1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about sexual fetishisms

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Owen, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I know there are probably people here with sexual fetishisms, so I'm sure someone knows the answer to this question. Are our fetishisms determined when we are born or are the influenced by our experiences while growing up? The reason I ask is that there is this one event from my early childhood (pre-school times) that marked the start of my fetish-like behavior. All of my telling behavior happened after that event, and I suspect that, if it was an event that created my fetish, that was the one. So, is it possible for an event to create a fetish, or does it merely awaken a "dormant" one?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think some are influenced by experiences as we grow up. I could certainly pin my interest in sports shorts on certain events at boarding school when I was about 14 (the details are not appropriate here).

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Oh tell, please please please... *looks at Paul with puppy eyes*

Just kidding.

Well, it's not a fetish... but I like guys bigger than myself. I know why it is, and it's acquired.

Then there's bondage... I'd like to tie my partner to the bed... that has to do with past experiences too.

4. Pyro

I have one fetsh (I don't think this is the place to tell wich it is, if you want to know PM me) and i must say nothing hapaned to me that could trigger that fetish... I just like it

I don't think you are born with them nor your experinces influnce i think that as you learn about sex and fetishes you "decide" what do you like... But this is just my opinion...

5. Gera-Kun

hmmm... i have a fetish also, but i don't think anything made me get it...i just turned out to like hairy chests...:icon_redf

6. tired_of_lying411

i think it can be compared to the way some people prefer grape popsicles and some prefer orange... it just is.

which, come to think of it, could be a little bit of a fetish there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. GuitarGirl1350

I just think it's a preference.
    I'm into a bunch of weird fetishes.
    *shrugs*
    and nothing ever happened to shape them.

8. Owen

Thanks for all the input guys. If you are interested, my fetish is for men bigger than myself.

9. xequar

I have several different fetishes, and I can't recall a time where I didn't have those fetishes or an event that would contribute to those fetishes. They've just sort of always been there... If you want or need more detail, PM me.

10. Double Dubya

Eww, who wants one of those? Grape popsicles are sooo gross:tantrum: jk

11. Nerdtendo

Defie a Fetish. We all have seperate fetishes, and some people clame one thing to be a fetish when it really isnt. Fetish is just described by socity for need of a name to something. If something makes you lustfull, then It's just with you from the beginning of life (admit, not so obvious in your childhood, but it grows, like you do). If you like it, you like it. simple as that!

12. CrimsonThunder

I like men and bums, is that a fetish? :grin:

13. Friend

Friend Guest

Ha!

I think i have a fetish

I'm not sexually active, so it's not like i can try it out

I stumbled upon the fetish website

Never expected ME to have that fetish

Maybe not.

eh.

Good luck...?

14. LorenzG1950

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_fetishism

http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/fetishism.htm

“Cause:
    The cause of fetishistic behavior as a pattern of sexual gratification cannot usually be explained easily. It is only when these patterns become part of a larger picture, at least in the far more common cases involving a male, such a picture typically involves doubts about ones own masculinity and potency and a fear of rejection and humiliation. By his fetishistic practices and the mastery over an inanimate object, which comes to symbolize for him the desired sexual object, the individual apparently safeguards himself and also compensates somewhat his feelings of inadequacy.”

From my own experience and extended study of fetishism :icon_redf , fetishes are probably acquired through trigger events at an early age (6-12). Once we figure out what turns us on, the conditioned response takes over. Fetishes can evolve and expand over the years through further experimentation. It is highly unlikely that fetishism can be cured, except with drugs that reduce our overall sexual response to anything, not a good idea :eek: .

As long as a fetish doesn’t become obsessive or bring you in conflict with the law, they can be a nice addition to your sexuality. Why would you want to cure something that provides great pleasure :slight_smile: ? Just my thoughts.

If anyone needs help or advice on the subject, send a PM.

15. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's important to realise that a fetish is different from a preference. As above, a fetish is quite ritualised and (in my layperson's understanding, at least) it's usually pretty consuming: like it quickly becomes a must, and not an added bonus.

It's also important to realise that "sexology" and psychiatry and even psychology has for years operated from a very sex-negative, deviance-based perspective, so things in the DSM and other commonly-held beliefs in those fields can be very slanted towards "you are a sick pervert" if your sexual desires don't fit into a relatively narrow definition of acceptable.

16. hideinyourshel

Perhaps Wiktionary's definition is simpler,

I don't really think a liking for bigger men or hairy chests really falls into that category!

I do in fact know someone (don't ask how... I have some really weird friends) who has a glove fetish and orders different gloves from eBay because he gets pleasure from putting them on. He thinks this was caused because someone he looked up to when he was young knitted gloves for him as a young child, so in his case it was acquired. However, I'm sure that other people have different experiences. I wouldn't say it is consuming (at least not for him,) just as your attraction to men isn't an obsession (I hope!)

17. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it can be both inherent and because of life experiences. I know that my sadism and dominance was shaped largely by my childhood (I began having the fantasies at five), and I can point out what may have caused some other fetishes of mine. But some of mine are inherent.

18. ScorpiusBlue

ScorpiusBlue Guest

I always believed that a fetish was something you HAD to have to get off like a type of sexual OCD....everything else is a preference or just something that happens to turn you on....I don't have any fetishes but I have along list of stuff I like and don't like.....oh and Tinkerbell....love your avatar of the pug :wink:

19. Owen

It's not consuming for me, but it's not an added bonus either; it's pretty much required if I'm to be turned on.

20. jroakwood

i think fetish is such a funny word and it makes me laugh at how many times its been said in these posts. hehe. sorry.
    uhhh.

and grape popsickles ARE gross. hehe. i much prefer orange.

i think fetishes are just things you prefer. why do people prefer certain things? who knows. we just do. if everyone liked the same things then there wouldnt be enough to go around. =) heh.