1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MissNomer, Dec 17, 2009.

1. MissNomer

MissNomer Guest

I'm getting my sister a kitten for Christmas. I'm super excited, as she had a kitten in summer and fell in love with her, but ended up having to give her up because her apartment didn't allow them and she got caught and was all heartbroken.

I've made sure the kitten is trained and fairly calm as kittens go (because my sister is a bit anxiety ridden) , and I'll be here to help her out with the new baby stuff.

The dilemma is this:

I'm picking up the kitteh tomorrow. Christmas is in a week. Do I stash the poor creature at a friend's house for a week and let her get comfy with somebody new just to take her away again...and then possibly take her home for the day to the parents...and bring her back again...traumatizing the little thing for the sake of surprise.................

OR

do I ruin the Christmas day surprise and give her to my sister early (still awesome but then I'll have nothing to give my sister on the day) for the sake of saving the new baby some discomfort

???

Thoughts?

2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

You should not get your sister a kitten for Christmas. Animals make for bad gifts. They are living beings and what if your sister isn't ready to own a kitten? What if she decides that she doesn't want one? A cat is decades worth of commitment. And she clearly has a history of not thinking ahead in situations with animals (if you live in an apartment that doesn't allow animals, don't get one).

Please rethink your choice of gift. If you really want to get her an animal related gift, get her gift certificate to the SPCA. That way she can decide to donate the money to them or she can make the decision on her own to get the cat.

#2 Numfarh, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did your sister move? Can she keep a pet in her apartment?

I think I would give the kitten to her tomorrow. I don't think you would ruin the Christmas day surprise. If you still wanted to give her something on Christmas morning, why not get her a small gift then.

4. littledinosaurs

This. ^

Also if you are getting pets from Shelters they have certain protocols for selling animals and the person who owns the animal is suppose to be present when buying it. I don't know all about purchasing cats but the entire purchasing family has to be present to get a dog from a shelter.

5. xequar

Quoting for truth. Espeically if sis hasn't moved, this is a bad idea.

6. MissNomer

MissNomer Guest

Well cheers for the support, folks, but I'm not a parent buying a kid something because it's super cute. I'm aware of the cliche "dont get pets for presents" thing, and I don't think it applies in our situation. Pets are a responsibility and a commitment. Who would have thought?

Yes, she's moved. She's living with me in a large apartment that allows pets. This is half the benefit. I will be here to help her. Worst case scenario, I'll end up with two cats of my own.

Re: spca vs stores - I'm getting her from a friend who's cat has had kittens. As I got my own cat.

Also, while we're at it, remove the judgmental tones in reference to my sister, thanks.

7. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

i would say surprise her. if she doesnt truly want the cat its not like she will be rude about it. she is a mature person who can decide on her own if a cat is something she needs/wants. you say the kitteh if fairly calm i dont think moving it would upset it too much. it would help if you went to where it was a let it get used to you that way when your sister does get the cat will still know who you are. :]

and yay new kitteh :]

8. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I'm just basing my suggestion on the staggering increases in pets going to the pound right after the holiday season and your small inclusion of her irresponsibility in the past. Don't you think that since she moved to your pet-friendly apartment she would have gotten a cat already? Especially if she was so enamored with her feline friend only this past summer?

Cats do not always get along with each other. Are you prepared for what might happen if your cats don't get along?

It's not cliche to warn someone that they are making a poor choice. Sometimes the best advice you can give someone is not exactly what they want to hear.

#8 Numfarh, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  9. x2x2x2x2y2

I say give it to her early. Shes how old?? I dont think it will exactly "ruin christmas" for her if she gets it early.