1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back At Home

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bookmarked, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Bookmarked

Alright. Keep it simple. It is Christmas, after all.

Basically, I'm out to my parents but not to the rest of my siblings. This makes for some rather interesting dinner conversations. Which is the topic of this post.

Essentially, after lunch today my brother started talking about lesbians. Bad times. As a summary of it, just think the usual; "It's not right, not natural, I feel a bit disgusted, they all hate men." I argued a little, but it ended up being a little futile, circular and just made me upset.

The main thing that I'm bothered with isn't that event itself. But basically for the past three months I've been at university for my second year there. Everyone there is really tolerant, which makes coming back to the old casual homophobia of home unusual and unpleasant.

So really, what I'm asking you all is this;

"When you come back from (Whatever Tolerant Place) to (Some Not-So-Tolerant Place), how do you cope?"

Thanks for reading.

2. InaRut

I'm not sure how to cope myself. I've found this to be an issue I find when coming home from University where I have gay friends and people who are alot more familar with such things...then going back home to friends whom chose to be something ignornat and un-understanding of my sexuality (I find my wording a little harsh here- It's not so bad). Then with the family, I myself fear I'll never have the confidence in myself to stand above a rather burdening sense of difference to the rest of my family.

The proper advice for this situation would be to try and talk to your friends and family (in this case your parents) about how you feel. If you feel you need to cope...if you need to cope then there is a problem...If there is a problem you need to talk it out.

But some of us are silent sufferers unable to talk or find the words to talk about our problems. In this case I suggest constant communication with the friends who understand you back at College. I know it's helped me survive the holidays.

Haha!

All the best though! Hope I've helped. If not, at least you know your not the only one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: