1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Complete Mess, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Complete Mess

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My male best friend is gay and right now is completely on a downer. Nothing seems to being right for him. Guys have hurt him by completely changing their mind when they meet him, or ignoring him. I want to make him feel better, any suggestions?

2. tinarenee

Just be there for him and let him vent when needed. Hugs are always good too. Take him out and have a good time just the two of you - no dates.

3. Connor22

^ says it all really, maybe you should introduce him to some of your (male or female, try a few of both) and let them see that he is normal (if he is) and try and let them become friends, that way his popularity will most definatly grow, you'll see he'll be more confidant and people will like him better. I wish him (and yourself) GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.

4. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

You could do something to try and cheer him up. Maybe you could take him and go have a fun little date night or something with dinner and a movie? Since it's the holidays too, you could bake him some cookies or something...I always think that is really sweet. Other than that, just be there for him and give him lots of hugs :slight_smile: .

5. flymetothemoon

Is he feeling like nobody will accept him for who he is because of this? If so, introducing him to some people that you know will accept him for who he is and hanging out with that group might help. If it's something else, probably the best thing to do is do something nice for him like make cookies or something, go hang out with him, let him talk, and be there to listen and be a shoulder to cry on if he needs it. Sometimes that is all we really need is just to know we have that close friend who is still there to be the one thing right when everything else seems to be going wrong.

6. Jim1454

How is he arranging to 'meet' these guys to begin with? What are they 'changing their minds' about? If he's trying to meet people on some kind of online site, he might be dealing with the shallower end of the gay population.

What he needs is to get out and meet 'real' people in 'real' situations. Introduce him to your friends. Even if they themselves aren't gay - because they might have a gay friend. It's all about just getting out there and experiencing life with realistic expectations.

Good luck - to both of you!

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm not clear on the "changing minds" thing, either.

But just empathize. Say "wow, that sucks" when appropriate, and ask if he'd like to go out and do something fun to help get him out of his rut. This will show that 1. you care, 2. you're willing to do things to help, and 3. you're noticing he's being a downer, and perhaps it'd be ideal if he started working on getting out of it. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. Complete Mess

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He doesn't mind if people don't accept him. mos of ma friends r homophobics so i canny really. Bt taking him out is a good idea. Good day out should take his mind of it. thanx everyone.

9. Just Adam

im confused here... it erads as you care and want to help your friend, but you cant really accept him because of how your other friends feel?

if thats right tehn the first thing you need to do is decide whos more important those friends who are iggnorant and hateful or your other friend who is alone and needs someone and you need to decide for yourself if you can accept him and not be what your friends want you to be, because if you cant accept him then you cant really care for him and you really cant help him.

sorry to sound like im h aving a go but its jsut how it seems, if you want to help him you have to accept and care. going out isnt an answer its only an effect of the answer, you can go out in a group of people and still be alone and misserable what he needs is someone to actually give a crap and not be a user or liar.

so figure your feelings out and whos more important to you then jsut be there, be a constant source of friendship and compassion.

10. Complete Mess

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Of course I accept him for who he is! I don't think we would be close if i didn't. Plus slightly contradictive since I'm bi, if i didn't accept someone who was gay and it's great having a gay bestfriend. And i'm always there for him if he needs me, I just kno how much it is hurting him to be rejected by Guys and i don't like it.

11. Just Adam

alot of people can be close but still not accept each other and beeing a part of teh lgbt spectrum doesent mean your accepting of others there is still ignorance and intollerance withen the community. but as you say you do care alot then thats good and its also good that you want him to be happy.... but outside of beeing there as an emotional buffer thers not much you can do in teh love department unless you want to go around setting him up.

12. matty123

yeh just be there for him, let him know he can talk to you, just having a bisexual friend you have the option of talking to is really useful, i don't know what i'd do without my bi best friend lol :slight_smile: