1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Psychiatrist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Swamp56, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I met with him today.

He had no emotion, and treated me like I was wasting his time. He dx'd me with bipolar and then when I told him I have poor medicine compliance, he told me he didn't "want to be involved in that" and told me I could leave. He said that being medicine compliant is "mature" (as if I have a choice about being delusional).

He asked me a bunch of questions and diagnosed me w/o even asking me the details of my delusional and paranoid behavior.

I think I'm not going to go back to him; I'd rather find a psychiatrist that I can form a bond with and get along with.

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

... He shouldn't even have a liscence if he acts like that.. What a waste of time!

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I can understand the "not wanting to be part of it" when a patient isn't medicine compliant, since he is considering liability, but his general lack of emotion and "fuck you" attitude were what got me.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's not a very good doctor. You should go to someone else as you thought.

5. mmilam75

I agree with what the above posters have said. When I was 21, I had a congenital brain malformation that could have paralyzed me from the neck down. The first neurologist I went to see had the same attitude you describe and he diagnosed me with migraines. I got a second opinion and then, after my surgery, I had a not PG-13 conversation with him :wink: Seriously, though, go see another doctor who will hear you out and address whatever you may be feeling like you need to discuss.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chris,

It really sucks that you've had two not-good experiences with psychiatrists. I'm sure you realize that there are some truly gifted and amazing psychiatrists out there, it's just sometimes difficult to find them. I've met several godawful ones and two that were simply amazing both in their ability to hone in on the right diagnosis and in their connection and empathy to their patients.

I think you're absolutely making the right choice here. It's just unfortunate that it's taking so long to get appointments to find the right person. Best of luck to you in continuing your search.

7. RaeofLite

Wow I'm sorry to hear that... That sounds similar to a friends neurosurgeon... What a whack job with no bedside manner. >.o

I'd say get a second opinon. Or third opinion even! Change your psychiatrist whatever the case.