1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Opportunity of a Lifetime

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Dare2bProud

In early September I got into contact with a Children's Theatre company that use to travel to my town for week residences to audition and perform at the end of the week a Fairy Tale with the students in town. It is a company I have always wanted to work with ever since I was in college and never had the time to. I sent off a tape interview and audition. A month ago he wrote and told me that he had several veterans wanting to return and that he stays faithful to those who have worked with them before and he couldn't offer me a position. Yesterday out of the blue I received a call from him saying he had a position open. Training is three weeks away! I am currently in an apartment lease until June and I have made some long term project commitments around my current city (after I was told he didn't have a opening). Now that he has an opening I really want to go forward with it. I really want to do this, but I just think three weeks is such a short notice, however, I know if I say "no" I will regret it and hurt my chances with this company. What would you do?

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What would I do? I’d go for it! Isn’t the business about getting advancements with out-of-the-blue opportunities like this? I don’t mean just forget about everything and run off to do it, take the time to tell the people you’ve made the long-term commitments with about the opportunity first. Hopefully they’ll be supportive of it, and let you go for your dreams. How far away from your current position is this chance of a lifetime? If all else fails is there any way you could do this while still fulfilling your previous commitments?

And congratulations too! :slight_smile:

3. Dare2bProud

This opportunity will move me out of my current residence, my stuff will be stored at my parents and the job travels a few different states.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, is that something you’d feel alright doing? I’d still go for it personally, opportunities like this are rare, or so I’ve heard.

5. Dare2bProud

Oh yeah, I'm excited about it. Its kind of an awkward time of the year with the winter weather and such ... not a opportune time to move.

6. Jim1454

Pfft! Do you have suede furniture?!? Mohogany tables? Ming vases?

Go for it! It sounds like an amazing opportunity with an employer that is loyal and fair. It's right up your alley, and you're currently HATING your current job. Figure out a way to make it work.

7. mmilam75

^^ This. Seriously, as a performer, you have to take opportunities where they come. This seems like a door is opening, and you don't know when, or if, something like this might come along again. Find a way to make it work, and I am fairly certain you will not regret it.

8. Dare2bProud

I think I will take the job, but I am very nervous and scared!! I've never done anything like this before. I have never drove longer than 4 hours ... lol MN from my home town is 10 hours away!! That's a long drive. :astonished:( It should be an adventure though, right?

9. olides84

Hey just sharing a story. I drove alone in winter across the US (California to Washington DC) for a job that I was offered out of university. But just before I left, there was some dispute as to whether the job actually would be available when I got there. So I was quite nervous and stressed, never having driven that far, going to a place I didn't know and had no friends, unsure of my future. But yeah, I just saw it as my first great adult 'adventure'. What did help is that I got assurances from my parents that if all went to hell, I could come home to 'recover' as they put it.

I'm glad you are looking to do this. I believe that making big decisions that take you out of your comfort zone are some of the most rewarding and enriching.

10. Dare2bProud

I took the job! Thanks everyone for your support! :astonished:)

11. olides84

Major props :eusa_clap Congrats!

12. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! Congratulations and best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

13. s5m1

Congratulations! It sounds like a great opportunity. At least you will never look back and wonder, "what if?"

14. mmilam75

Congratulations! Here's hoping things go well! :eusa_clap

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd go for it no matter what. I want that same opportunity, so good luck!

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Is this Missoula Children's Theatre? They come to my town every year. My nephew has participated. They are great with kids!

17. Dare2bProud

Gosh. I'm getting too anxious. I am hating the hotel even more now that I know I am officially leaving. Putting in your two weeks and staying on board for those two weeks is hell! lol Sheesh. Good things come to those who wait though? right? lol

18. Mister Gaga

Right! But just try to leave your stress behind you, you are a performer after all, try to see the good side of this thing, you'll live your dream, isn't that enough?

Get ready as good as you can, positive attitude okay?

I forgot to congratulate you for that =)

Wish you the best luck, keep us informed :wink:

19. Jim1454

Congratulations! What an adventure indeed! I really hope it all works out for you!