1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30, any advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sicsemper79, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Sicsemper79

I am 30 now and first came out to a few people in my mid-20's. I am still not out "publicly" or to my family, although I date guys and my close friends know.

Different people's situations call for different times to come out. When I was in highschool, I did not even know of, much less actually know, a single out gay person. I went to a college where there was not a single out student. I then served in Iraq and North Africa where people are routinely kidnapped and killed for being openly gay.

Now I am back in the US at a time and in a place where gays are reasonably accepted. Although I am in a business where I don't know a lot of out people. I am just now being more public about my orientation. Not because I was not comfortable with who I am... I have been very happy and comfortable with the fact that I am gay for many years, but because I was in situations where coming out was not advisable or sometimes even safe.

Now I am kind of stuck. Being out has never been an option for me. I am back in my home town now. My parents are proud of my. I own a home. I work in my family business and I am respected and known in my city. How in the hell am I supposed to come out? My parents are conservative, but I don't think they will flip out... I am 30 and on my own and not asking them for anything. Any advice out there? I am not a kid anymore and there are people who I have lied to for a long time. I wish I hadn't, but I did.

2. olides84

Hi there. I don't think you're stuck. Instead, I think it sounds like the perfect time to come out and finally tell those closest to you something else about you. Before, whether it was being in the military or just away from home, it was easier to just live your life and hide your orientation from family/friends back home. Now it'll be harder to do that, and it sounds like you don't want to either. And that's the important thing. Just gain the confidence that you can deal with the reactions, be patient and answer questions that people will have, and trust that good people will ultimately be quite accepting.

And you shouldn't worry about 'lying' for a long time. Most will understand, and given your living and working situations, it sounds like it was the prudent thing. I mean, even Uncle Sam told you to 'not tell.' :icon_wink

3. Sicsemper79

Thanks for the response. It does seem that easy, doesn't it? I have just been closeted for so long that it is unnatural for me to talk about it with anyone. I don't fit ANY gay stereotypes (aside from the fact that I am a really big fan of guys...) and I think there will be a little surprise. Not so much from the people who know me well, but from the people who do not know me well... People who come up to me and point out pretty girls and talk about war stories other stuff.

On top of that, there will be a lot of talk in my parent's social circle. I don't care too much about that, but it can get nasty. They have been wonderful parents and I have worked very hard to make them proud of me and try to reflect well back upon them. They are from a different generation and I don't think that is going to go easily for them. (I know, I know... that is no excuse for not being who I am... my life... i am an adult... etc... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

Frankly this is quite difficult for me. I knew it would be when I agreed to move back here, but it is more difficult than I thought it would be. I have considered just leaving and moving somewhere else but I love being near my family and many friends. I have a very good job. I am respected and known. I don't want to give that up if I don't have to.

Yes, I know what I have to do... I just need to vent a little bit and have a couple of people tell me it is the right thing to do.

4. mmilam75

I've experienced a lot of the same feelings and a very similiar situation (full disclosure, I've only started the coming out process in the last year or so, and I am 34 now). I knew for the longest time that I was gay, but I felt trapped...my family were all very religious, so I assumed they would not be accepting of me once I came out. There came a point in time, though, and this sounds like where you are at, where I couldn't stand lying to myself or to the people I cared about. When I came out to my mom, she floored me by being completely accepting, her exact words were "you are my son, I'll always love you and nothing can change that". That's key to remember - you are their son and, particularly given that you are on your own and not necessarily dependent on your parents for anything, the love they feel for you should override all other considerations.

I would only suggest two things for you. Since 2010 just started, this might be a good time for you to come out to your parents...tell them that, with the start of a New Year, you want to start fresh with them and your relationship with them, and that means being honest about who you are....that might be a route you could take to open up the discussion. Also, remember that there's no "ideal" time for people to come out - it has to be both when you are ready and at a pace that you feel comfortable with. In the circle of people you know, start by coming out to people you feel comfortable with who may not be close friends but that you feel comfortable coming out to because you are fairly assured of their reaction. That will give you a confidence boost you can use to eventually come out to your family members as well.

I know what you're going through, though, because I've walked much the same path in the last year - it may seem very difficult at times, but it is better on the other side. Good luck, and please feel free to send me a PM if you ever need someone to vent to who can definitely relate...good luck!

5. RaeofLite

I think if people know and respect you for who you are (even though they may not know you as being gay), then maybe they will come around and realize that gay people aren't all that "scary". Maybe you could even help out someone else who's struggling with the same issues just by being "out". I know I have a couple times simply by being comfortable with it and living a 'normal' life like everyone else.

I still commend you for waiting that long. That's... wow. I don't think I could have been in the closet that long. I hate lying...

Anyway, I wish you luck. I'd advise you maybe talk to your closest/best friends first. You need solid support when coming out before you tell others you're not as close with or who aren't as 'gay friendly' or others that don't know you well.

6. Sicsemper79

Thanks! I will definitely talk to some close friends first. I am sure that some of my closest friends wont be that shocked (i am pro-gay and don't ever date women), but some will. It is still pretty scary though bro... you can't untell someone that you are a big ole homo. And in my situation, it will spread wide and fast. Once I cross that line, there is NO going back. I have spent 30 years not crossing that line. I don't know if I have it in me to do it.

7. RaeofLite

(*hug*) I know you can do it. If I can do it in my hometown of 4,000 or so people (where gossip is the most entertaining thing to other than go to a coffee shop or a one-movie-at-a-time cinema), then you can do it. :grin:

If you are unsure of things at first, tell your friends that know you are progay and ok with it and let them know that you're not ready for everyone to know yet so just keep it between you two. If they're good friends and trustworthy enough they should keep your confidence til you are ready.

8. mmilam75

I don't think that's true and I suspect that you don't either. I mean, really, think about what you've already done - when compared to dodging bullets, this doesn't quite rank up there in terms of danger, right? You had what it took to serve in the military, so this should be no problem for you. As was said by others...build a support network, both here on EC and with others that you know in your real world social network. That way, if you do get a negative reaction, you have a support network you can fall back on to help you out during those times. Remember, too, that it's not a race - you don't get a cookie for coming out before someone else, LOL :grin: In all seriousness, dude, just take it at a pace that you're comfortable with. You're right that it's not like this is something you can take back once you say it (although once you come out, I'm pretty sure you won't want to)...just make sure you build a support network for yourself that can help as you slowly ease your way out of the closet publically and I think you're going to be OK :thumbsup:

9. Sicsemper79

Its true, I have done some dangerous and scary things. I will tell you though, nothing I have done up to this point has scared me like this. I have gone into battle on numerous occasions understanding that I could die. I accepted that as a possible reality and moved forward anyway. As strange as it may sound though, that was easier. I was never worried about losing the respect of the people I love in war. In this, there is this nagging feeling that by putting myself out there like this, I could be left alone... a 30 year old guy who has worked in more than 20 countries and 5 continents, a graduate of a prestigious university, a successful business man; defined by one three letter word.

I know how melodramatic that is. I know that isn't what is going to happen. But that is where my apprehension comes from.

#9 Sicsemper79, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  10. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

well i hope that when you decide to come out tp everyone things will go smoothly for you. i think people should remember after that the respect they had for you for soo many reasons is still there. you are still the same person. i think that you are maybe the first person i have saw that is in the army on here. well done. you totally get my respect!! and good luck!!!!

11. Sicsemper79

Thank you for your compliment. In the spirit of full disclosure, while I did work for the US Government in foreign armed service, I was not in the Army. I am now a civilian. :thumbsup:

12. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

lol u look like a soldier.

13. Sicsemper79

LOL, sometimes it was hard to tell the difference... But its poor form not to clarify. Don't want any of those cute soldiers out there to get mad at me. :icon_wink

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I often make the comparision between coming out and standing naked in front of a bunch of people. Both situations make you feel really vulnerable, and have the potential to make you feel ashamed or embarrassed. And if you think about it, and you had to do it, you would probably rather be naked in front of a bunch of people you don't know and will never see again, or people who are your very best friends and you know won't judge you, than people you know well. The same, for most of us, applies to disclosing our sexuality when we are closeted.

The value in looking at the situation this way is to realize that coming out is, in a very real sense, making yourself, and elements about you you've kept covered up, visible to those around you. And people will talk a little. And maybe a few will judge. You feel really vulnerable at the idea, and it's scary as shit. But when you really look at it logically, you realize that there really isn't anything to be ashamed about. Being gay is who you are, it's something that you share with tens of millions of other Americans.

Just like being naked, when you sit and think about it, there's nothing shameful about being gay, it's just that people aren't used to it, and people often judge, at first glance, things they are afraid of. Being gay doesn't say anything different about you as a person other than the fact that you're attracted to the same sex.

While there's no pressure to come out, the fact you're thinking about it and posting here means you are tired of holding onto that secret. So I think you *are* ready to do it. Starting with close, supportive friends is a great first step, and build on that from there. If you feel really, really unsure, then find a therapist and spend a handful of sessions discussing the issue with him/her. That will help clarify things and you can develop a game plan, if you need help.

Feel free to PM me (or post here) if you'd like any further suggestions or need any additional clarification.

15. EM68

First of all Welcome to EC and thank you for your service! :smilewave

Being 30 you are still relatively young and it sounds like your have a pretty stable life and are comfortable in being gay. You are fairly well ahead of many here at EC when coming out. I just started coming out last year when I was 40. I was dating and had a bit of a social life and it could to a point where I wanted to share this with my family. I was scared at first but realized that its my life and I need to live it.

