1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DrumminJulia, Dec 29, 2009.

1. DrumminJulia

DrumminJulia Guest

I'm sad and I have this habit that the world of depressed teenagers have. I totally don't know what to. I'm a christian and believe it's Satan. And HELP me with this one: Did Satan tempt me with other girls? Is that why I'm gay? Have I fallen under sin and disobeyed God? I'm confused and depressed and I'm ready to give up and just fall. :tears:

-Julia

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a few websites I think would be really helpful for you:

Would Jesus Discriminate
    God Made Me Gay
    The Gay Christian Network
    Soulforce
    For The Bible Tells Me So: a movie that I think is on Youtube

I'm not really religious, so I don't have the issue of trying to reconcile my sexuality and my religion, but I think those sites and that movie could really help you - you're definitely not alone, there are so many people who are gay and religious and have had the same problems you have, and reading what they've learned could help a lot. But I don't think you're sinning at all. I doubt that any loving deity would create you as you are and then condemn you for it.

3. bkwrm175

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am Gay, and I am a Christian. I don't think this needs to be a contradiction.

John 3:16 says For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (wording changes somewhat depending on translation.)

This doesn't say 'For God so loved the world except for the homosexuals, and the divorced, and (according to the WBC) those who listen to Lady GaGa.'

There are a lot of web sites and bible studies that deal with this issue, and I encourage you to read them. One site to check out would be for the Student Christian Movement of Canada (which I'm involved with) - http://queerandchristian.org/

If God didn't want me to be gay, he wouldn't have made me that way.

I wish you all the best, feel free to PM me if you want to talk more :slight_smile:.

4. Absentminded

Julia, remember something. GOD LOVES ALL HIS CHILDREN. It doesn't matter their colour, their origin, or who they fall in love with. God created us all, didn't he? So, if he was your creator, he must have meant for you to be gay, right?
    Ya know who told me that? Another Christian girl, who happens to also be very gay herself.
    We're the same as straight people really, we're wired to fall in love. We're wired to be happy, and live. We're wired to to be human. God has a plan for each and every one of us, and if you're gay, he intended for it all to be that way. Don't feel like you're betraying him, because if HE is our creator, HE intended for each and every one of us to be gay, straight, transgendered, asexual, bisexual, tall, short, or whatever we happen to be.
    I'm not saying that every little choice that we make is God's doing, but I am saying that he's the one who made us what we are, with the things that we have no control to change. He created us, made us, wired us to live our futures, but left us to make our own choices, and determine things that happen in our lives. Otherwise, we would all be the same. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Hope you feel better hun (*hug*)

5. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Hey, I am a Christian and a homosexual and it has taken me a long time to try and reconcile these two things. I didn't want to choose between who I was and the God I loved. I tried a number of different things to help me to change, most of the time desperately trying to get closer to God, believing that if my faith was just strong enough I would like girls. While 'getting closer to God' did make me lust less and helped me to be more confident in my stance of no sex before marriage, it did nothing to change the baseline fact that I was still attracted to guys.

You have to understand that many Christians use the Bible to justify their own prejudice and their own fear. Notice that (mostly) their homophobia is more directed towards keeping themselves comfortable than actually helping and ministering to people who are gay. Second, know that what is right and wrong in Christianity changes with time. At one time even protestants believed that contraception was wrong but now that has changed. That doesn't mean that there aren't Christian morals that God intends us to follow, but just that we as humans sometimes get them wrong.

Remember, at the heart of the Gospel is grace. I know that me keeping my homosexuality a secret is keeping me oppressed and is destroying my relationship with God. I don't know if homosexuality is wrong or right, the Bible is not as clear as people say. But this I do know, I will love God and serve God to the best of my ability and in the freedom of who I am. If this is wrong I know that God's grace is sufficient. This isn't me trying to use and abuse the grace of God, but just me trying to live in freedom for the glory of God.

I hope this helps, just some of my rantings.

6. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Like bookworm said, I would also recommend checking out the Student Christian Movement, a great movement.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Did Satan tempt me with other girls? Is that why I'm gay?

I think the term for that is "putting the cart before the horse". Satan (or anybody, really) couldn't tempt you with other girls if you weren't gay to begin with. :slight_smile:

Do check out the websites suggested above. Us gays don't have anything to do with Satan. Well, no more than any other human, anyway.

Lex

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like what Lex said, how can you be tempted, if you weren't that type of person already? IF you were straight, girls wouldn't have tempted you. Now if you were gay then technically you could of been tempted, the only thing is, you weren't. You like girls because that's who you are!

9. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't seem to remember anything about homosexuality being bad in what the big J said. Every place in the Bible where it does say that we are bad was either written by Hebrew elders of some kind, or by St. Paul...

Both of those sets of authors were living in time and place where anti-gay views were the cultural norm among numerous other antiquated values appropriate for their time and place. You could be strangled to death for homosexuality in ancient Rome! The old testament demands the stoning of people who wear clothing of mixed fibers!

It is accepted and proven that Homosexuality is a natural trait of humanity, and a boat load of other species. There is no choice, no real cause to blame, no one to blame; some people simply are sexually and emotionally attracted to the same sex.

The Christian God would not be so cruel as to at once "make" you gay and forbid it as a crime against his will. That would be like God saying "To have brown hair is an abomination!" after he just gave everyone brown hair, or saying the consumption of bread is a crime after Jesus just made a Panera's worth of munchies for the masses. It doesn't work.

Yes, it is impossible for Satan to tempt you with women if you weren't already attracted to them. It is hard to get into another person's head space, but straight people simply can't be tempted by the same sex. It does nothing for them. They find the opposite sex just as alluring as you find women, and the same sex just as boring as you may find men. To tempt you with women even though you were straight would be like me tempting an eight year old with cream of broccoli soup; it isn't gonna happen.

You are fine and just the way God wanted you; no one is trying to subvert you by making you like girls, because you simply are that way.

2nd edit: Forgot the hugs! (*hug*)(*hug*)

#9 ethelred, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  10. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I think also its important to remember that sex had much different contexts 2000 years ago. For example, in ancient Greece, sex had as much to do with power as it did to do with pleasure. In that culture, homosexual paedophilia was encouraged but sex between two grown men was shameful because it was shameful for another full grown man to take the role of a woman in sex. We have to be very careful when applying Biblical sexual principles to the 21st century because what may have been wrong in the original context of the Bible may not have been the sex act itself.