1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cancelling my housing contract at University (warning, long)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by paco, Dec 9, 2009.

1. paco

paco Guest

well, i'm trying to cancel my housing, which is difficult because it means that my school would have to refund me a lot of money so i have to convince them that it's completely necessary because otherwise they will just put me in a new room. most of the time people are only let out of their contracts for financial reasons, but i don't have the financial problems that they require, so i have to argue my way out.

so i've written a letter to the person in charge of that policy
    just wondering if it sounds strong enough, or if there are things i should add or remove. thanks :slight_smile: (&&&)

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it sounds pretty good. You clearly state what it is that is motivating you to leave the campus housing, and provide adequate evidence of your troubles with your suitemates. I think you did a good job on it overall. :thumbsup:

I don't know if the last part about helping a friend move is necessary, but I don't think you should cut it out either.

3. lurvcurvs

your situation is difficult and requires being careful in how you handle it. i think the letter looks great. good luck to you.

4. HackmanWIU

I don't know anyone who could have composed it better, to be honest.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck and keep us informed.

6. AtomicCafe

Good luck!!! I'm having the same problems and am trying to get out of housing as well. Let us know how it works out for you!

7. paco

paco Guest

well i called my dad and he wants to talk to the guy first. he's got some financial hold in the situation as well so it's not like i'm running to daddy for help. he told me not to send the letter yet though, but hopefully i won't have to.

cause even if i don't have to actually use it, at least i got my thoughts down.

8. Astaroth

Personally, I would cut out the last bit about the guy moving in from out of state that you really want to room with. While I have no issue with that, obviously, I think that it will give the people reading the letter a reason to get snooty. It's not their fault that you sort of promised to room with someone else and may not be able to fulfill that part of the bargain, and they may very well raise that as a point of contention. The letter should focus on the current situation, not your future plans.

But that's just me. The rest was excellent.

9. Hey Paul!

I think your letter sounds really good. My only criticism is this little bit:

You even mention that it doesn't do much for your case. I think it actually weakens your argument because it makes it seem like you're grasping at straws. I'd highly recommend taking it out.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes. (*hug*)

10. olides84

I agree with the last two posters. If you do end up sending this, leave the last part out. To me, that just shows ulterior motive that has nothing to do with the housing situation at your university.

Good luck. I so much hope this works out for you, and for that unknown friend in New York :grin:

11. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not just tell them you can't afford it financially and will be staying with a local relative?

That's what I'd do.

12. paco

paco Guest

if there is a financial hardship, they don't just take your word on it. they ask for proof. and since i don't have that i'd have to fake it and that could get me into a lot of trouble.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it is a good cancellation notice. However, I would agree with others on this part:

Although you are making strong points, having this part in there, could actually diminish the importance of the other points, as the administrators (or who ever reads it) might interpret that to be the reason why you want to move out. I would definitely remove that part. :slight_smile:

Reading through your letter, I have made some changes and grouped some of your points together. Feel free to accept or reject them! :slight_smile:

*maybe explain 'any' here. Is it the pride community or the campus community in general? The more specific you are, the stronger your cancellation letter will be. :slight_smile:

But good letter though. Good luck! Hopefully they will grant you the cancellation.

14. paco

paco Guest

thanks, your edited version does sound really good actually. i've always been able to write out my thoughts, but i have also always had a problem with organization.

as for the 'any' explanation, i guess i could mention that my semi-hidden life structure has made it difficult to bond with the entire community including PRIDE because i'm so used to keeping people at arms length that i have trouble letting anyone through.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The letter is excellent, but I agree with the others about removing the last paragraph. It could essentially undermine your entire argument; if I were a bureaucrat reading the letter, I'd read the last para and go "Aha! This is the real reason; the rest is just his justification." So even though that isn't true, by taking that out, you avoid the problem.

16. Shevanel

I agree with everyone else :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: xD

17. paco

paco Guest

bahaha you so would joey. you're just shy.

but yeah, i had the feeling it would probably weaken it, they might assume i found a guy to violate every every biblical law with or something, so i probably will take it out.

18. Shevanel

Fixed.

19. Dare2bProud

I was a resident assistant when I came out. I had to pull out of my contract and pay the university money, but it was for my own piece of mind. I couldn't serve others when I was going through loads of problems myself.

20. paco

paco Guest

ok i have made most of the edits that Mirko suggested, and i'm about to send the e-mail. i'm also counting on meeting with the guy in charge of all this, and so hopefully it won't be too tough to work everything out.

thanks for all the help (&&&)