1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iwanttobelieve, Dec 14, 2009.

1. iwanttobelieve

hey there,

I don't have many friends and I was wondering if anyone else is in this position... I'd love to make friends but I guess its something I struggle at... :bang:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I have moved the thread to Support and Advice.

Sometimes, we are struggling to make new friends, for various reasons. Making friends can take time, but if you are willing to put the time and effort into it, you will succeed.

How to get to know new people or others? Start with school. Try to join one or a couple of activities in your school. Check if your school has an LGBT group that you could perhaps join. Joining activities and clubs will help you to get to know others.

When you start talking with others try to find some common ground at first. Talk about the things that you like, talk about your hobbies. Talking about school (what classes you have, which teachers you like, what do you hope to do when you graduate) is a good way to get started.

Besides school, you could also go to a nearby community centre. They often have activities for youths throughout the year. Check if there is something that you could join in. Also, check out your community websites to see if there is a LGBT youth group in your area that you could join (if you haven't done so already). That could really help in building friendships as well. Maybe try to see if there are local youth activities that you could join in as well.

Also, try to get to know some of the members here. Write on their walls and just say hi, and take it from there. Respond to a couple of threads in Chit Chat, Fun and Games, and Entertainment, so that others have a chance to start getting to know you a little bit. Maybe create an intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself.

If you need help in locating something, feel free to pm me at anytime, and I can help you find something that you might be interested in.

I hope this helps a bit. (*hug*)

3. iwanttobelieve

thanks, I will give it a try :slight_smile:

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel. I have no friends at all (excluding the online communities like EC that is). I just don't click with people from around here. I hate it. Of course being home schooled seems to have played a part in my lack of socializing skills.

Some people just have a more difficult time making that connection with people. Mirko gave some great advice, finding people with similar interests/hobbies makes it much easier to begin making friends because you already have at least one thing in common.

5. Just Adam

hey people dont allways just click like we want but there are allwars people to be your friends :slight_smile: u will find people

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always found that making friends is both pretty easy and very hard at the same time. Once you find someone you click with, conversation topics just seem to abound and it's easy to make the friendship become closer. Also, once you have a few friends, being introduced to other friends just seems to happen by itself.

However, being active in pursuing friends can take some effort. Especially if you have a tendency to overthink it. I think that Mirko's advice sums it up best:

I used to really hate doing this myself. When I start talking to people about day-to-day topics, it feels as if I'm bothering the other person with inane chatter. But that's the thing: it's just a feeling I had. Most people are perfectly happy to chat a bit about all kinds of things. A lot of the time, any awkwardness you feel is all just in your own mind.

I used to obsess about what would happen if the conversation went nowhere. But the surprising truth is that it's absolutely no disaster! At most it's just that: a conversation that went nowhere. In that case, it's best to just move on without a second thought, changing the topic, or try to make a conversation happen with someone else.

It takes a bit of effort and stress to put yourself out there and actively pursue friends. And it might go nowhere a few times. But it is very much something you can get the hang of! And obviously, you can stack the odds in your favour if you join a club or group of people with similar interests.
    I'm sure you can do it! (*hug*)

7. Jim1454

To have a friend you need to be a friend. So what kind of things would you want other people to do for you? Say hi? Send you an email once in a while? Ask how your weekend was? Whatever the list, that's what you should start doing with other people. Not necessarily all at once, and not with complete strangers. But once you've found people who you think you have some things in common with, start doing those little things to show them that you care about them. And they'll likely return the favour.

8. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

when i make new friends i tend to find things we have in common. usually with me its something around work cos thats where most of my friendships are made. after a bit of time i just start spraffing aload of rubbish. i think is why people love me aahaha.

hiya btw, im gary lool.