1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does this always happen to me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crazydude, Dec 24, 2009.

1. crazydude

I always fall for the kind of guy that is 99.9% straight. I'm not really into the "gay" scene so I only mainly throgh work but the ones I want are straight. I know this is a stupid question but is there anyway to tell if another guy is into guys? I'm so afraid of aproaching a guy and having them be really homophobic or something. How do you meet "normal" nice guys when you're not into the scene?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, given that most of the population is straight, statistically most of the guys you fall for will be straight. Sometimes, you get lucky, but there's definitely a better chance of the people around you being gay if you're in a gay environment. The scene isn't all about semi-naked guys grinding on each other in nightclubs - there are plenty of social groups, book clubs, sporting groups, and the like for queer people. Getting involved in one of these doesn't guarantee you'll find a guy, but it does up your chances, both of finding a boyfriend and making new friends.

3. TriBi

^ Maddy speaks wisely.:icon_bigg

Are there any groups in your area that might be a good start for getting to know people that might be more likely to be friends (or more)? Google can be your friend in this - Whatever is your favourite activity(ies) - just type it into Google search with 'Gay' in front & 'L.A.' after. :icon_bigg

4. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Or you could Google "LGBT" and "Los Angeles."

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Normal nice gay guys are out there. The problem is that they don't tend to introduce themselves as gay to random people in the street. So to meet them you do need to increase your odds of running into them.

As the others said, not al GLBT organisations are about clubbing, going out, drinking and having one-night stands. There might be an organisation near you that caters to a GLBT audience, and offers activities that might interest you.

You don't mention how out you are, but the other way to meet more gay people is to be out yourself. Lots of people meet other people because they get in contact through common friends. If you aren't out to friends, they might never think of telling you about other GLBT friends they may have. When I came out, it turned out some of my friends had GLBT friends they never told me about because there never was a reason to bring them up.
    Building a network of peoplke you're out to tends to bring you into contact with more and more gay people over time. It does involve coming out to some people first, though.

6. Silvermark

I feel the exact same as TC here...
    The majority of the guys I crush on are straight as a ruler... And the ONE guy who wasn't, is in a relationship...

I suggest you follow the advice given here. Find a clup which caters to LGBT and find someone through that. Or perhaps just wear something inconspicious but obvious to someone who's looking out for it...
    A rainbow pin or armband or something.