1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ugh! why do I always push the envelope with my friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ander Blue, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    I came out to my friends (a group of 6 guys) this past month, and now that I'm home and seeing them all, we're having a great time. One thing about me is that I'm a cuddle monster - I love physical contact and sorta crave it. Two of my friends (tanner and mark) somehow know this about me and are understanding of it. When we're hanging out and watching a movie or something, they let me saddle up next to 'em and they don't mind if I cuddle a bit into them. Just the other day in fact, I was over at one of my friends' house and mark was there too. We watched Nick and Nora: Infinite Playlist, and Mark let me cuddle up next to him for the movie. After the movie, I didn't want to go anywhere or stop cuddling, so I just laid my head down in his lap. While we were starting up another movie he actually started playing with my hair, something that I personally think feels absolutely amazing. It was really sweat too because I had told him earlier that day that I wanted to get a haircut, and he played with my hair a while and sculpted it into a fo-fohawk, telling me he thinks that would look really cool when I get my haircut. It's things like this that I love about my friends. We can be close to each other without going over any boundaries. We can make each other feel good and loved, and it's just awesome.

Just by nature of the things we do together, my group of friends and I often find ourselves crashing at each other's house in masse. Because of the amount of coach space normally available, it's pretty normal that we're all crammed together somewhere. This is where things happen that I don't quite understand. Being my human-contact-craving self, I still love to saddle right up to my friends and be near someone when I sleep. Never do I ever get any help with that though. I don't really get it though. Mark and Tanner clearly don't mind me being close to them when we're hanging out, but why is it that I can't do something similar when we're all going to be knocked out for the night? Also, it seems that I can't ever learn from this either. I've been 'rejected' time after time, and I can't help myself from trying over and over again. Why can't I just take to heart that they don't want me near when they're sleeping and leave them their own space? Why do I always have to push the envelope?

Here's another example, this New Year's, my friends and I partied over at another of my friends' house. There were a ton of extended friends there so when it came time to pass out on a coach, there wasn't room in the one house. I went with my friend mark, and another of my close friends to the house of two girlfriends close by. We had a pretty big group for that house alone too, so mark, my other friend and I ended up sharing a bed. Knowing myself, I took a side of the bed and hugged the ledge as much as possible when we first got in, I know what I do, and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. Mark settled into the center of the bed and my other friend was on his other side. What do you know, but give it and hour and a half of sleep and I'm saddled up against mark. argh. at some point though, mark gets up out of bed and goes and sleeps on the floor. I feel horrible because I know it was me that made him feel uncomfortable and drove him to sleeping on the hard floor D: The next morning though, after waking and still laying around in bed, mark hops right back in and lets me cuddle! What's up with this? What is happening? I feel like there is a line I'm crossing somewhere, but I don't know what it is?

2. pteen

I know exactly how u feel, sometimes i wake up hugging my pillow

But he could probably be in shock, maybe he's trying to make up his mind and it keeps , changing when u guys go to bed, probably due 2 the fact that he's being cuddled by another guy in a bed. If that's not the case then i'll hav to rethink

3. AsrielGoat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with above post.

My solution, come cuddle with me. I love being cuddled!

4. tylerzane69

maybe because when your cuddling with friends around there isnt the chance anyone would think you two are doing anything or the fact that there is more of a connection, but when your cuddling in bed that is a more intimate spot and maybe he doesnt fell comfortable letting you into that intimate place, and as most guys go... we get hard ons when were in bed whether they are purposely there or involuntary they do arise and maybe he doesnt want to take the chance of feeling your penis rise against his ass... just be greatful that you have understanding friends and that you guys are comfortable around each other, but remember there are boundaries... i am learning that the hard way...

5. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

maybe there wasnt enough room in the bed for him to sleep comfortably? 3 guys to one bed sounds like alot and i know if it was me i would ave moved to teh floor.

a person needs space to move when sleeping.

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah It could be that he just doesn't sleep well with someone cuddling him. I know that I cant sleep if i have someone wrapped around me. Three people on a bed, i'd probably sleep on the floor too.

7. crazydude

I'm right there with bluecat :slight_smile:

just be thankful you have friends that are as open as they are

8. kramer362

I'm gay, and I don't like sleeping (not sex) with the guy I'm seeing because I sleep like shit if I can't get comfortable and that's really tough with someone against you. Don't take it personally, take cues from his awake and conscious state that he doesn't mind :icon_wink

9. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Thank you all (*hug*)

tylerzane, what you said makes sense - i never really thought of that.

As for being comfortable while sleeping being the number one thing - im right there with you. It's weird really. I can try to sleep next to someone, and it usually works. As soon as there's some sort of contact though, I'll wake up, and only be able to focus on that contact. It feels like it's impossible for me to not try and cuddle at that point, as if I have to have more cuddling. Ugh, it's hell. It shoots me awake and I can't think of anything else really except trying to make contact. After a while it just feels like dreamstate, I lose track of time and can't tell if I'm sleeping or not. I doubt I'd ever be able to go to sleep really. In the past it's always been that rejection that's broken off my need and allowed me to finally get sleep.

#9 Ander Blue, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there's a big difference between cuddling with someone when the two of you are awake and cuddling with someone while sleeping. Apart from the whole overheating/comfort/room issues, it just seems a heck of a lot more intimate, and so it might just be that.

I just think it's pretty unbelievable you have 1, let alone 2, guy friends who are okay cuddling with you. That doesn't sound too standard (to me at least).

As for why you find yourself constantly pushing the envelope--well, it's one thing to know something with your head and it's totally another to understand it in your heart. If you're young and gay and single and haven't had a lot of romantic experiences, it's totally normal that you'd crave physical affection. I think a ton of people crave it, probably a lot more than we let on or even realise. It's also, I figure, harder for guys because most guys are not by default physically affectionate (especially with other guys) so it's just obviously going to be more of an issue for guys than girls.

What you have to do is try not to beat yourself up over it. Talk to yourself in your head, remind yourself that their rejection of cuddling you in bed is not a rejection of you, remind yourself you're lucky to have cuddly guy friends, and remind yourself that it's okay to feel the need for human contact but you're not always going to get as much as you want, and it's not because you're not worthy of it or because no one wants to give it to you... it's just not something you can depend on 24/7. But more than anything, it's okay to want it. But try to see that there's a difference between it being okay for you to want it and pushing others for it.

Hope that helps.

11. Connor22

ditto (&&&)(!)

12. Average89

it sounds like you asking for too much on your friends behalf. he's only a friend. Be respectful and humble. Think about it, Their UNDERSTANDING ... not WILLING.

when moments like this happen, just stop and breathe for like a minute or two. clear your thoughts out. When those moments come, you let your feelings get the best of you. You shouldn't be thinking that this one night maybe just change your life forever because your friend accidentally touched your ass while you guys were sleeping. i know that didnt happen but im just making up a scenario. lol

Just chill and enjoy the fact that you have friends who comfortable with themselves and comfortable around you. in fact i'm a little jealous. lol

Hoped i help.

13. Maxi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have only come out to my boyfrnd today and he is takingit very goog

Dont think about it to much,Be happy they accept you for who you are

Maxi

14. BudderMC

^ while your advice is appreciated guys, just try and make a note to look at the date of the posts - the OP posted this 2 years ago, and likely doesn't need the advice anymore.

15. Maxi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry i am still new

16. RileyTaylor

RileyTaylor Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since this happens pretty often, wouldn't it be easier for you guys to just lock threads that are older than X months/years old or haven't been active in a while?

Would be better than scaring people off who don't know any better.

17. BudderMC

As far as I understand it, locked threads end up getting deleted or can't be searched after some time or something. I can't remember specifically what, but we like to leave old threads because they can be a good resource for some people in similar situations, but locking them removes that purpose.