1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok... Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by winter89, Dec 20, 2009.

1. winter89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok, so it's been a while since I was last on here, but I'm back and in another confused situation. I've been dating the most amazing woman now for 2 1/2 years but it's all been long distance. We've managed to make it last for this long and we've made the plans to move in together after this summer and I couldn't be happier about that fact :icon_bigg The problem I'm running into is telling my mom that I'm moving in with my girlfriend. My mom's been supportive of our relationship from the start, but I'm unsure of how she'll take the news that we're going to live together. I go to school 5 hours away from home, but this is a big step. I don't know how to tell her, but I want to get it over with so my girlfriend and I can spend time planning to move in together while we get to see each other over the holidays. Any advice on how to bring this up with my mom?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, before I try laying out the advice, lemme make certain of a few things.

Does your mother know you're gay?
    Does she know you're dating somebody (long distance)?
    Does she know this woman at all?
    Have they met in person?
    Have YOU two met in person?
    How close will you be from your mother when you move in together?

Lex

3. winter89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, my mom knows I'm gay. Yes she knows I'm dating. Yes they've met, several times. Yes I've met her- we met at a place we used to work at. I'll be 5 or so hours away from my mother and the only times she comes to visit are few and far between.

4. Ralivar

If you have been dating for 2 1/2 years then and from what you have said your mum is supportive, so I would think that the bext thing to do might be to just talk to her about it upfront. It doesn't sound like you are rushing ino it (the moving in together that is) and from everything elseyou have said I doubt your mum would have a problem with it. So I say just go for it and tell her.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd just put it in a different context. Don't say "we're moving in together". Just say "We've found a great place in such-and-such a place. It's convenient to both of our works..."

Lex