1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried About A New School...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Clockwork, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Clockwork

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys, I really need some advice. :slight_smile: I've talked to a lot of my friends about this, and they gave me great opinions, but I was wondering some of YOUR opinions as well.

So, I'm moving to a new town, new school. I'm kind of nervous about it, and my mother brought up a fact that made me even *more* nervous than anything. Not only am I going to a new town where I have to deal with hiding my sexuality, but I'm also moving in to a highly-religious town.

I'm not against people's beliefs, but I know they're usually against me being nonreligious and bisexual. How should I deal with it? I've gone through years of being called a 'dyke' behind my back before, and I really don't want to deal with it again...

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. :grin:

2. revolutionrock

Don't worry too much about it. I'm from a rather small, conservative town in Arizona as well and my religious friends don't really care at all about my being gay. Even if you are ostracized by some of the more religious people, there will always be people who couldn't care less about sexuality and will accept you with open-arms based on any number of other personal attributes.

Don't worry about it too much, at least not before it is an actual issue for you. :slight_smile:

3. bkwrm175

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the most important thing for you to do - if you're comfortable being out at school - is to 'own it.' You don't need to stand up on the first day and announce your sexuality, but if someone calls you a dyke, just agree with them, and move on.

I've had a fair bit of experience with bullies...all they're looking for is a reaction. If they get that, they'll keep coming back for more. If they don't get a reaction, they'll leave you alone.

It also might not hurt to talk to some of the teachers/school officials before anything happens. If you're really worried about how things might go, you could arrange a meeting with you, your mom and the principal, to let him/her know about potential issues before they happen.

Good luck! I hope things go well for you!

4. Clockwork

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    :grin: thanks guys, your words really help. I'm especially more at ease with what you said, since you're also from a small town in Arizona RevolutionRock. Thanks so much you guys!

5. revolutionrock

Of course! Good luck with your move. :slight_smile: Keep us updated!