I came out to my parents by letter. They both took it well. My dad said 'so you are still my son'. After a few months I came out to pretty much all of my friends and family. If you plan to come out by letter there is a section on EC.

http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php

Everyone pretty much gave you some great advice. Coming out is not a race. Come out to your parents, friends and coworkers at you own pace. When I came out to my parents, I gave them a booklet 'Our Daughters, Our Sons' by PFLAG. If you have any concerns, questions, fears or just want to rant hang out here for a while. You can PM us or post on our walls. We are pretty friendly. :slight_smile:

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Now I am kind of stuck. Being out has never been an option for me. I am back in my home town now. My parents are proud of my. I own a home. I work in my family business and I am respected and known in my city. How in the hell am I supposed to come out?

Coming out isn't (necessarily) some big public announcement. You don't have to throw a "coming out party" or send out a mass e-mail. Coming out just means not living the lie anymore. Not necessarily telling everybody you possibly can about your sexual orientation, but basically not caring who knows. Treating it like it's no big deal, because it IS no big deal.

There's one technique that I sometimes suggest to people, especially those in your situation. (A bit older, not horribly ashamed or in a dangerous spot.) Act like everybody already knows. The fact that you're 30 and presumably haven't been dating at all is usually looked at as mildly suspicious, so I doubt people are going to be overly stunned by the revelation. And no, you can't undo telling people you're a big ol homo. But they know, you won't have to worry about whether they know you're a big ol homo or not, right? And it's that worry, that uncertainty, that's causing the issue.

Lex

17. Gaetan

You are a 30 year old guy who has worked in more than 20 countries and 5 continents, a graduate of a prestigious university, and a successful business man that just happens to be gay. It is not what defines you, it's just another part of you.

18. s5m1

Hi there and welcome to EC. You are certainly not alone, and it is never too late. It actually took me until I was over 40 to come out. I have a somewhat similar background to you in many respects. I grew up in a very conservative family and at a time and in a place where homophobia was perfectly acceptable. I did not know a single gay person growing up. Coming out in school would have been the kiss of death. I am also a professional with a successful career. I have held some prominent and very public positions in the community. Earlier in my career, I also worked in a very macho area, law enforcement. I was much more terrified of coming out than I was of confronting bad guys.

Now that I am out, I laugh sometimes when I think about how much worse the fear was than the reality. I have not yet had a bad reaction. I am not ashamed of being gay, and I convey that. Being gay is just a part of who I am, not all of me. I still like to drink beer, eat wings and watch football. People who know me understand that. They also understand why I did not come out earlier. I have yet to find someone who was upset that I "lied" to them previously. To the contrary, I have had many people thank me for trusting them when I come out to them. Everyone who previously knew me as "straight" has been very understanding and empathetic of the internal struggle I went through for decades.

Being out and gay can also be a lot of fun. I can still hang out with a bunch of macho cops, only now I have a whole new area we can joke about. While I won’t get too graphic, you can imagine what can be said about a crème puff for dessert. I am open and confident enough about being gay that I can really enjoy these types of exchanges with my straight friends and family members. (After all, I don’t think guys ever really grow up entirely). Also imagine how much fun it can be to openly go with your partner to office parties or family events. When a woman hit on me at a party recently, my boyfriend jumped in and with great humor, told her I was with him. We all had some fun with it and continued to enjoy the night.

My point of these examples from my life is that you are not alone in what you are experiencing and that coming out can be a very freeing and rewarding experience. There are countless others just like you who have gone through exactly the same thing. Eventually, like you, many of us got tired of hiding who we were and lying to others, so we came out. And, once you do it, life can be really great!

My best advice for you is to come out. Do it at your own pace and when you are ready. It will be hard at first, but it gets easier each time. Therapy can be very helpful. It was for me. Good luck and please keep us updated and let us know how we can help.

#18 s5m1, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  19. Sicsemper79

First of all, WOW!!! Thank all of you so much for your encouraging words and advice. I was so very pleased to have found this site. I cannot begin to tell you how good it feels to know that there are people out there who are going through what I am going through.

I have decided to talk to a couple who are friends of mine (straight of course) tomorrow afternoon. I am relatively sure they have figured this whole situation out already, but it is still very tough. They are in the very group to which I am terrified to come out. I am hopeful that it will go well and I will update you guys.

I am reminded of a not so happy quote from A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway. However for me, there is inspiration there.

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

If we resign to not be afraid of the worst case scenario then anything short of that is a win. Well, I will not be afraid of it. In other words, screw it... we're all dead men anyway. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

20. olides84

This is a great thread :slight_smile:
    Good luck with telling your friends tomorrow! I'll bet you have a good response :thumbsup: