1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mikulas12, Dec 13, 2009.

1. mikulas12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is anyone here experiencing difficulties to come out of the closet?

2. starfish

Coming out is very difficult. It was the hardest thing I have ever done.

This site is a great place to talk about it. Lots of great people here. So explore all of the site, even the fun and games section.

You'll find that once you start talking about it, it becomes easier to the point ever it is eventually not a big deal.

3. CrystalCat

I live in a homophobic jamaican family so it's kinda hard. i have accepting friends and ive told one of my sisters and i've had overwhelming amounts of support. It is one of the hardest and best things you might do in your life, and in the end its worth it because you're being you.

4. Just Adam

my family and most peopel i knwo in real life are homophobic so...yea its hard to finda reason.

5. RaeofLite

I will have to say that while I have hard things in life, Coming Out is a hard experience and tied to a couple other things I've been through.

The payoff is worth it because you'll find out who your real friends are, educate others, live life and see that you truely can be yourself. It's just a lengthly, emotional process... at times.

And you'll likely never stop coming out, ie: with strangers, because it's physically impossible to tell EVERYONE unless you do it on national television which everyone has access to.

6. Jjboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To me it was the hardest thing I ever had to do, just to those few people that know just because I am only out to maybe 10 - 12 people. They all took it so great that it makes things so much easier, but I am sure if they were not accepting, then it would just make me feel like shit, knowing that I trusted them and they don't accept me but so far I have not ran into that person that is not accepting of me yet but when I do tell that person (no idea who that will be yet, probably my mom) I will know my true identity.

7. x2x2x2x2y2

I'm only out to 2 people and it's definently hard BUT I believe it gets easier as you get use to coming out. :slight_smile:

8. RaeofLite

Oh yes I agree. Once you can say "I'm gay" or bi, or queer or lesbian or whatever you feel you are in the mirror, you can accept yourself, and move on to tell others. It's a good idea to test the waters first by maybe bringing up Gay issues, gay marriage, Will and Grace, just basic gay stuff or celebs to see how the people you're coming out to will react. Just so you know you won't get lynched or anything. :wink:

But it's totally worth it in the end. When you have the support of friends (and possibly family later on), life seems to have no bounds. :grin:

9. mmilam75

It's incredibly difficult. However, it's also one of the best things you'll ever do, because it allows you to be who you are without having to hide a part of yourself. The more people you come out to, the easier it will get. This is a great site for making friendships and talking to people who are going through the same thing you are going through...take what you will from the experiences here and then use that to figure out your own coming out process, because the process is different for each and every one of us.

You've taken the first step already by coming out to yourself...don't feel any pressure and only do something when you feel comfortable with it. The process of coming out should be on your timeframe, nobody else's.

Good luck!

10. BasketCase

Definitely.

I'm finding it massively difficult right now. I've had a churn in my stomach constantly now for the last few weeks. I guess it either means I will blurt it out to someone soon or I will find a new space in the closet so that I don't need to feel this way until the next time I start the journey.

11. adam88

It took a while and yeah, it was difficult. However, being able to be yourself for the first time without hiding anything is really, really liberating. :slight_smile: