1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flea Advice? >_o

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Time, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Time

So, my dog has fleas. It was really bad, but then we got some Advantage, and that seems to have taken care of most of them. He still has a few though.

In a couple weeks, I'm moving to Texas to live with my dad. I'm bringing the dog and a lot of my stuff with me. I'm really worried about infesting my dad's house with fleas. I'm going to treat my dog again before I leave, and use flea spray on my stuff, but anyone who's had any experience with fleas knows it's not as simple as that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to take every precaution I possibly can before I move.

By the way, he has short, white hair. So, it's pretty easy to check him for fleas, and I'm thinking that before I even get in the car, I'll make sure I've picked them all off, which should help a little, right?

2. mischa91

Maybe you could give him a flea bath, i know fleas die in warm water so it could help rid him of them. plus it'll get rid of the ones that run to his belly to hide from the sprays. Picking them off will only get rid of the adult fleas not the eggs but treating him with the products you have will hopefully get rid of those.

you could also get some of that stuff you spray in your carpet/on your furniture; but make sure you read the label as you might have to take your dog out of the area for a length of time. That stuff will kill any fleas that are no longer on your pet or you.

my cats just had fleas and treating them with that once a month stuff worked pretty well and i flea combed them every day for a week and the problem seems to have been taken care of for now.

3. Pasalacqua

Flea bath, flea collars don't do shit.
    Spread lavender oils around where the dog usually sleeps/eats. Fleas don't like that.
    Also, Borax works too. Sprinkle that around.
    Flea bombs work kind of.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    keep using the advantage, don't stop and put it on every month like you're supposed to.
    Give your dog a flea bath and buy a flea comb, you can get them at Publix and they're not expensive.
    Get a cup of warm water and comb through your dog's fur (pets usually sit still for this becuase they like getting brushed) run the comb through and if any fleas or egges are in the comb swirl it in the warm water to kill them.
    This will take you a lot of time but it is the only way to be sure you 'em all.

5. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Oh God, my house is infested with fleas. One of my cats was literally being eaten alive (they gave her a skin infection and everything) and my dog was being tortured by them too.

The only way WE got rid of them was by taking the pets to the vet to get them specially groomed and bathed to kill them all AND getting superpowered flea treatment for them for the next few months. The house still needs to be bombed, though--I still get bitten in my sleep.....

6. Mana

I only have experience with cats, but its pretty much the same principle.

The best treatment is Frontline Spot-On http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/prod1.asp?ID=142 Use that, as well as combing him daily with a fine toothed flea comb (dip the comb in boiling water whilst using it to make sure you kill all the fleas.) This'll get out all the fleas and eggs. Just keep doing this regularly. Also hoover regularly, especially the places he likes to sleep, to make sure he doesnt get re-infested by eggs left lying around.

If Infestation does get a problem, you can get flea traps for the house.

7. Shady

fleas are terrible. I was totally in the same boat as Katherine, and seriously, that is almost the only way. we flea bombed about once a week, and washed the cats about the same, and it basically got rid of them. Fleas are demon sperm, i swear.

At your dads, prevention is the key. those spot treatments work pretty well, and i would do basically everything you've been told.

but if he only has a few, don't worry. a few only turns into an infestation when you let it.