1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm coming out to my mother by the end of the week.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andromeda, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to come out by the end of this week to my mom, since I planned on doing this for a few months.

But now that the due date is coming closer, I am kinda worried about her reaction. I just know I can't go back afterwards, and that everything will be change.

I think she will be accepting, but at the same time she will think of me as a stereotype and I don't want her to do that. I am considering of just going out bisexual, but it wouldn't be the exact truth, since I am not.

Does anyone have tips on just saying you're gay, I know it's easy but I have to mentally plan this. I don't want to start off with, "I have something important to tell you blah blah". Since being gay isn't who I am, but just my orientation, I just want to tell her nonchalant. But just blurting out, "I'm gay", seems to put too much emphasis on it which makes it important. I don't want to start talking about guys with her either, I just want her to know, and then move on acting like nothing really change.

---
    And if she does react extremely negative, what should I do? Leave the house?

And I am pretty sure I have to tell my grandma right after, but that's going to be far worse.

#1 Andromeda, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

There are ways you can do it like a letter or such and provide her some reading material. But, come out when you are ready. There is never the right time per se, but you will find a way.

Also, make sure she understands it's not a phase and that you are more then a stereotype.

3. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm writing my parents a letter, maybe you could do something like that if you're more comfortable with it. I'm not a stereotype either so i wanted to make sure i could tell them that without interruption.

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Also do not tell them you are bisexual, that is a slippery path. Plus they have their own stereotypes they face each day.

5. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm turning 18 by the end of the week, that's why it has to be this week since I don't want to start my adult years in a bad way. I am not sure to tell them on my Birthday though, since that's an important day to me. Even if no one else recognizes it, it's like a holiday to me.

I feel like now is the time too, since it's becoming silly to carry this any longer.

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely agree, coming out twice sucks....I came out as bi at first to some friends, then later had to tell them that i'm actually gay an dhave no interest in women.