatar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (sorry couldn't help myself)

17. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Yeah i'll have a few days to think about it before they come home so i'll make sure i'm absolutely positive.

18. CrimsonThunder

Why does everyone copy me. *cries*

19. davo-man

I dont think its too young, as long as you are confident in yourself, and in your sexuality. I think it will be fine, and good luck. Im sure you'll do great

Nice avatar btw...

Oh, Tom you're just a little trendsetter aren't you....next thing, everyone will be having animated pokemon as their avatar and having little competetions for their next borfriend....lol hehe...oh well to be fair tho Dave did start the animated avatars

20. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Well, I'm totally :***:

My parents are total homophobes and make fun of gays constantly :tears: