1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting other gay people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by konfused612, Dec 30, 2009.

1. konfused612

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am trying to meet other gay people. I'm not seeking out anything sexual, I'm just trying to socially meet others. I'd like to have a few more gay friends because I can count the number of gay friends I have on a single hand. With the new year coming up, I was thinking I might just head over to boys town on New Years Eve, check out some of the gay bars (by myself), and see where it goes. However I've never been the most social person, and while I've gotten better over the last few years, I'm still not sure how successful I'll befriending others in a bar setting. Plus I'm afraid that it'll come off as hitting on them. Thought at the same token I've never been to a gay bar, so perhaps it's more conducive to socially meeting others than I'm picturing in my head.

If anyone has thoughts regarding meeting other gay people and if gay bars might be a good place to do this, I'd like to hear them.

2. RaeofLite

Google "gay clubs" in your area. Search facebook too. Is there a "rainbow centre" in your city? If so, that'd be a good place to start too.

By "clubs" I mean, activity clubs, like "Gay volleyball" or something. Somewhere you can go to hang out with other queer people doing activities you enjoy.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think a good place to meet other gay people and to make some new friends would be a LGBT support group. Are you at college/university? If so, maybe try checking out if there is a LGBT organization on your campus. You could also try finding a support group in the area where you live.

Often times, LGBT support groups or LGBT social groups will have regular social events such as coffee houses, movie nights, or meetings that are open to all.

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to get to know someone at a gay bar, but often times, it is a lot harder to try to strike up a conversation with someone. But, if you think it would be a 'great' experience and you would like to go in and see what it is like, go in. :slight_smile:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rae's got the right idea, I think. Nothing wrong with gay bars per se, but they often can be more of a place where you get to know someone for a night rather than a lifetime, as it were. :slight_smile: Doing a google search for gay social groups in your area might be more conducive to getting to know people in a more social setting.

Lex

5. dude99

dude99 Guest

I agree what you said about the gay bar thing. Anyway you would probably have more luck on hooking up with someone there than making a friend there.

Also look in your city as there may be volunteer job opportunities in places where many gays go such as Aids information centre, or Gay mens health centers.

In addition there may be gay sporting groups around where you can look into.

6. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorta in the same position. The LGBT group on my campus doesn't have exactly the best kinds of people :/ It's hard to meet other gays.