1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I have these issues?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Friend, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Friend

Friend Guest

I like boys.

Surprise surprise.

But you see, my dear friends, I think I have issues with my own homosexuality.

I dunno why.

I wasn't raised religious, and I don't want to change, but, you see:

I hate being called gay, or introduced as the gay friend;

I hate being referred to as "a good shopping buddy";

I hate when people assume I'm feminine and can't play sports (well, I can't, but it's still rude).

And I hate when straight boys, as innocent and polite as they are, ask me about being a homosexual.

I don't even like the WORD gay. Or the terms "coming out" and stuff like that.

I was never bullied, or the victim of a hate crime, but still...

Is it wrong that I'm like this? I've even been known to mutter derogitory, hateful gay slares when around my friends, and I think badly about gay men on TV.

Maybe I have issues with my masculinity...

I don't know what's wrong with me. Do you?

#1 Friend, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2007
  2. Evilmonkey

dude theres nothing wrong with you at all..
    a lot of us do, or at some stage did have issues with being a homosexual.(i prefer the term gay, its more friendly than the more medically 'diagnosed' term homosexual). And theres nothing wrong with disliking the stereotype. a ,lot of people dobnt know any gay people (or dont know that they do) so all they have to know of what 'gay' is is by looking at the stereotype, or by looking at Carson Kresley. we're not all like that.
    all you can do is be yourself, not be swayed by any stereotype, and not by what you think a man should be. be yourself, and you'l learn to be comfortable with that

3. Friend

Friend Guest

thanks evilmonkey

(i totally realize why you went for that name. or not. i just like family guy)

i really appreciate the healtfelt message

now it's gonna take me ten minutes to get back to the forum's homepage.

this computer SUCKS.

4. GuitarGirl1350

I didn't used to like being called a "lesbian".
    But I got used to it.
    I still prefer gay.
    But I got comfortable with it.

5. CrimsonThunder

Heya welcome. I hate being 'that gay person' as well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Im not even gay...

I agree with everything u say.

6. Anger

You think how I think.

I dislike a lot of it. I don't like being introduced as a gay friend, or referred to like that. I don't like having assumptions made about me or people telling me I'm good to talk about boys with. The issue is it seems like people try to take away our individuality. It's absurd. But here I am, waking up day after day and it eats you alive. You almost start to feel like you have to live up to a streotype or people get completely confused. Believe me, you do no wrong on your side. It's that most people's IQs truly prevent them from comprehending the fact that 'Homosexual' or 'Gay' is simply not a fair personality discriptor when it comes to us.

I hate thinking that there are still people I have to 'come out' to.
    I hate that shit. By all means be proud, it's good to be confident in who you are. But you don't have to be flaringly proud of your sexuality if it's not how you want people to know you. Be proud of what you can do and the person you are. Don't let it get into your head like that. But it is easy for one to tire of people's aggravating questions. Hell, I don't even want to be in a relationship with another guy again, and I'm pretty sure that has to do with the idea that's been driven into my head in this place that every gay person here is just a slut looking to get laid. You hear it so much that you start to accept it. And really, that's a pretty crappy thing.

Don't be lead to think there's anything wrong with you. Maybe it's simply a situation of going through it, learning something and coming out stronger. I don't know, I've uttered so many terrible things about homosexuality I think I lost count. And in no way do I want people to think I'm homophobic to my community, its all really just pent up frustration for me. Hell, it's really frustrating being different. Being reminded of it everyday. There IS a pressure there, from the people around us, the future, everything. We're not at a point yet where people's ignorance has stopped, so that being homosexual isn't that big of a deal to a person. We're not at a point of it just being accepted and not a huge issue. So when it's all around us, I think it's pretty impossible not to be angry at times.

Long story short, if someone says something objectional say 'Hey I don't appreciate that', set them right. Who cares if they think you're being a pretentious prick. That's beyond the point. The point is they're telling you who they think you should be inside and it stops you from portraying who you really are and who you really want to show. Don't make yourself think you have to fit into everyone elses ideas of conformity...

That's just my thoughts, thought.

7. rulz18

Out Status:
    A few people
    i agree COMPLETELY. i hate the hole stereotype because i like to think in most ways i break it. like, you wouldnt think im gay (maybe suspect it) but i still go to the gym often and play sports and stuff so not as if gay people have to fit the stereotype... its just that most ignorant people think they do

i was never raised against gays or anything or been bullied so its not as if problems come from there. its like, i hate being gay but ive accepted it and it doesnt hurt me, like it used to.

wow have i strayed heaps in this post?