1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a pain at dinner >:|

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GhostDog, Jan 1, 2010.

1. GhostDog

So, I have this thing where I absolutely cannot stand eating noises. When I was wee, it used to just be people chewing with their mouths open and smacking their gum (also, eating chips), but as I've gotten older it's gotten worse. I can't stand people chewing quietly, crinkling food packaging, or making any kind of swallowing noise. I can't even look at people eating anymore. It seriously makes me want to either hit people or crawl out of my own skin. Or do both. Sometimes it makes me feel nauseated. If I can't leave the room, I either shudder or writhe in my seat and cover my ears.

It's ridiculous. I can't eat with my family at the dinner table anymore. =( It's like I am utterly incapable of tuning it out, like someone's dragging their fingernails on a chalkboard. So I look like a prissy bitch when people come over and have dinner with us and I'm huddled away in a different room, or when someone gets a snack and I have to leave the room. I'm also really self-conscious about eating in front of people because I know I make those noises too and I don't want to be a huge, gross-sounding hypocrite.

I haven't the foggiest idea what to do about this. I try to tell myself it's not a big deal because, dude, it's just eating. Everyone does it if they don't wanna starve! But I find it so revolting that my reactions to it end up being practically a full-body experience.

What can I dooooo? D:

2. Connor22

I'm exactly the same but it's only with my dad. When he's eating I just want to hit him and scream! glad I'm not the only one!! :slight_smile:

3. Markio

I have the exact same problem too, but I've tried a few different tactics to get around it:
    -Play some background music during meals, so that there is other noise in the room. You could also leave the TV on, or open a window if it's windy/noisy enough outside.
    -Have a conversation going so that there is constant talking. Just make sure not to talk while chewing.
    -Covering one ear can sometimes diminish the noise to a level that you can bear.
    -Muffle your ears with earplugs or bits of toilet paper. Just make sure to do so very secretly!

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I'm only liek that when I'm not in a good mood.

5. Stuie

I'm a little bit like that but with Velcro ripping and styrofoam rubbing against something. Those two noises kill my ears, which is the reason I cannot stand wearing anything with Velcro or really even just looking at it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't really gave a coping strategy other than trying to avoid it, but you can't do that with food. :S I sympathise completely and good luck!

6. Silvermark

The one sound I cannot physically stand is the sound of marker pens... That squeak gets right under my skin and makes me cringe. It's painful...
    So I know where you're coming from sort of.