1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't Be Home for Christmas

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Markio, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Markio

Yeah, so I went home for Thanksgiving, and my parents weren't talking to each other again. It was really awkward, and my mom said it had something to do with money problems, as in we're running out of money. So I told her I could stay at school over the holiday break and get paid extra at my job at my college (resident advisor) and not come home. She tentatively said that, if I'm getting paid, then that would be okay.

Since I came back from Thanksgiving, my sister asked me when I was coming home for Christmas. I told her I wasn't, so she called and we talked a little bit (I'm thinking of coming out to her after she leaves home so she won't tell the rest of the family).

Then this morning my mom called and said she made up with dad and wanted to know if I'm coming home. I told her no, and she understood, it's just that my sister called her and wants me to come home, so she was just checking. Now I feel sad. I'm going to stay at college, and it doesn't have to be sad, though.

That's my situation, but what I'm really wondering is if any of you are not going to see your family for the holidays. Or what did you do to make the holidays fun or enjoyable without the familial company?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I guess my situations is a bit different but I won't be able to visit my family for Christmas either. My sister lives in the same city and she is staying over the holidays as well. In addition to spending time with my sister, I have made a few plans with a couple of friends who aren't going home either. We will be getting together just before and over the holidays. The idea is to watch Christmas movies, have a potluck and a gift exchange. Maybe this is something you could do as well?

3. calstad

Im not gonna see my family for Chistmas cause im in Iraq...

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had my way I wouldn’t be home for the holidays. I love this time of year, and I love my family, but there is usually quite a bit of fighting going on because my step father hates the holidays. :dry:

I’d spend the entire time volunteering somewhere, which would be a pretty good way to spend the holidays in my book. But seeing as how I still live at home I’m stuck here.

5. olides84

Luckily I am going to travel to see my family for the holidays, but the few times I couldn't, I just made sure that my free time was filled with activities and friends. Maybe you could find some other students who are also going to hang out at the uni for the holidays, and see if you can do something together on christmas eve and/or christmas day. Like go to dinner, take a trip to the beach, go listen to music, something like that.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I just have a question, where are you going to stay? Don't colleges shut down living spaces for the holidays?

7. lostinthought9

Gah, you read my mind.

But, this is none of my business, but since there's no reason to not go home, why don't you want to? I mean, I have a dysfunctional family too, but I still want to go home for the holidays.

8. littledinosaurs

They shut they down for most people who can and have reason to go home, but some kids (especially exchange students) it would be very expensive and not worth it for them to go home. The same thing happens around Thanksgiving.

9. nomoresickness

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm staying at school too!!! They have a few people stay on-call to work, since we have halls that can't be closed (open apartment halls), international students, etc. Only a few of our halls are open. It won't be great, but it will be stress-free (after recently coming out to my parents) and I get to make money. :slight_smile:

10. Markio

I actually oversee the campus on the days that I'm on duty. I get to stay in the dorms as part of my job. I'm definitely thinking of just decking out the hallway that I live in, because part of my job involves decorations.