1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Then what??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Dec 20, 2009.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

Everyone says to be yourself. Well what do you do when nobody likes your true self?? And don't say something like "well then screw them, they're not real friends.". It's not easy to say/think that when you're all alone for being yourself.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! When a lot of people (friends in particular) don't like your true self then maybe you have to re-examine some of the things you do and say. Yes, by all mans be yourself but you also need to think about others' feelings and reactions. Maybe if you provide an example, I/we could give you a more concrete suggestion as to what you might need to change so that when you are being yourself, your friends/others will still like you.

3. Brandford

I know exactly how you feel, I really don't have any friends myself and what friends i used to have ended up leaving me because of who I am became overbearing, I'm trying to learn to control it. I suggest you try to be yourself but don't go all out doing and saying things you know someone wont like. Unfortunately I don't have that kinda self control for those who are close to me, I even set rules for anyone who wishes to be close to me, which is pretty bad but I can't help it, certain things i don't find acceptable. I've learned to be content with the one person I have. I would say who cares, manipulating and controlling everything you do and say sucks but I guess since you really want friends thats what you gotta do.

4. x2x2x2x2y2

Well i dont have a example to give right now, but just in general. And honestly i always think about peoples feelings before i say stuff. But i think the problem is i dont think bout peoples feelings before i DO stuff.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's, what, 6 billion people on earth? I'm sure there's some people who will like you, you might not have met them yet, or gotten to know them yet, though. To be honest I don't really have any advice. But, I've seen you around the forum and you seem like a likeable person, so I don't know what is causing these problems? Why do you think people don't like you? What do you think causes it?

6. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think about peoples' feelings before you say things that's already good. Apply that same to before you do things/stuff. Always ask yourself, 'how would I feel if a friend of mine would do the same to me or if I would be present." Generally, if you can put yourself in the shoes of your friends before you do things and give it some thought, you will learn as to whether it is such a good idea to do what you are about to do.

You know your friends/people with whom you hang out. You know the people around you and presumably have some insights as to what makes them tick and what makes them uncomfortable or how they might react to certain things. You have already lots of information to go on. Use that information before you do something, and ask yourself: "knowing my friend/family member, if I do this, will I make him/her feel upset or angry at me?"

7. x2x2x2x2y2

Well in real life im REALLY REALLY sarcastic and dont show much emotion, which i can tell gets on peoples nerves a lot. I think that was my way of building a wall to protect myself from getting hurt. Its like being sarcastic is my shell to protect me.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, sarcasm can be funny. If people don't like you for using it often, it probably offends them somehow?

9. x2x2x2x2y2

I have a hard time putting myself into peoples shoes. I try but im usually bad at it. I feel the only way to get people to like me would be to numb my personality, so that theres no way i could get on someones nerves.

10. x2x2x2x2y2

Haha yeah i love sarcasm. i think i just use it too much though. Literally like 75% of everything that comes out of my mouth is sarcastic. lol

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to tone it down a little bit then if people dislike you for it. Or, find people who do like it... I don't really think you should change for anyone, but if that bothers them, then you should probably stop it or at leastttt do it less around them.

12. x2x2x2x2y2

Thats the hard part. I dont believe in changing for anyone(unless its like a bf or gf). So by trying to tone it down, i feel like im going against my own beliefs. Geez why cant the world be black and white. lol

13. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you have identified your problem that you could and probably should work on. :slight_smile:

Sarcasm can be great at times, but if you overdo it, or if people are easily offended by it, then it would be good if you would use less sarcasm. It goes back to you knowing your friends and the people you are around or hang out with. You do have to modify what and how you say things when talking with different people. If 75% of what you say is sarcasm, people might not only be offended more easily but they might also stop taking you seriously down the road.

Try to work on that and also on the skill of being able to put yourself in the shoes of others. If you can do that, you will understand from where others are coming from.

But sometimes you have to. In that, sometimes you have change some of the things about yourself, in particular if they are things that annoy others or will lead others to distance themselves from you. Not only need to change or adapt to a bf or gf, but you also need to adapt to your friends reactions and feelings. Not doing so, you might find yourself isolated. Friendships are two way streets, where you need to respect and adapt.

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't think it's really changing for them, it's just kinda respecting that they don't like it, so you just tone it down when your around them. But, if you want people to like you, sarcasm and all, then you'll have to find other friends, or your friends are going to have to stop being bothered by it... It's like if you like to punch your friends in the shoulder friendly-ly... and they don't like it... you should stop right? Well I don't think it's really changing for them....

But if they liked you in the first place why are they now starting to get annoyed with it?

15. x2x2x2x2y2

Yeah i can already tell, people often dont take me seriously. My best friend always has a hard time telling when im sarcastic and when im being serious. Its funny but also kinda sad. lol

16. x2x2x2x2y2

I think cuz after awhile it gets overwhelming. My best friend and I have been spending SO MUCH more time together lately, so i think now he has to feel my sarcasm a lot more then before.

17. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because if one overdoes things, it can become a trunoff very quickly. As with any 'new things' having some sarcasm in a conversation might be fun and a new way of looking at things for the first little while, but if it is done constantly, it will become a turn off, very quickly.

18. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i like people that are sarcastic. i can be myself.

19. x2x2x2x2y2

^ what Mirko said.

20. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But that's the problem. How is your friend supposed to take you seriously after a while? Stop being sarcastic for a while, and try to respect your friends and try to adapt a bit to their needs and feelings. And this is the magic of friendship. If you can do that, the chances of your friendships surviving for some time to come, are a lot higher.